Which suits do we have permission to 3D print?

Rebo

Well I didn't manage to win a 3D printer so I have decided to build one instead.
The setup I have gone for is a Prusa I3 Single Plate 200x200x200mm build platform should anyone want to know.

While I am waiting for all my bits and what not's to arrive it has just occurred to me that I don't know who has given permission to allow their files to used in this way, what is actually worth using and where to actually find them.

I know some modellers are very protective about their models, they created them so that's their right, but others get a kick from seeing their work come to life.

I don't want to step on toes and just print what I like as I would like to do a build thread here without getting shredded.

So which suits can we use, which are worth using and where can we get the required files to begin modding?

The suit files I would really like to get my hands on are the:-

MK IV
MK VI
MK IIV
MK 42

I know others here have started to make printable parts available (thank you) but that's slow going because they are working at it on their own and if they just decide to stop what then, you're stuck in limbo?

Any files made available to us for splitting down into home printable parts should become an open community effort as this sort of task could end up being a heck of a chore and at least then someone else could pick up the torch and carry on if needed.

First off, pepakura files are not ready to be 3d printed. The walls are way too thin. I hear this all the time....

"You don't have permission to 3d print my model"

To the best that I'm aware, you'd basically need to change the model so that it's manifold. But it is not as easy as everybody wants to make it seem. While many don't give there permission, they don't need to because you can't 3d print the file anyway.

You'll likely need to commission someone to model a 3d printable suit for you.

Let's get this out the way straight away.
We are not talking about 'pep files' here as that's is a very different subject matter.

I understand 3d modelling and can do some myself, just not very good.:/
Some of us however are more than capable of 'reworking' a 3d model to make them printable.

Edit to add:- Sounds like I was trying to be rude and abrupt there, that was not the tone I intended.:)

Last edited:
I'm afraid you've lost me.

What models are you talking about printing? While there are a couple fellows who are sharing 3d print models around here of Iron Man stuff, the main type of file shared around the RPF is a .pdo, a pepakura file. For the Tamasoft program.

Lots of modelers who share their work will often give you some "terms of use". The number one term is you cannot 3d print the file. The point I was making was that a pep file is not the same thing. It's a model, but it's paper thin. To my knowledge, you have to edit or rework the file so it's a thick object, not paper thin.

But I don't know of any "other" models around here, most shared are pepakura files. To use them, you need the permission of the particular modeler. They, at that point, may even fashion you a printable model, I suppose.

its quite easy to work a model to make it 3d printed, but like goshtminion said if you start from a pep file, there's no thickness.
also when a modeler release a pep file you do not have the permission to 3d model it.
you have to pm and figure this out with him/her .
the only available files for 3d printing i know is drumguy's file from zabana's pep file and kenlandrum's files.

honestly if you want to get some really good 3d models you might have to model it yourself or commission someone !

All .PDO files start out as one 3d format or another such as a .OBJ or .DXF to list a few, basically the format of whichever program was used to create the model.

Those type of files are what are required (Hi-res) for 3d printing.
Well sort of, as they would still need modding and converting to .STL then on to actual G-Code that the printer understands.

Pepakura takes a .obj (3d mesh) and converts it to a .pdo format (flattened editable mesh) which is not usable by 3D printers.
If I remember rightly (?) you can export a .OBJ from pep, but for the most part peps are low poly and wouldn't look great when 3D printed.

Pepakura has nothing to do with this thread other than that might have been the original use for the '3D File'.

and just to quote myself...

I know some modellers are very protective about their models, they created them so that's their right, but others get a kick from seeing their work come to life.

Last edited:
All .PDO files start out as one 3d format or another such as a .OBJ or .DXF to list a few, basically the format of whichever program was used to create the model.

Those type of files are what are required (Hi-res) for 3d printing.
Well sort of, as they would still need modding and converting to .STL then on to actual G-Code that the printer understands.

Pepakura takes a .obj (3d mesh) and converts it to a .pdo format (flattened editable mesh) which is not usable by 3D printers.
If I remember rightly (?) you can export a .OBJ from pep, but for the most part peps are low poly and wouldn't look great when 3D printed.

Pepakura has nothing to do with this thread other than that might have been the original use for the '3D File'.

and just to quote myself...
Lol i know how 3d modelling work ;)
what i meant is : you have a thread to know which files ou have the permission to print. the only files available in this forum is either pepfiles or drumguy and kenlandrum files.
in the first post you ask which files are worth modding and which one you have the permission to print..

well if pep has nothing to do with this thread, which files are you talking about when you ask for the permission to print ?

Lol i know how 3d modelling work ;)
what i meant is : you have a thread to know which files ou have the permission to print. the only files available in this forum is either pepfiles or drumguy and kenlandrum files.
in the first post you ask which files are worth modding and which one you have the permission to print..

well if pep has nothing to do with this thread, which files are you talking about when you ask for the permission to print ?

That's my question. What "other" files? Most of the files I've seen commonly shared are in .pdo form, as to be used with the Tamasoft programs.

Sorry Omarbou that post was not directed at you.

Forget pep files!......:/

I know Drumguy and Kenlandrum have released parts.

I don't know the source Kenlandrum's, his own work?
I know the source of Drumguys files, but was permission given to use the whole suit and was it just given to him alone to mod?

I don't read all the posts so I don't know the whys and wherefores of any particular agreements but I do know there are other models floating around out there.

This thread is being made more complicated than it needs to be.

Stop mentioning pep!

Has any modeller released their '3D model files' to the forum at large and if so which ones?
If there are none, then there are none.

Sorry Omarbou that post was not directed at you.

Forget pep files!......:/

I know Drumguy and Kenlandrum have released parts.

I don't know the source Kenlandrum's, his own work?
I know the source of Drumguys files, but was permission given to use the whole suit and was it just given to him alone to mod?

I don't read all the posts so I don't know the whys and wherefores of any particular agreements but I do know there are other models floating around out there.

This thread is being made more complicated than it needs to be.

Stop mentioning pep!

Has any modeller released their '3D model files' to the forum at large and if so which ones?
If there are none, then there are none.

Now I understand what your saying.

Although, I believe the answer in none.

Giving away a 3d printable file is really no different from giving away a scratch-built prop, materials cost aside. I don't see much of that happening on this forum :lol

If you are sinking a considerable amount of money into a 3d print setup, I would recommend putting all the hours in to become proficient on the software to make the models yourself. Again, like scratchbuilding, it's a learning curve. No shortcuts.

Giving away a 3d printable file is really no different from giving away a scratch-built prop, materials cost aside. I don't see much of that happening on this forum :lol

While I agree with you for the most part not everyone is in it for the money that they can make.
Times are a changing and a modeller could get a heck of a rep having his\her name associated with an emerging technology such as this.

If you are sinking a considerable amount of money into a 3d print setup, I would recommend putting all the hours in to become proficient on the software to make the models yourself. Again, like scratchbuilding, it's a learning curve. No shortcuts.

It doesn't cost as much as you would think if you are prepared to build it yourself, total cost for all the required parts has set me back £304.oo.
There are thing all of us will never be able to do well no matter how much effort we put in.

While I agree with you for the most part not everyone is in it for the money that they can make.
Times are a changing and a modeller could get a heck of a rep having his\her name associated with an emerging technology such as this.

Good luck with that.

There are thing all of us will never be able to do well no matter how much effort we put in.

I tried it. I'm pretty good with Illustrator, but 3D is a completely different mindset. Maybe with proper training, but with just online tutorials I'm only ever going to manage pretty simple stuff. So I get what you're saying. Personally I would find it just too frustrating to have a printer and be reliant on others to do the work.

I would have to agree completely. We have some very talented people here that are sharing their modeling work with the community for free to use as .pdo files. It is not okay to take these files without permission. If you want to 3d print something, you need to be ready to take your shot at modeling or paying for this hard work. I have started modeling myself last year and I enjoy it very much. Syrus54 has some good tips on that for starters and there a lot of Tutorials out there to teach you what you need. Also: there are affordable 3d models out there too. You just need to look for them.

What I enjoy most about this forum is how people teach each other how to do some pretty awesome creative stuff and the craftsmanship to make something out of nothing. That being said I don't think there is much sense in coming here and asking for freebies as a lot of people do.
I think it is the right thing of you to ask what files are permitted to be printed but you should understand that people who put a lot of hours and hard work into creating something like a HD 3d printable version of an Iron Man suit would like to be compensated. That is just fair.

There are other ways to entice.

Pipe dream scenario...........

Lets just say there are a few more than now with printer who share the common goal of owning their own Ironman.

They get a modeller on board who is willing to release print-ready sections of a suit in return for a print of that section.
It is in his best interest then to make the model sections amazing quality.
Then when he receives his part he releases the next section to the group and so on....
If the group stalls and no one sends a part the next section isn't released.

Providing everyone does their fair share everyone wins.
Print guys get their suit and the modeller get to see his own work in real-life.

I see holes in this as I am typing but I thought it worth putting out there.

I would have to agree completely. We have some very talented people here that are sharing their modeling work with the community for free to use as .pdo files. It is not okay to take these files without permission. If you want to 3d print something, you need to be ready to take your shot at modeling or paying for this hard work. I have started modeling myself last year and I enjoy it very much. Syrus54 has some good tips on that for starters and there a lot of Tutorials out there to teach you what you need. Also: there are affordable 3d models out there too. You just need to look for them.

What I enjoy most about this forum is how people teach each other how to do some pretty awesome creative stuff and the craftsmanship to make something out of nothing. That being said I don't think there is much sense in coming here and asking for freebies as a lot of people do.I think it is the right thing of you to ask what files are permitted to be printed but you should understand that people who put a lot of hours and hard work into creating something like a HD 3d printable version of an Iron Man suit would like to be compensated. That is just fair.
Emphasis mine

Freebies?.... Is this an e-commerce or a hobbyist forum?

Did Syrus54 ask you to pay for the tutorials?
Did DF and other (sorry other guys minds gone blank) ever ask to be paid for their .pdo's?
Did Joe blogs ask for payment for that tip in casting that saves ££££\$$$$?

Some people actually come here to share their work and ideas for others to use. People who are in the hobby for fun and not what they can make out of it, is this a strange concept to you?
So please don't try to make me feel small and leechy for asking if there is such and such available for free.

I know some guys want to be paid for their work and that is their prerogative.

Last edited:
Here's how it goes. Person A making prop spends hundreds of hours honing their art. Person then spends many, many, more hours crafting the prop you desire in the 3d modelling program of their choice.

Person A then posts their work on the RPF, either as a showoff or an interest thread.

Person B then says, 'Hey dude, can I use your model to print out that cool prop. I'm not gonna pay you for the hundreds of hours of work that you put into it, because this is a community about sharing, not making dough'

Person A says 'No. I share reference, tips, builds guides, tutorials and anything else I can do to help you improve your art. I do not, however, give my art away for free. I have spent many weeks on this project and like any artist, I have to feed my children. I have honed my skill and learned my art to make my way in a world that is hostile and commercial and demands much. If you too read, learn, practice, improve, build, share wisdom, and you will understand the path I have taken and the decision I have made.'

Sorry to come over all Zen, but say hello to the world.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back