Yoda Lightsaber Build

corliss1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Everyone!

This is actually one of my first posts to the forum. I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time and I did a pretty standard Graflex Luke ANH build, but I really wanted to do the Yoda saber. I mean...it's Yoda.

I came across an eBay auction for two similar camera flashes - a Praco and a Service. Between the two, I had the parts I needed.

The Service-brand flash had the emitter shroud chrome thingy at the top so I took that off and put it on the Praco. I also took off the little transistor-looking thing (these are my *highly* technical terms!) and put that on the Praco. I used the grip from the Praco to be the mid-section piece and then cut the grip from the Service to be the grip pieces on the Praco.

Got my Lamborghini wheel and PEM nut on the top - here are some pictures of the progression

100_1773.JPG
100_1774.JPG
100_1775.JPG
100_1776.JPG
100_1777.JPG
100_1778.JPG
100_1779.JPG
100_1780.JPG
100_1781.JPG
100_1782.JPG
100_1866.JPG
100_1868.JPG
100_1870.JPG

So...about the control box. On my kitchen counter is the fabled 1/12 scale Monogram 1967 Corvette. The problem is, it doesn't have an oil pan. Well, it does, it's just the motor/transmission is one piece split right down the middle, so it's not a detachable part. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

CUT IT!!! :lol That is really cool, BTW... quick question- How are all the parts pre-determined, when it was CGI, to begin with? (innocent question... I am unfamiliar with light-saber building).

If I'm not mistaken a practical Yoda lightsaber hilt was made for the episode 1 Visual Dictionary. That design was then used for the digital props for episode 2 and 3

CUT IT!!! :lol That is really cool, BTW... quick question- How are all the parts pre-determined, when it was CGI, to begin with? (innocent question... I am unfamiliar with light-saber building).

If you search on here you'll find threads with the original lightsaber builder that built it as a joke, it attracted the attention of "real" star wars people, got added to the visual dictionary, got slightly modified for the movie.

Anyone have thoughts about the activation box?

When I said cut it, the activation box is what I was referring to. I would just cut away the bits you don't need from that model part. I see it done all the time with models, even the SS MF.

Hi there,

Well you may consider yourself very lucky indeed with that nice Praco ...
it's very rare to find it on ebay ... I 've been looking for it for a long time
and only found 2 Praco's sofar . . . which even were the wrong kind.:cry

Nice work though ... can you add a picture of that oilpan you have there?

-Chaim

CHAIM!!!!

I've been a lurker for a long time on forums trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing, and I see your name just about anywhere there is important information, so it's cool to see you in here.

From the famous post where all the parts are listed, he says the following:

"-Oil sump pan from a 1/12 scale Monogram 1967 Corvette (nobody seems to get this right...they are always too skinny)"

Here are the pictures I have of that model:

fGrumCk.jpg

K588pti.jpg

tDSFJun.jpg

As you can see, the motor/oil pan assembly is split right down the middle. I think it's just extremely unlikely that the original builder assembled, dremeled out, sanded the base, then sanded the seam so you couldn't see it, and painted this piece. Just seems too far fetched to me.

The only other kit that matches the description is a 3-in-1 kit where you can make three different styles of the same Corvette. I haven't seen the parts inside that one to know if there would be a difference, but it doesn't seem likely since it's the same scale size, box photo/cover art, etc...

So that's what I know!

Good point. One of the original prop guys posted on my yoda thread and messaged me quite a bit. This saber was originally built as a joke. All the parts were just sitting in a bin and they glued/attached things randomly. It was only later for the VD that the movie wanted them to bring something to the table, and al of a sudden their joke turned into a real prop

Exactly - here's a post with the larger article I was referencing:

YODA LIGHTSABER | Jedi Council Forums

To add to the confusion, I found this thread about the Corvette...

Monogram Corvette - ARC Discussion Forums

Which seems to indicate there is a version with a separate oil pan part...which is likely what I (we) need to finish this off. I guess we know what kit it *isn't* and that counts for something...

- - - Updated - - -

This auction listing is perfect!!! It shows the other model Corvette, the 3-in-1, completely assembled, and shows the wrong oil pan (at least from what I can see)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monogram-1967-Corvette-1-12-Scale-Built-Model-Kit-2801-/171056037485?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item27d3bbfe6d

- - - Updated - - -

If you compare that oil pan to Ed's original photo below, it's not even close:

6.jpg

indeed that's about the same oilpan I have on my real vintage Bolsey 2 flash ... although I have no idea weather it's the genuine part or a cast resin replica. :unsure

-Chaim

It came with the lightsaber which was already completed ... I believe it was FunkyJedi who sold it to me ... however I'm not certain he created it himself though :unsure

I have considered to make a casting of it and then make recasts ... but it's against my personal code of conduct to recast ... best to resculpt it yourselfs ... I'd say ;)

-Chaim

I've never tried sculpting anything - the only material I'd even know how to work with (sorta...) would be wood, and I don't know how well that would turn out...

Maybe I should scrounge for an oil pan online and see what's out there?

well after a nice coat of paint ... I'd say ... you'd be able to recreate that in wood for certain ... if I can find more pics of the prop ... I'll show the oilpan from different angles for ya.

Chaim

I saved all the pictures of the original so I've got the angles I should need. If I don't come up with a "real" part I'll try and come up with something!

Alrighty - so I'm updating this zombie thread because:

1 - I can :D
2 - I have new photos
3 - more research

I was able to get an accurate oil pan (made from an original casting) and accurate rubber grips through another member here, so the saber is now as complete as it's ever going to get with the current information we have. Here are some pictures (click to expand)

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

However, from my research (which may be completely wrong................that's why it's research and not facts *yet*) I am only seeing two Monogram 1/12 scale Corvette options:

-the one I posted earlier in the thread that I bought as part of this research (Model 2801)
and
-a similar model called the 3 in 1 (Also, confusingly, seems to be Model 2801)

All the engine options for this model are split in half, right down the center, which indicates there is no separate oil pan piece. Here are some pictures showing that with the 3 in 1 option where there are multiple engines, but also see my earlier photos for other references:

screenshot.1.jpg

screenshot.2.jpg

We also see this specific model references in SethS amazing Lightsaber guide, that's been a sticky at the top of the forum for a while now, and that information came straight from the makers of the prop. However, I can't seem to find any evidence that the part exists. We know that sometimes builders do make mistakes when they talk about how props were originally assembled (Roger Christian, anyone) so is it possible they were just remembering the wrong part or model kit? Unless there is a Monogram 1/12 scale Corvette kit that I can't seem to find, I think we need to consider that as a possibility.

Feel free to discuss :D

Alrighty - so I'm updating this zombie thread because:

1 - I can :D
2 - I have new photos
3 - more research

I was able to get an accurate oil pan (made from an original casting) and accurate rubber grips through another member here, so the saber is now as complete as it's ever going to get with the current information we have. Here are some pictures (click to expand)

View attachment 1056725

View attachment 1056726

View attachment 1056727

View attachment 1056728

However, from my research (which may be completely wrong................that's why it's research and not facts *yet*) I am only seeing two Monogram 1/12 scale Corvette options:

-the one I posted earlier in the thread that I bought as part of this research (Model 2801)
and
-a similar model called the 3 in 1 (Also, confusingly, seems to be Model 2801)

All the engine options for this model are split in half, right down the center, which indicates there is no separate oil pan piece. Here are some pictures showing that with the 3 in 1 option where there are multiple engines, but also see my earlier photos for other references:

View attachment 1056738

View attachment 1056739

We also see this specific model references in SethS amazing Lightsaber guide, that's been a sticky at the top of the forum for a while now, and that information came straight from the makers of the prop. However, I can't seem to find any evidence that the part exists. We know that sometimes builders do make mistakes when they talk about how props were originally assembled (Roger Christian, anyone) so is it possible they were just remembering the wrong part or model kit? Unless there is a Monogram 1/12 scale Corvette kit that I can't seem to find, I think we need to consider that as a possibility.

Feel free to discuss :D

Came out awesome!! Wicked job!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back