Yoda lightsaber Oil Pan

jle2199

I'm in need of some good images of the oil pan used for Yoda's Lightsaber in The Visual Dictionary to finalize a project with a Bolsey flash, does anyone happen to have any?

If you have one for sale, that would be super awesome, as well.

Bolsey2-Yoda-01_zpsc4d674e8.JPG

Yoda6_zps9e7472de.JPG

yodasab2-a_zpsf65f3a62.JPG

You could always contact member sjanish ... I believe he did a run of grips, oilpan and emitter ... back in the day ;)

Chaïm

Yes, that was a great run!

There was a time when Ed, the original maker, was on here and he supplied us with great tips, stories and photos of the real thing.

since we haven't IDed the real oil pan, and it looks like ed did some casting and shaping when he made the parts, my first bet would be that run.... seeing if sjanish still has molds or parts.

If not, I actually want to say this would be very do-able from scratch. I just made a control box for the energizer saber from scratch and it actually worked. As someone who never developed those model-making skills... I'm encouraging it

You could either built it up with solid wood/acetal/metal, some milliput and some sanding and shaping. Or, build the main structure from styrene, fill the inside with resin and use milliput or something to shape the rest. You could even go a step further and mold your scratch built part so the finished one is one solid piece.

I made the original structure by cutting styrene and using the little jar of "plastic weld" to make the frame and then sticking it in some clay to fill the inside with resin. Then I cast the whole damn thing after putty/sanding and a smear of super glue to make an acrylic coating

Attachments

• IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 81
Yes, that was a great run!

There was a time when Ed, the original maker, was on here and he supplied us with great tips, stories and photos of the real thing.

since we haven't IDed the real oil pan, and it looks like ed did some casting and shaping when he made the parts, my first bet would be that run.... seeing if sjanish still has molds or parts.

If not, I actually want to say this would be very do-able from scratch. I just made a control box for the energizer saber from scratch and it actually worked. As someone who never developed those model-making skills... I'm encouraging it

You could either built it up with solid wood/acetal/metal, some milliput and some sanding and shaping. Or, build the main structure from styrene, fill the inside with resin and use milliput or something to shape the rest. You could even go a step further and mold your scratch built part so the finished one is one solid piece.

I made the original structure by cutting styrene and using the little jar of "plastic weld" to make the frame and then sticking it in some clay to fill the inside with

Thanks, guys!

I drew one in Fusion360 a year ago and was going to see if there was interest in resin prints, but my ADHD got to me and I never finalized the drawings, because I was never happy with my oil pan. I was looking at the Disney offering after a Star Wars marathon watch through (that interestingly finished Book of Boba Fett just as Mando Season 3 became available) and realized that Yoda's film used lightsaber is based on a Bolsey and not a Praco due to the side nipple placement on the metal tube itself and decided to get back to it, and well, ADHD, so, hey, anxiety that it wasn't "right" because I wasn't using a Praco went away and interest in the project rekindled, as it happens.

I digress..

ANYroad
Here's what I had, the main body was copied from the Bolsey piece that I have somewhere (I actually just picked it up recently and looked at it, but I have no idea where it went now) and I have since changed the drip pan bump.

The nipple looks too "tall" and my drip area is way too angled and wide at one end. I think the bottom of the drip pan is wrong, too.

1678562218320.png

1678562272517.png

1678562323688.png

I'm willing to share my .stl files with people here if there's any interest when I'm done, but we'd need an agreement regarding not selling prints or trading the files without my consent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back