Anyone big into listening to soundtracks?

the one i probably listened to the most was good morning Vietnam but the version that has robin Williams radio commentary through it
i think i had his lines memorized at one point. (hey is it too early to be this loud? hey tooooo late)

a close second would be the lost boys

recent ones have been amile

m83 from the oblivion soundtrack.

I've been listening to the score to Jurassic World recently.

Michael Giacchino is truly a musical genius and the best person to do the score besides the great John Williams.

All of his works are truly outstanding in every way.

Now, if only we could get him to stop with the groan-worthy pun titles for the tracks.

Seriously, Michael. I know it's cool and creative to do that, but you're in the big leagues now, on your way to true greatness to stand alongside legends like Horner, Goldsmith, and Kamen. Let your music speak for you, not your clever titles.

I LOVE movie soundtracks, listen to them all the time, coming from a background as classical musician and electronic composer I really appreciate the importance of music in cinema. My favorite composers of film music are Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, Bernard Herrmann, Jack Nitzsche, Louis Bacalov, Vangelis. And a couple hidden gems for the electronically inclined is the sound track to Fight Club by the Dust Brothers, works really well as a full album. Another good full album is the soundtrack to Blade Runner by Vangelis. I love the music in Tarantinos movies and think he has a great ear for choosing obscure singles and turning them into a story, but since he didn't compose them I consider it more of a playlist than an album, but I listen to them often.

I LOVE movie soundtracks, listen to them all the time, coming from a background as classical musician and electronic composer I really appreciate the importance of music in cinema. My favorite composers of film music are Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, Bernard Herrmann, Jack Nitzsche, Louis Bacalov, Vangelis. And a couple hidden gems for the electronically inclined is the sound track to Fight Club by the Dust Brothers, works really well as a full album. Another good full album is the soundtrack to Blade Runner by Vangelis. I love the music in Tarantinos movies and think he has a great ear for choosing obscure singles and turning them into a story, but since he didn't compose them I consider it more of a playlist than an album, but I listen to them often.

The 'playlist' is the soundtrack. The orchestral/electronic/non-worded original music is called the score.

The 'playlist' is the soundtrack. The orchestral/electronic/non-worded original music is called the score.
You're right, I was just writing it how I have it organized on my iPod. My mistake. Also i'm just more used to 'The Score' meaning the actual sheet music as opposed to the recorded music.

So I was listening to the Lost Boys soundtrack again while working in the garage, and I realized that I could ask this here and someone may actually know: Is there, anywhere -- even a bootleg, either version of "Cry Little Sister" that actually was in the film, instead of the abbreviated, sterilized version on the soundtrack album?

--Jonah

Bumping in hopes someone can actually answer my question from just above. Because, seriously, this has been bugging me for literally decades.

Compare this:

(which I do love, don't get me wrong)

with Michael's transformation/initiation (time index 2:56):

Some vague similarities. But what I really want is the first minute of this (make sure you turn it up so you can hear the bit under the WB logo):

Different tempo, different key... That is what I was hoping G Tom Mac would be using for the full song on the soundtrack album...

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Been listening to the Fantastic 4 score A LOT. It's not bad at all. Especially the first 5 or so tracks. Has a decent theme to it.
The credits show Marco Beltrami and co-composer Philip Glass.
Wondering, does anyone know if each composer did specific tracks or if the entire thing was a collaborative effort.

I'll have to check out The Martian... didn't think to look that one up. Usually I grab a score long before I see the film these days.

Last edited:
Bumping in hopes someone can actually answer my question from just above. Because, seriously, this has been bugging me for literally decades.

Compare this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMLMV6E4CM

(which I do love, don't get me wrong)

with Michael's transformation/initiation (time index 2:56):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdsZnj4-9YM

Some vague similarities. But what I really want is the first minute of this (make sure you turn it up so you can hear the bit under the WB logo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l9ezm2tEp8

Different tempo, different key... That is what I was hoping G Tom Mac would be using for the full song on the soundtrack album...

--Jonah

hmmm, i have tried to find it but no joy, i do actually prefer the opening credit version, perhaps it was only done for that opening scene and unreleased?

i will keep looking though.....

This release is going to be a wonderful sit through! For the longest time I thought that the score for the original Terminator movie was one of those unreleasable soundtracks because 'the tools we used would sound terrible on a stand alone release' or 'we lost all the tapes' kind of situation. But apparently that's not the case at all! On April 8th, Milan Records will release the remastered and resequenced score in not one, not two, but THREE formats! Vinyl, CD and Digital (The press release only listed the Vinyl which caused a lot of movie score fans to go into a panic)!

term_zps4u3ddxuh.jpg

term2_zpsx2yzy3zx.jpg

"I am very happy that I had the opportunity to be involved in this release of The Terminator score. It's exciting to finally put out a version of the soundtrack that is in sync with my original vision of how the score should sound.”
- Brad Fiedel

"Brad Fiedel spent a lot of time working on this presentation. He went back to the original material to rebuild an album he feels would be a strong listening experience."
- JC

Track listing:
  1. Main Title
  2. Terminator Arrival / Reese Chased / Sarah on Motorbike
  3. Terminator Gets Guns / Search for Sarah
  4. Reese Dreams of Future War
  5. Sarah Watches News / Enters Tech Noir
  6. Matt & Ginger Killed / Sarah Calls Detectives
  7. Reese & Sarah in Garage
  8. Arm & Eye Surgery
  9. “I’ll Be Back” / Police Station & Escape
  10. Future Flashback
  11. “$@*$ You A$@(!ole”*
  12. Love Scene
  13. Tunnel Chase
  14. Death By Fire / Terminator Gets Up
  15. Factory Chase
  16. End Credits: Final Suite
  17. The Terminator Theme (Extended Version)
*This track name is not censored in the official release. :D

I'm understandably curious why it has taken so long for this score to see such a fitting release.I mean, it's THE TERMINATOR! Yes, the score was done in a studio garage and it sounds very 80s, but come on!

This release is going to be a wonderful sit through! For the longest time I thought that the score for the original Terminator movie was one of those unreleasable soundtracks because 'the tools we used would sound terrible on a stand alone release' or 'we lost all the tapes' kind of situation. But apparently that's not the case at all! On April 8th, Milan Records will release the remastered and resequenced score in not one, not two, but THREE formats! Vinyl, CD and Digital (The press release only listed the Vinyl which caused a lot of movie score fans to go into a panic)!
"I am very happy that I had the opportunity to be involved in this release of The Terminator score. It's exciting to finally put out a version of the soundtrack that is in sync with my original vision of how the score should sound.”
- Brad Fiedel

"Brad Fiedel spent a lot of time working on this presentation. He went back to the original material to rebuild an album he feels would be a strong listening experience."
- JC

Track listing:
  1. Main Title
  2. Terminator Arrival / Reese Chased / Sarah on Motorbike
  3. Terminator Gets Guns / Search for Sarah
  4. Reese Dreams of Future War
  5. Sarah Watches News / Enters Tech Noir
  6. Matt & Ginger Killed / Sarah Calls Detectives
  7. Reese & Sarah in Garage
  8. Arm & Eye Surgery
  9. “I’ll Be Back” / Police Station & Escape
  10. Future Flashback
  11. “$@*$ You A$@(!ole”*
  12. Love Scene
  13. Tunnel Chase
  14. Death By Fire / Terminator Gets Up
  15. Factory Chase
  16. End Credits: Final Suite
  17. The Terminator Theme (Extended Version)
*This track name is not censored in the official release. :D

I'm understandably curious why it has taken so long for this score to see such a fitting release.I mean, it's THE TERMINATOR! Yes, the score was done in a studio garage and it sounds very 80s, but come on!

Ordered!!

Brad's full Terminator score was released on CD back in 2009 - The Terminator: The Definitive Edition.

This is just the same thing on vinyl - same track names and sequence.
[/h]

Brad's full Terminator score was released on CD back in 2009 - The Terminator: The Definitive Edition.

This is just the same thing on vinyl - same track names and sequence.
[/h]

The Definitive Edition was not a state side release (It was produced in Germany) and it was actually released in 1994, not 2009. Given how much music technology has changed in the past 22 years and that they're rebuilding the album from the ground up with Brad Fiedel taking part in the process, I think we're going to get a different listening experience than what the Definitive Edition offered. And you're wrong about the track names and sequence. And did you not read the track listing I posted? They are not all the same track names nor done in the same sequence.

The Definitive Edition was not a state side release (It was produced in Germany) and it was actually released in 1994, not 2009. Given how much music technology has changed in the past 22 years and that they're rebuilding the album from the ground up with Brad Fiedel taking part in the process, I think we're going to get a different listening experience than what the Definitive Edition offered. And you're wrong about the track names and sequence. And did you not read the track listing I posted? They are not all the same track names nor done in the same sequence.

I bought it in the states. The CD date is 2009. Track names and sequence are identical except the word 'remix' is not in the last track.

I bought it in the states. The CD date is 2009. Track names and sequence are identical except the word 'remix' is not in the last track.

I've checked with all my soundtrack sources and threads across a lot of forums and I have yet to find an official Terminator (1984) soundtrack that was released in 2009. This leads to two possibilities.

1. You may have the Terminator: Salvation (2009) soundtrack instead of the original.
2, You have a bootleg soundtrack that was made in 2009.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back