SPOILER ALERT! X Men DoFP Oakley glasses

defiant00

This week Oakley posted a story about the history of glasses that they have provided for the X Men franchise. They posted a new one from DoFP which Is a variant on the new Radarlock frame, but with a different lens shape and pieces added on the bottom. It doesn't look like it would be a difficult conversion, but I don't have the skill or patience to pull it off, so I figured I'd throw it out to the huge pool of talent that is here on the RPF!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 666
I'm with you on this one, I'd love to get my hands on a pair of these! I've scoured online but haven't been able to turn up any photos of the actual glasses yet.

Honestly, all I want is what's in the pic I posted. I don't care about the sideblinders, I just want the Radarlock with that lens and the bits on the bottom of the lens. I'd rock those for daily wear the same way I do my Ruby Juliets!

Not a fan of the look of those glasses. It reminded me of the large black glasses you see old people wearing to protect their eyes... only the mutant version.

big-sunglasses-e1334598014139.jpg

I'm thinking that someone with a little bit of 3D modeling skill could render the pieces that attach to the bottom of the lens, and the renders could be sent to Shapeways. The markings on the lens could be either laser etched if the equipment is available, vinyl graphics, or masking the lens and painting them on. In the movie, there are side blinders incorporated into the frame (just like on the Juliets and Pennys from the previous films), but I'm not concerned with that, as much as just getting the frame itself completed...

I have someone lined up to cut the lens for me, and possibly laser engrave the graphics on the lens, I'll post pics once I have them in hand. Now I just need the bottom pieces to be 3D modeled and uploaded to Shapeways...

Oh nice! What material are the lenses going to be cut from, and are you going to do them like the movie verison? Very curious to see how they turn out!

Since the lens for the Cyclops version is smaller in height than a stock lens, he's going to cut down a factory Oakley lens. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with a lens color that looks more like what's in the pic (which would be an Oakley VR28 lens), or if I want to go with one that looks more like Ruby (which I'd use an Oakley +Red or OO +Red Polarized lens)...

Last edited:
I called a local lab I use to see if they'd be able to do my normal tinting and coatings that work for the solid red mirror but they said they can't cut blanks for the larger style lenses. If you could get some blanks that were perfectly cut and in pristine condition the lab here would be able to tint them, but only in plastic not polycarbonate as it wouldn't absorb the red tint enough to look all that great.

I just bought a pair of Positive Red Iridium Radars (precursor to the Radarlock, nearly identical) on eBay with the intent of doing just this. Going to cut vinyl for the circuit design on the lens and sculpt up the bottom portion of the frame and repaint it from black to silver. Will it be perfect replica? No. but according to oakley articles they only made four of these things. So my reasonable facsimile will be good enough for a cheap comfortable costume this Dragon Con.

The lens I'm getting is an Oakley VR28 non-iridium lens. After going to see the movie again, and looking at the image from Oakley, it doesn't really look like a Ruby or red mirrored lens, it looks to be a more red-brown lens color (which is exactly what the VR28 lens is)...

Re: X-Men DOFP - Cyclops' New Sunglasses

Sup dude! We actually already have a thread going about them right now although you probably missed it as its not labeled with Cyclops anywhere in the message lol. We're trying to think up ways to do this right now.

Its possible that it could be a VR-28 Lens with a backside mirror, its hard to tell from the lighting in there. I wish we could get some photos of the real prop but I guess that'll have to wait until the Blue-Ray is out.

Couldn't find much in the way of screen caps just yet.

MarsdenCyclops.jpg

cyclopsfilm.jpg

I think the Red/Brown VR-28 Lens might be the correct color, especially if the prop builder only had a couple days to make four of these.

DSC_5581.JPG

That said I'm not much a fan of the color though. If I ever get around to making a replica of these, I'd probably go with a more mirror red look.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back