Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

I had a day off work today, so I spent most of it in the workshop. All the parts for the helmet cut out and beaten into shape, ready to tack together and weld.

GEI287K.jpg

I love seeing the metal builds... maybe you should look into buying an English Wheel to help with shaping?

I love seeing the metal builds... maybe you should look into buying an English Wheel to help with shaping?

I'm really not in a financial position to do that. However I do have lots of hammers and other hand-shaping tools. It's actually a good testament to what can be done without too much professional equipment. I hope. :D

- - - Updated - - -

A few bits and pieces cut, shaped and ready to weld.

Handplate.

yBMJmWX.jpg

Knuckles.

JMLdjI0.jpg

laRzSiK.jpg

Fingers.

kQ9oLZJ.jpg

YexBKxg.jpg

I would like to learn how to weld to try this myself. The only way to make a 1:1 real suit would be with metal. At least to make one close to what it should be anyway. Just to see if it could even be done. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Sizing and aligning the steel parts.

http://i.imgur.com/tBtUr0s.jpg

You're making some pretty good progress it looks like! It's nice to see a fellow iron-worker's build. I'm very impressed with how fast you're picking up on some things, but I did notice one MAJOR step you're leaving out with the helmet regarding the overall shape as it progresses.....

Even after a small BAGGER-OID attack on my own thread, I appreciate the work you're doing and enjoy your enthusiasm. As a small helpful hint from iron man to iron man...

I highly recommend you start supporting and bracing the helmet from the inside, and build it as one piece and THEN cut it apart. Please, please look at the steps i took on my own build. The steel Will Warp horrifically if you don't take proper steps to ensure that it stays as square and symmetrical as possible. You can thank me later....but until then, you're welcome [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're making some pretty good progress it looks like! It's nice to see a fellow iron-worker's build. I'm very impressed with how fast you're picking up on some things, but I did notice one MAJOR step you're leaving out with the helmet regarding the overall shape as it progresses.....

Even after a small BAGGER-OID attack on my own thread, I appreciate the work you're doing and enjoy your enthusiasm. As a small helpful hint from iron man to iron man...

I highly recommend you start supporting and bracing the helmet from the inside, and build it as one piece and THEN cut it apart. Please, please look at the steps i took on my own build. The steel Will Warp horrifically if you don't take proper steps to ensure that it stays as square and symmetrical as possible. You can thank me later....but until then, you're welcome [emoji6]

Thanks mate. Yep, I've looked into your build and love the bracing you have tacked in there. Pretty easily done and once I tack all the parts together, I'll tack in some bar-stock before I weld up all the seams.

Bless ya mate. Good advice.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to learn how to weld to try this myself. The only way to make a 1:1 real suit would be with metal. At least to make one close to what it should be anyway. Just to see if it could even be done. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Thanks mate. Glad you come along for the ride!

SB

Hey bud what suit are you building again? I'm in need of some pep files unfortunately

Hey bud what suit are you building again? I'm in need of some pep files unfortunately

JFCustom's modified ROBO3687 MKIV files. Sharkhead09's helmet I think...

What's going on with your build and thread. You've been inactive for a while. Is everything OK?

SB.

Yeah I've been caught up with work and a few other issues at hand, which is why I haven't had much progress to show In a while. Been dealing with a few business issues involving a falling out between my help and I which resulted in all the work falling on my shoulders and not being able to keep
Up. So I'm in the process of going a new direction with business to see what happens. But like they say, failure is the fog through which we see success.

No worries tho, I plan to soon start making a lot of progress on my different projects I've started and want to even try doing some business with prop building here in the coming months. I appreciate the concern and look forward to seeing more progress on your build, as well as my own!

Yeah I've been caught up with work and a few other issues at hand, which is why I haven't had much progress to show In a while. Been dealing with a few business issues involving a falling out between my help and I which resulted in all the work falling on my shoulders and not being able to keep
Up. So I'm in the process of going a new direction with business to see what happens. But like they say, failure is the fog through which we see success.

No worries tho, I plan to soon start making a lot of progress on my different projects I've started and want to even try doing some business with prop building here in the coming months. I appreciate the concern and look forward to seeing more progress on your build, as well as my own!

The challenges of life hey? Sounds like you are handling it. Good to see. I hope you have time for fun in there with all that business.

Cheers.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

I got the helmet spot-welded up today.

ysNhgr1.jpg

3BTrflM.jpg

Wow VERY nice work! I'm extremely impressed at how it's coming along, great job! If anything could give me motivation to dust off my build and continue on with it, it's that!

I'm looking forward to more progress! And maybe even some more of my own build here in the very near future!

This build gets more awesome every time I see it. Really hoping to see the whole suit in bare metal before paint, similar to the MKII.

This build gets more awesome every time I see it. Really hoping to see the whole suit in bare metal before paint, similar to the MKII.

That's probably going to be the way of it. First to build it complete, then to hack it up a bit and modify it, add in stuff etc. Then paint it last.

I only got ten minutes to work on this today. Here's a back view showing the seams all welded up, then ground back using an angle grinder and grind-wheel first, followed up with a flap disk.

I1Dr23P.jpg

ejw8Djj.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back