Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

^^^ Thanks dudes!

Tonight's the night! I worked on the suit right up until 5am this morning. Last bit of painting and fitting happening now.

Here's the waist setup finished.
l8tNbfV.jpg

lwzEHGW.jpg

Very rushed job on the arms to get them done. They are painted now and baking outside in the sun.

rsHiPxZ.jpg

T4ywrZM.jpg

diSjFaq.jpg

hkOnQwo.jpg

While that was happening, I fitted straps and clips to the inside of the shoulder bell and bolted the plastic receiver to the inside of the shoulder.

NgCM7uq.jpg

RYoArbO.jpg

LP26i4G.jpg

ozTW29F.jpg

That's the top half complete enough to wear tonight. That's if I don't collapse from exhaustion first....

Here's some failure feedback for those attempting similar. I've just got my brother to come around ten minutes ago to help me put it all on and see what mobility I have and make any adjustments. Might have a few holes to drill and bolts to install. I can't move my arms much because the shoulder bells jam on the chest piece.

The suit is not anatomically correct in the Pepakura files, so even though my height and width measurements were entered in the scaling software, the proportions just don't work.

It's wearable with limited movement, but after the initial fuss at the party dies down, I'll take the arms off to relax.

Like the first observatory, the second will be a huge improvement. There are so many things I would do different, but you have to try it all out to find out how.

I'll still finish the rest of the suit. It still makes a great statue in the observatory.

aIIGKGD.jpg

7fpKUnd.jpg

7IxyqDL.jpg

First night out in the suit (top half) a raging success. Hanging out with Mr Riddick and the Green Lantern, among many others. Lots of good clean fun.

A few things I learned that are very useful:

1. The suit, while difficult to move my arms, was very comfortable and kept me quite cozy in the cool night air.
2. Visibility in the helmet was difficult in the dark so they will need work. Helmet was very comfortable and having a hinged faceplate was fantastic.
3. The upper body is too bulky so the next one will have to be tailored in under the arms to allow arm movement.
4. Need to find a better way to attach the arms to the chest-piece.
5. Very happy with the waist setup. Easy on , easy off and flexible. Still, I want to rebuild it in aluminium and have it bolt together for cosplay.
6. Will re-do the neck piece in RED eva foam, instead of trying to paint blue EVA with red vinyl spray. It still cracks and flakes.

Aluminium suit.... here I come.

9n0sAEs.jpg

This is looking awesome. Gives me incentive to keep moving ahead on mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Finally made a start on my new METAL Iron Man suit. Found an old aluminium sign about 2mm thick. Tracing up templates now.

The plan is to fit card templates over what I have built so far, then flatten them out and trace them onto sheet metal. Cut slots into key points in the sheet to facilitate the most curve, weld them shut, then use an egg-mallet and other shaping tools and hammers to fashion the shape better.

1gXqsKX.jpg

Getting ready to transfer templates to the next gen of Bazza's Iron Man build onto metal plate armour.

mSeASJJ.jpg

Ready to start cutting and shaping. Insert mad scientist manic laughter here...

s3RPVIj.jpg

Next cardboard template to be traced onto sheet metal. Anyone in Canberra got a TIG welder?

uPh9QmI.jpg

1. Metal cut out and ready to beat to death with a peening hammer. This will be fun. I've done all kinds of metalwork before, but this is new to me. Let's see how we go.

0KVjZBO.jpg

2. A few minutes with the peening hammer on a wooden block.

GLwgGoO.jpg

3. 1/2 an hour of metalshaping and it's looking promising. Certainly a lot quicker than the pepakura/bondo/fibreglass method.

0fLIS97.jpg

Looks OK. In hindsight, I would not cut the slots to help shape the crown. Aluminium is malleable enough to form a bowl on it's own. The hazards of learning for yourself.

1NSu7pD.jpg

Printer software installed - about to print off all new templates to transfer onto sheetmetal and get ready to build MkII of my MK IV Iron Man suit. Now all I need is time!

Nice work on the first mk iv attempt mate. Metal builds are few and far between so fair dues for attempting one. Looking forward to seeing how it differs from foam and pep builds. Good luck!

New templates cut out for the Iron Man boot and abs. Transferring onto cardboard then once I've trimmed and adjusted it all, then transfer onto sheetmetal and start shaping.

6jq0h5C.jpg

Trialling a right boot in foam first.

Boot #1 completed in foam. Identified trouble spots and room for tweaking. Next to make one from card, improve design and articulation before final construction in aluminium.

zIk0fCA.jpg

qzoyvi0.jpg

Second boot done in card. All good so far. Just going to study articulation on the ball of the foot, then start the aluminium boot.

83Vb8h3.jpg

Got the boot articulated and ready for aluminium sheet now.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've had a bit of time at night to get a fair bit done with all this rain.

Funny thing is, I've printed all this off at the default scale for a 6-foot tall male, even though I'm 6'2". All this gym work I've been hard at for the last few months seems to be paying off as the suit is smaller than my last but I seem to fit into it perfectly - especially my midriff which has trimmed down a lot from my middle-aged spread.

Building in cardboard is a brilliant precursor to sheet metal, as it's shaping properties are similar, being semi-rigid and prone to buckling if you do it wrong.

dBhFGEZ.jpg

y3hfqn8.jpg

Today I've been working on the thigh. Perfect fit. Obviously it's cardboard so distortion will always happen when you put it on and move around, but once it's done in aluminium it won't be difficult to get each part aligned permanently.

McB0bld.jpg

oW98E0q.jpg

So... I've now got a bit of a hybrid prototype happening here. Fibreglass and filled upper, one leg paper hardened with firbreglass, but no filler, some foam for the neck and ribs, paper cod with no fibreglass, one foam boot and a complete leg and boot in cardboard. Looks like the cardboard is a winner for speed, budget and great templates for transferring to an entire aluminium suit.

n4K2AMR.jpg

P96ehy7.jpg

Great work!! I'm in the stage of lining up all parts and figuring how to mount everything. Very helpful this is. I have a question. It looks like you bolted the shoulder piece to the bicep. Is that what I see? I was wondering if you could post pics a little more in depth with how the bicep and forearm will keep from sliding down.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back