Anyone big into listening to soundtracks?

I had the "Battlestar Galactica" score on 8-track.

And my Mom had the "Hithhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" theme on an Eagles 8-track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rOMGIbY-9s

Man, I wore those 8-tracks OUT!

*edit*
Also - I know this isn't technically a "soundtrack"...
but who else had this on 45?

Another 45 I had as a kid:

Man, I miss being a kid...

Last edited by a moderator:
Superman The Movie, Man Of Steel, Back To The Future, From Dusk Till Dawn, Dumb And Dumber, Batman. The list goes on. Have been to 2 live orchestras of the music of John Williams, hearing all those great scores played live was absoluitly mind blowing, I would highly recommended it!!!! :)

I have to say, most or not all of Danny Elfman scores are good :p

For a while everything he did sounded the same. Some of his more recent stuff seems to have a sound that's different, and in my opinion better. I love the score for the movie Wanted for example.

If you like Elfman you will probably like Marco Beltrami. He does a lot of Guillermo del Toro's movies.

For a while everything he did sounded the same. Some of his more recent stuff seems to have a sound that's different, and in my opinion better. I love the score for the movie Wanted for example.

If you like Elfman you will probably like Marco Beltrami. He does a lot of Guillermo del Toro's movies.

Danny made iconic themes though. His has a "style" which makes it sound similar, but his main film/tv themes are great!

I know Marco Beltrami, I really enjoyed 3:10 to yuma and The hurt locker ^^

I listen to sound tracks ( and tested pod cast) as I work, my most listened to would have to be John Williams , yes everything he has written , but the best would have to be the sound track to the perfect movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark ,I picked up the complete 4 movie boxed edition and it is on at least once a week

I'm in a slight Firefly obsession mode, so I've been listening to the OST a lot, also, A Fistful of Dollars, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Kill Bill, Blade Runner, and mixes of various Joh Williams. I'm slightly burnt out on vocal music for whatever reason right now, so instrumental tracks are really doing it for me.

I've been thinking about this general subject since I first posted in it, and I have some further thoughts... I feel I should differentiate between soundtracks and scores. It was a lesson I learned the hard way when I bought the Batman (1989) soundtrack and got none of the Danny Elfman music I'd been wanting to hear. It was all the songs used in the movie, all by Prince. So very, very not the same thing. *heh*

I love scores and there are certain composers whose work I'd get without hesitation (Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Moriccone, Vangelis, James Horner, John Williams, Basil Pouledoris...), certain film or TV series whose scores I get as much for completeness as appreciation, and others I'd get when a particular film caught my attention, but I wasn't overly enamored with the composers' other works. But soundtracks... I can credit soundtracks for introducing me to groups or artists I either didn't know about before or had heard of but not listened to (either because I didn't think I'd like them, hadn't liked what I'd heard, or just simply not gotten round to it yet and felt no hurry to do so). Thanks to soundtracks, I came to appreciate or made the effort to acquire works by Jane Siberry, David Bowie, The Cure, Big Pig, Extreme, Scorpion, Bon Jovi, The Machines of Loving Grace, Orbital, and quite a few others.

Sometimes I'm frustrated that a group or artist did a song specifically for a film and the only place one can get it is that film's score/soundtrack, regardless of whether I want the rest of it. The Cure's "Burn", David Bowie's "Real Cool World", U2's "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"... Most famously, Simple Minds' "Don't You (Forget About Me)"...

I gotta say, I was really happy when hard drive space started to get big enough I could rip specific songs (and many of them) uncompressed as .wav files. Happier with where we are now, and I can plunk forty or so albums' worth of music on a 32GB micro-SD card. God, I love living in the future...

--Jonah

I do listen to certain Soundtracks / Scores more or less regularly.
There's the classic Williams stuff (Star Wars, Indy, Jurassic Park) and then score from Conan, which is absolutely amazing.
I also like most Tarantino soundtracks (Dusk till Dawn, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) and sometimes I even give the old Top Gun soundtrack a spin.

And then there's the wonderful domain of video-game soundtracks. I have quite a few, mostly from Roleplaying games, and I mix them up into tranquil, soothing playlists.
All of the Elder Scrolls soundtracks by Jeremy Soule, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, as well as Icewind Dale by Michael Hoenig. The score from Lord of the Rings Online is also quite nice. And a special mention must go to the few old midi-tracks of the Ultima Online soundtrack, as they instantly transport me back into what was my first online gaming experience.

the only sountracks im big on are FRIGHT NIGHT ( the original series , not the one with colin) nightmare on elm street ( score) godzilla ( score) tron legacy and the lost boys .
those are always on rotation on my ipod .

Reelo
those are pretty good actually =3

you may want to try the band CORVUS CORAX i think their song was called LEGUA MENDAX cus it does have the opening battle theme for conan as inspiration ( someone mixed WOW scenes with the song and pulled it off nicely) ; the guy who did the children of dune /dune saga from sci-fi channel is amazing as well :)

Does any body stream from Pandora or some other site? Any recommendations?

My channels constantly play the same thing over and over. I have grown tired of Giachinno's Star Trek and Zimmer's Batman scores. They are good, but over played.

Vanilla Sky, The Big Lebowski, Don't be a Menace, and I listen to the provocative contemporary film score channel on songza a lot.

This week I've been mostly listening to 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' by Daniel Pemberton

Brilliant movie

Brilliant soundtrack

Love this theme,.....very Ennio Morricone

....kicks in at 1:00.......then practice your slow motion walk

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to say, the "Kung Fury" soundtrack is a good choice to listen to at the Gym (with only a track or two being the exception)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back