Airbrushes for beginners

ZachWinks

So I love modeling and painting and I have always wanted to get an airbrush, but have no idea where to start investing, or what to invest in. Help me rpf you're my only hope!

Well I can tell you how I started and DON"T do it that way. My first airbrush was a Badger 350
350.jpg
Single action external mix. It was more of a paint bomb than an airbrush.

My next one was a Badger 200 single action internal mix
200NH.jpg
This is a great low cost airbrush. I can paint R/C carbodies with it or I can dial down the paint and air and fill out a check with it (did that once and it was accepted :) )

Mine is about 18 years old now and still going strong. the only thing I've had to replace was a Teflon washer which I washed down the drain...idiot!

ive only recently started and bought a compressor with a built in tank.
not an expensive one, but it works great.
i also bought a couple of cheap airbrushes made by Veda which were good
but i just bought a veda with an adjustable Air valve and it is great.
i know the Paasch and Iwata purists will frown at it, but it works great for me and very adjustable.
It only cost £25 from Amazon, but ive just finished spraying some latex onto a mask and it never coughed once!,

the cheaper ones have sprayed acrylics and enamels very well, but didnt fare so well with latex.

Thanks all for the responses, but Claymore61 brought up a second question: Is it ok to start with canned air and the get a compressor, or should I just get it all at once?

I don't know where you are but canned air is expensive in the uk.
I have a big compressor, but it's for big tools and gets noisy, so I bought one from eBay.
I got one with a fitted tank so it cuts out automatically and is a lot less noisy.
I even have mine in a small cupboard underneath my work top so I hardly hear it.
It cost me about £65 with 2 airbrushed.

Canned air is quiet in comparison, but it is more expensive. If you are only spraying small models or props, or are in an apartment situation, its a good option though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

I think your best bet for the buck would be an Iwata top feed...something like a HP-C PlusIwata High Performance Plus HP-C Plus. It's a work horse and great investment that will last you years if you take care of it. Real Japanese Steel...nothing beats Iwata. I tried a few brands out there and nothing feels like an Iwata. iwata High Performance Series Airbrushes

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back