Dead Space "Black Marker" + various scratch-built ancillary props - NEW PICS PAGE 3!

Re: Dead Space "Black Marker" + various scratch-built ancillary props

Wow! The weathering on that first lamp is amazing, this going to be awesome when its done :cool

thanks, i hope so!

i've got a big update coming up later this week. lots of detail work!

This looks great so far! Keep it up! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

whoa, didn't expect my thread to get moved to the actual replica prop section, but i guess the mods saw fit to do so. :lol

it's come to my attention that some folks might be interested in the pepakura file for the marker itself. i do indeed plan to release it, i'll add it to the first post for download by all.

that said, this is the full-detail grooved version, and it is SO detailed - especially towards the top - that printing it out large is probably the only way to get a reasonable build. furthermore, since i haven't quite completed my own build of it, i'd feel bad if there's a bad fold or tab or something that i missed. closer to the end of this build, i'll have it done, and i'll upload the file then. :)

update 6: ribbed for your pleasure :lol

the dead space universe is known for its emphasis on neo-gothic architecture. this basically translates to a lot of repeated vertical shapes, ribbing, offset right angles, lots of layering, and few curves.

here are a few example screenshots from the game, showing off the ribbed environments aboard the doomed mining ship Ishimura:

dF0GL5H.jpg

kBSmnVp.jpg

Now, my goal with this scene i'm crafting is to place the Black Marker within a proper context. I'm telling a story. :p

A Marker has been found on a remote mining colony. Recently unearthed during a cave-in, workers started noticing visions of dead loved ones, headaches, and homicidal hallucinations as a result of the Marker's alien energies. Soon enough, those energies spread, and deceased flesh was transformed and twisted into the ruthless living dead known as necromorphs. The outbreak was quick and brutal. Some survived long enough to warn others in their dying moments....

deliciously creepy! :devil

anyway, my job was to bring some of that classic environment design to my scene, so I designed a raised walkway that will look out at the massive Marker.

First off, i looked at the reference screenshots from the game, and then opened GIMP and slapped together a small template, emphasizing the angular appearance of Dead Space beams and girders:

O7Mwg1N.png

from there, i printed it out and pasted it on a piece of throwaway plastic from a set of old blinds, then cut it out. It was mostly a mess, but i gained enough from seeing it and manipulating it to get a good idea of where I wanted to go.

Then it was off to the craft store, where I bought a load of styrene and got to work...

I wanted the walkway itself to be grated, but the store only sold normal "siding" solid styrene. I had to get to work with my exacto knife, and my fingers are still aching...

QVt9Pgr.jpg

4xnaggN.jpg

hQ626sX.jpg

KfuGtuw.jpg

fortunately, I seem to have the scale right:

fzVw8qX.jpg

Moving on to the supports for the raised walkway, i hope i captured some of that Dead Space flavor:

fAMpiPZ.jpg

cI2jgow.jpg

x7gnQSV.jpg

At this point, i couldn't help taking some double-sided tape and doing a little mockup to see how it would look when it's all put together:

5RdwNBT.jpg

AdpIfQX.jpg

gzJKuez.jpg

5eHf80C.jpg

5eOvM0u.jpg

g898uDe.jpg

x5Rqabr.jpg

iiIFDOj.jpg

uFSomTI.jpg

and it looks like the scale is pretty perfect :D

WRhm9Zh.jpg

Thanks for reading, and here's a sneak peak of what's coming next:

VrRnvTI.jpg

Re: Dead Space "Black Marker" + various scratch-built ancillary props NEW PICS PAGE 2

That's amazing work. and I think you captured the flavor well. when all the pieces are done. How much room is this scene going to take up?

Re: Dead Space "Black Marker" + various scratch-built ancillary props NEW PICS PAGE 2

hmm, i'm estimating a 2 foot by 2 foot base, all things considered. the marker itself is pretty tall, too.... :D

Looks huge indeed! I think you're doing really well in getting the feel of the Dead Space universe. I can't wait to see you get crackin' on the actual marker :p

The start of the marker's in the first post, pg 01

Looks huge indeed! I think you're doing really well in getting the feel of the Dead Space universe. I can't wait to see you get crackin' on the actual marker :p

Oh I know, but since then he's been keeping us at bay with excellent lamps and walkways :p

haha, well, there's ups and downs for me in terms of fun...

figuring out how to do something/brainstorming it - 10/10 enjoyment

starting to put it together and seeing it work out just as you want it to - 12/10 enjoyment

realizing that you have to do the same thing over and over and over again for the next dozen hours - 3/10 enjoyment

seeing something complete, getting to weather it and fit it into a scene - 10/10 enjoyment

guess which stage the marker is at right now? :p

Are you using SINTRA PVC ?? i want to know what is your material !!!

haha, well, there's ups and downs for me in terms of fun...

figuring out how to do something/brainstorming it - 10/10 enjoyment

starting to put it together and seeing it work out just as you want it to - 12/10 enjoyment

realizing that you have to do the same thing over and over and over again for the next dozen hours - 3/10 enjoyment

seeing something complete, getting to weather it and fit it into a scene - 10/10 enjoyment

guess which stage the marker is at right now? :p

3/10 ?

Are you using SINTRA PVC ?? i want to know what is your material !!!

i'm just using standard styrene sheets and strips bought at my local hobby store.

it's this brand: Evergreen Scale Models
sean: you nailed it! :lol

anyway, tomorrow i'm going to get more styrene so i can finish things up with the walkway and such. in the meantime, i'm brainstorming how i'm going to cool certain parts of the power system....

i'm running a 12 volt AC adapter that's unregulated (meaning if you're not drawing the exact current marked on it, you'll get a different voltage) to a car DC to DC (12 volt to 4.5 volt) car adapter that IS regulated (constant voltage output regardless of current draw). it's working pretty well at running all the lights i need, and i've got everything fused up properly. The only issue is that the car adapter gets pretty warm after a while, and since the whole thing is going to ideally be installed in the underside of the carved foam base, i need to make sure the car adapter isn't in a position where it can't vent the heat it creates. foam is a very good insulator. :p

so i'm thinking i'll make a scale generator/power supply out of styrene, add a lot of vents and holes in it, and just stick the car adapter circuitry in there. maybe add a few more LEDs, who knows....

Last edited by a moderator:

so today i went and bought more styrene, and picked up some acrylic paint for weathering/detailing. i found a bottle of dark grey stuff that looked pretty good, so i did a bit of a test paint on one of the walkway grates, and it didn't look so hot.

first off, it wasn't dark grey, it was grey-green. second, trying to get the damn stuff to stick was an ordeal. i don't have an airbrush, and on my budget i'm not likely to get one soon, so i had to improvise by putting some paint and water in a small pump spray bottle. it did the job, but poorly. :facepalm

so now i'm thinking i'll have to track down some light grey enamel spray paint, use that as a base coat, and keep the acrylics for washes and weathering. trial and error....

If light gray is what you're looking for, gray primer ought to do the trick, and you can find it at any auto parts store, or Wal-mart.

-MJ

Shouldn't be hard to find at all. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back