Stargate Universe Destiny Potential 3d printed model

dhd isn't important to me. I'd be cool if you just nixed them but if tom wants one, I'll take one as well but just need one. I've got a screen used kino and remote already so for the destiny gate, the dialer isn't all that important for me at least. Oh, and 12in diameter gate size seems fine. Big enough for detail but small enough to hang on a wall or have on a shelf. Either way they'll be sweet.

Cool seeing some renders. that one render looks pretty sweet. The model in that case was a present to Brad Wright from the prop department. The smaller one built by the prop department was made for Joseph but it was about half the size of the one in the case. I think there were a total of 3 models made by their prop department. Brad Wright, Joseph Molozzi and another guy got an even smaller model. They were all posted on Joseph Mollozi's blog. The smallest one was I think given to one of the other producers. There are pictures of them building the one for Joseph. Really wonder if anyone ever got the rights to build a model but just never got around to it.

Well as Tom's gate is really small and a planetary diorama a dhd will not be needed for the destiny gate. The lantean and tau'ri gate dhds will be the same model with different symbols on the buttons and obviously, the different colour scheme once you've printed it.

:D In that case I wont mind have it "out of scale" and make the gate about 4" or 6" in diameter

Nothing to say that the later gates built by the seed ships after Destiny's launch weren't designed to take the shuttles, seeing as the shuttle is an ancestor of the puddle jumper. Also, so far as we know, the destiny style mk1 gates were present in our galaxy before being replaced by the current ones and as the stargate seeding in our own galaxy took place after Destiny's launch they would have gone through a redesign to take the shuttles before seeding took place. So a larger gate actually makes sense.

If I do it so that the inner diameter just lets the shuttle through then it will look like the redesign I mentioned. Precursor to puddle jumpers and spacegates. Lol. What is the wingspan of the shuttle model? And do you want it as an active or inactive gate (at that size optional snap in event horizon isn't really doable)?

a seed ship model down the road would be super slick. one that could dock with our model I'd really be interested in. For a future project I'd be interested in that as well.

a seed ship model down the road would be super slick. one that could dock with our model I'd really be interested in. For a future project I'd be interested in that as well.

Ironically, it was a suggestion I was going to put forward for after the destiny build and hence why I'm making sure the docking detail on the underside is on the destiny model. Already started a preliminary look into reference materials for it, but just a warning, there are a hell of a lot fewer references for the seed ships than for destiny.

Also, on the gate build, it will be front and back then further subdivided to fit in the 3d printer. I will design the channel inside the gate so that a ring of 3mm (3/32") acrylic plastic can be used to mount the sections on to regain strength in the model and to make sure the shape is correct and not warped between sections. Are you doing it lit?

Nothing to say that the later gates built by the seed ships after Destiny's launch weren't designed to take the shuttles, seeing as the shuttle is an ancestor of the puddle jumper. Also, so far as we know, the destiny style mk1 gates were present in our galaxy before being replaced by the current ones and as the stargate seeding in our own galaxy took place after Destiny's launch they would have gone through a redesign to take the shuttles before seeding took place. So a larger gate actually makes sense.

If I do it so that the inner diameter just lets the shuttle through then it will look like the redesign I mentioned. Precursor to puddle jumpers and spacegates. Lol. What is the wingspan of the shuttle model? And do you want it as an active or inactive gate (at that size optional snap in event horizon isn't really doable)?

The wingspan is about 8 cm

nope, not lit for me. I had a lit enterprise model I did when I was 15 and it was a pain in the arse. If it were a bought model that was lit already I'd be cool with it but electrical work is not my friend so I'll be happy with the regular non lit model. Personally I'm happy with any decent sized destiny model that is accurate. There is some dude on Deviantart that did a decent seed ship model in some sort of 3d software. Might be able to pull some info off of that. his work seemed to be pretty good and accurate.

nope, not lit for me. I had a lit enterprise model I did when I was 15 and it was a pain in the arse. If it were a bought model that was lit already I'd be cool with it but electrical work is not my friend so I'll be happy with the regular non lit model. Personally I'm happy with any decent sized destiny model that is accurate. There is some dude on Deviantart that did a decent seed ship model in some sort of 3d software. Might be able to pull some info off of that. his work seemed to be pretty good and accurate.

Well the unlit works with the assembly method of an acrylic ring with the segments attached over it. Threw a little example together in about 30 mins:

test 1.JPGtest 2.JPGtest 3.JPGtest 4.jpgtest 5.JPG

The last two are just a mess around with a lighting render, took about 5 mins, so put it up anyway. The final detail gates will be assembled like this. Tom, yours will be a single piece as it's small enough to do so on the 3d printer and cheaper on support material.

As for the seed ship, i'll give that model you mentioned a look and see what I can do about replicating it. It won't be until after the destiny is finished though.

Also, I have one confirmed commission for the USS Defiant from DS9, full studio scale and a bit more detailed than the studio model. It will include full shuttle bay with opening doors, little shuttle and separate escape pods with hull covers for the escape pod docking areas. Will also have the internal detailing at the back of the nacelles. Smaller versions can be done if people want to 3d print, but the primary studio scale model has been commissioned for animating and rendering purposes. Will be posting the build up of that in a separate thread. Let me know if anyone wants to buy a copy of the digital files. Will be $150 for the full detail studio model or $60 for the smaller printable versions that will lack the escape pods and shuttle bay.

It's just the models I've got mixed up. Yours and the show one look the same, it's just the glass case model that has the FTL strip looking really weird. It may just be because it's unlit, but it looks drastically different to the show and your build. Might well be the exhaust effect as you said. So it's a toss up between modelling to look like the Malozzi or modelling to emulate the look that the lighting/exhaust gives.

Well, the good news is, sciroccojunky has given his blessing to share the destiny gate files with you and to split the cost so you only pay half each. Just waiting to find out size and which dialling method he wants for that gate. Will also try and figure out a way to have the event horizon as a removable piece so that the stargate can be displayed the way you choose at that particular time. Owing to the shape and rough size of the gates, I can get away with modelling at the minimum printable thickness which will make it easily lightable. The destiny herself will be slightly thicker to aid with the shear size and to keep it strong through the molding process.

The are some differences with the malozzi model and the vfx model on the show, the main one being is that the ftl strip itself is not on the malozzi model, the layout and the components on the back are the same its just that the strip has not been "cut in ". its set back a little bit . and also the "grates" on the back of the malozzi model stick out more than the vfx model, which is almost flush.

damn vfx, checked out your photobucket and you got some skills. Love the bridge modeling you did. That indeed looks like a pile of work went into that. Nice job.

as far as the ftl strip, i'm not sure if it's really anything but just a band of light when the engines are on. When they showed the engine section during the repair in the void, each engine was clearly visible from the back. There are drive modules and during that time one failed. I'm thinking that the ftl strip is created when a jump is initiated. But when it's not, the engines are like the mollozi model. That's what I'm thinking is why there are differences between ftl and non ftl. IMHO.

damn vfx, checked out your photobucket and you got some skills. Love the bridge modeling you did. That indeed looks like a pile of work went into that. Nice job.

as far as the ftl strip, i'm not sure if it's really anything but just a band of light when the engines are on. When they showed the engine section during the repair in the void, each engine was clearly visible from the back. There are drive modules and during that time one failed. I'm thinking that the ftl strip is created when a jump is initiated. But when it's not, the engines are like the mollozi model. That's what I'm thinking is why there are differences between ftl and non ftl. IMHO.

thanks junky, I think ive put more time into the bridge itself than the rest of the destiny,still have to finish the rest of the gak boxes,chairs ,and the corridor ,and the exterior ,which has been difficult to do accurately because of the limited amount of reference .

here are some screenshots of the ftl strip and the ftl drives themselves, you can see the strip when the
the drive blows and see the drive itself when the shuttle is next to it, you can also see (what i think are the drives ) as those rectangles on the drive strip when it is active.

Did you see the quick mock up of the gate assembly i posted at the bottom of page 3?

yup, very inventive way to do it. that way you can light the chevrons and the symbols as well. it's interesting how the use of acrylic and lighting is prevalent in the SG universe. Almost every light in Atlantis was acrylic.

You could also use that same method on pretty much all the different gates. Pretty handy for sure. Nice work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back