Böker grips color

This site is what I have been using for my reference. They seem pretty complete.

Dredd - Duty Belt

Quote ----
[h=3]Boker Knife[/h]Boker Plus - Armed Forces Folder II. (Tanto blade)
Dark O.D. Green
Store Bought item!!!! Make sure you buy the "TANTO" blade, not the "Spear Point" blade.
In promo photos and close ups in the movie, it looks like the knife is painted a light Olive Drab Green, but it is not, it is a dark OD green, and the bright lights make the color look lighter than it really is.

Here is where I am starting. Got the Boker (mostly) apart. One of the screws seems to be stripped and doesn't want to come out, but everything else came apart pretty easily. Washed up the scale that did come off and will have to tape off the other.

I am going to try using Humbrol #66 - Matt Olive Drab. We'll see how it goes.

Ultimately, I am sending the blade off to a friend to have it cast in rubber as I want to replace it with the rubber blade when at a con, but when not, I want to maintain the real blade.

boker-disassembed.jpg

Here is my first Boker, painted with the Humbrol #66 vs an unpainted Boker in the background. Pretty happy with the color. The only thing I am still trying to determine are the details. I have only seen two stunt knives up close. On both, the screws were also painted. I don't know if there truly were any hero Boker's (other than Anderson's that we see lying on the table), but I'd like to know if I should be painted the screws here or not. I feel like it looks better without the screws painted... but we will see.

boker-paint-01.jpg boker-paint-02.jpg

For reference, here is an original stunt knife as seen at San Diego Comic Con 2013. Every knife I have seen so far matches this... all have the hardware painted green.

boker-stunt-original-dredd-costume.jpg

Art,
There is no official color for the knife, other than the fact that it was a dark olive drab. The Studio Creations website gets it exactly right. It is darker than it looks in pictures, so get the darkest OD you can (and one that has more of a grey base than the yellow base that some ODs have).

There are very few OFFICIAL colors for the props in this movie. One of the things that makes color matching more difficult is that the costumes and associated props were made in both the UK and South Africa (well, not the belt items, aside from the buckles, they were made in South Africa only). For the UK items, we have a bit more consistency (we know Goldfinger was used for the shoulders and we have a production paint chip for the helmet red that matches MOST of the helmets). Once things got to South Africa, it gets a little murky. Apparently there were times when they just grabbed any old can of paint off their shelf that looked decent (this was a low budget movie, after all).

There are some items on the suit that we have matched by eye to pantone color swatches (in person, in natural light), so that might be as good as it gets for those. We did not match a pantone for the knife however (we had limited time), so dark grey-based OD is the best advice we can give.

Back to the red on the UK helmets - it was custom-mixed. I have a paint chip provided by production and I was able to get a paint specialty place to match it pretty perfectly. They are available for sale, but they only come in a box of four cans. But it's a high quality spray paint and just one can could probably do several helmets. If people wanted to share a box with some friends, it would make it more affordable. Because it ain't cheap - $153 for a box of four cans shipped within the US (not available for overseas shipping).
If there is interest in it, people could PM me. Or I guess I could start a thread in the junkyard about it. It ships direct from the factory, but people have to buy it through me at the moment.

I'm working on possibly getting an exact match for the knee, elbow, and toe color via a production paint chip as well, but that's in the early stages (would be cheaper though since that's a simple liquid paint and not an aerosol can).

- - - Updated - - -

PS most of the knives I've seen look darker OD in person than that pic you just posted above from the stunt uni. But that color is not far off and would probably be good enough.

PPS I just went back a page and saw the knife you painted. That looks pretty close. And in answer to your question about painted screws, all of the knives I've seen have had painted screws (including the large screw at the base of the blade). I suspect there was only one real knife on set, and it was the one used for that closeup. It's too hard to tell how that one was painted though.

Last edited:
Here are a couple more reference photos of one of the movie knives (not that one that was at SDCC).
You'll see it here under two lighting conditions. Same knife. This gives a good example of why it can be really hard to match color, even when you have the original prop in front of you.
The first photo was taken in a room under a mix of artificial and sunlight. The second picture was taken minutes later, in the same room, closer to the window, (more sunlight), but with a different camera and exposure (the second was also taken against some blue painters tape to help judge color.)

DSCF1802_2.jpgIMG_3263.jpg

PS most of the knives I've seen look darker OD in person than that pic you just posted above from the stunt uni. But that color is not far off and would probably be good enough.

Yeah, that photo is going to make it look a little unnaturally bright because of the flash, but then my photos are under flash as well and look a bit lighter in the photos than they do in person.

...I'd like to know if I should be painted the screws here or not. I feel like it looks better without the screws painted...
I'd bet all the knives had painted screws (easier), but I think that makes it look sloppy & not how a product would come from the manufacturer.

Ergo, my screws will stay black, the way yours are in the photo. An idealized version, I suppose.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back