pepakura curiosity

wolf90

Hey all this is a random question but i thought ill get some advice from people who has more experience then me... in regards to putting together the the pep pieces i always finish on the borders, which is annoying and i find somewhat time wasting... so is it needed at all? or can you just skip it?

Are the borders needed? I know what you mean - fiddly and always the last bit to be completed.

Personally I find that they do offer quite a bit of stiffness and help keep the shape more accurate the resin is setting.

Often I will widen the border to make them easier to handle, and so that rondo will pool easier in the corners.

Most of the time they are there purely to add stiffness to the build, and if I can get away without doing them I will.

yeah because of how time consuming pep builds are, i switched over to foam, but you have to use your judgement on whats needed and not, but keep in mind you always gotta find a way to keep the pieces shape from warming when you fiberglass. usually its best to go all out for the helmet because that is probably one of the pieces that draw the most attention and require the most work to refine.

Are the borders needed? I know what you mean - fiddly and always the last bit to be completed.

Personally I find that they do offer quite a bit of stiffness and help keep the shape more accurate the resin is setting.

Often I will widen the border to make them easier to handle, and so that rondo will pool easier in the corners.

Most of the time they are there purely to add stiffness to the build, and if I can get away without doing them I will.

thanks for the advice it makes sense

yeah because of how time consuming pep builds are, i switched over to foam, but you have to use your judgement on whats needed and not, but keep in mind you always gotta find a way to keep the pieces shape from warming when you fiberglass. usually its best to go all out for the helmet because that is probably one of the pieces that draw the most attention and require the most work to refine.

yea i made my previous suit part fibreglass part foam and i found the fibreglass more enjoyable to build for some reason

Hey all this is a random question but i thought ill get some advice from people who has more experience then me... in regards to putting together the the pep pieces i always finish on the borders, which is annoying and i find somewhat time wasting... so is it needed at all? or can you just skip it?

To sum it up, yes, you need the borders. It all varies depending on what you are building, but from the builds I've done, the thinner borders suck, and the edge may not stay rigid. Thicker borders seem to work better.

But think about it like a puzzle. You need the borders to complete it.

Just my 2 cents.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back