Help!! :) - Unable to view images on my camera that I created outside my camera?

enaswede

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Hi, I have a luke anh macrobinoculars prop created by "trooper" with a video camera installed inside that takes photos (in VGA format) and video (AVI format) and stores them on a micro sd card. I can move the photos and videos created through the camera back and forth from the camera to my pc and can view them on both no problem. But when I try to create a image on my pc and view it on my camera I am unable to view the image. Each photo created through the video camera has an image size of 640x480 at 72dpi formatted as a jpg. The manual says they are "VGA" images. My goal is to be able to view any image I create in photoshop from my pc on the macrobinoculars but it is not working. I am assuming that there is some additional formatting issues I am missing that is keeping the photos I create in photoshop from displaying on the video camera. I have included two photos below, one that is viewable on the video camera and one that I created on photoshop and does not view on the video camera... if some wanted to look at them to help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

01.JPG

IMAGE VIEWABLE ON VIDEO CAMERA:
http://www.andersonsonline.com/_clients/fxsabers/mac_img/yes.zip

IMAGE NOT VIEWABLE ON VIDEO CAMERA:
http://www.andersonsonline.com/_clients/fxsabers/mac_img/no.zip

Any help is appreciated. :cry

Thanks,

Last edited:
I can't help. but the same thing happened to me. when I tried to put a pic on the card of a regular camera. want open picture file...

Could be the location of the files. Can you take a screenshot of your SD card directory?
I am copying the files into the same directory where any new photos I take with the camera are automatically placed. Which is the following path...

\\DCIM\100SCIM\
Capture2.JPG

When I place the files in the same directory I discovered that I have to name the files in the following naming convention "PIC0001.jpg" for the camera to even see that the files exist <does show the correct number of files> but they still will not view on screen. I get the following error on screen "file format unrecognized". :(

Hokay, this is because your camera keeps an internal database of the images that are on the card. A PC doesn't care about that database because it just views the raw files, but the camera will care because it needs to be able to generate the thumbnail for the image and keep track of metadata bits and bobs.

You will likely notice that if you change your folder view settings on your PC to "Show hidden files and folders", there is a file called "thumbs.db" or something similar on the card. That is the database file which your camera uses. If you add a file to the card, even if you put it in the right directory, that file doesn't exist in the database file, so it won't be able to query it when you're viewing them.

Hope this helps.

Hokay, this is because your camera keeps an internal database of the images that are on the card. A PC doesn't care about that database because it just views the raw files, but the camera will care because it needs to be able to generate the thumbnail for the image and keep track of metadata bits and bobs.

You will likely notice that if you change your folder view settings on your PC to "Show hidden files and folders", there is a file called "thumbs.db" or something similar on the card. That is the database file which your camera uses. If you add a file to the card, even if you put it in the right directory, that file doesn't exist in the database file, so it won't be able to query it when you're viewing them.

Hope this helps.

Makes since... thanks... so just to make sure I leave no options open.... there is no way to get around or edit the database file on the camera to force this to work?

Makes since... thanks... so just to make sure I leave no options open.... there is no way to get around or edit the database file on the camera to force this to work?

You might be able to find software to edit the files, but I don't know of any off hand. If you can find the hidden .db files on the SD card, try opening one in Notepad and see whats inside it. If it's plain text you might be able to duplicate an entry and insert a new line, but if it's gibberish you probably won't have much luck, sorry.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back