Marty McFly Class 5 Vest (wrong color)

TheHerminator

Greetings!

So during quarantine I’ve been busy slowly attempting to assemble a Marty McFly cosplay. I’m pretty new to all of this, including the forums, but I’ve been taking my time trying to do some research on things before I make decisions.

Anyways, I searched on various platforms to look for an accurate puffer vest, and whilst doing that I stumbled upon a Class 5 vest on Depop just like Marty wears in the movie for ONLY $30!...only problem is, it’s the wrong color :(

However I went ahead and bought it anyways. I figured for that low of a price, trying to experiment with it to get it to the right color wouldn’t be a bad investment. So I’m thinking right now about potentially using some Rit dye remover to hopefully get it to an off white color and then dying it with Rit synthetic dye to give it that rust orange color like in the movie. I’m not certain Rit dye remover will work on the material of the vest though. Does anyone with any kind of fabric experience in these matters have any other suggestions about how to go about this? Thanks!
13D5A484-B60C-47D5-99B3-121AA2513800.jpeg

Being a nylon fabric, I doubt the dye remover is going to do a whole lot. Stripping colour out of synthetics is seriously tough. Its worth a shot for $30, but don't expect stellar results I guess.

Being a nylon fabric, I doubt the dye remover is going to do a whole lot. Stripping colour out of synthetics is seriously tough. Its worth a shot for $30, but don't expect stellar results I guess.

Yeah, I’m not sure if there is a better way to attempt swapping the colors. Would you go about this with a different approach? (if there’s something you could think of that would possibly be more effective)

Hey! Did you ever try to do it?
I’ve been so busy with school and applying to colleges lately. All of the stuff I need (dye remover and synthetic dye) is in my closet, but I have not attempted to go through with it yet. I plan to do that soon though! I may end up overdying the vest if the color remover has no effect.

I’ve been so busy with school and applying to colleges lately. All of the stuff I need (dye remover and synthetic dye) is in my closet, but I have not attempted to go through with it yet. I plan to do that soon though! I may end up overdying the vest if the color remover has no effect.
How about now??? Really interested to see how this would turn out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back