What is the best Star Trek Enterprise NCC-1701 model you can get for under $500?

O1OO1O11

my wife's birthday is in a month and a half. i would like to find a great model to either build or buy pre-assembled.

there are a ton of models out there but i do not know which one is considered a really good replica. would love it to have lights and a great paint job.

any ideas?

TOS or Refit?
For the TOS, Round 2's 1/350 scale kit and lighting kit for under $500.
Keep in mind it's almost 3 feet long.

Refit, probably not going to happen for that price accept for maybe the one from Japan.

If you can find a bandai kit on eBay. They are nice, painted, lighted and easy to build. Exchange the yellow bulbs with LEDs and its a nice little display.

I should clarify something in case anyone else wants to respond:

am looking for the NCC-1701 model from the original TV show only

Round 2 1:350 scale kit carefully assembled would be the best.

Prebuilt at that scale is the Master Replicas... long sold out and they go for more than twice your budget I think. But she's magnificent (here's somebody's pic I just snagged off of Flickr... but you can see she has the right "look")

8341245104_c2f7cf74e3_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlee_pictures/8341245104/

The Art Asylum/Diamond Select toys are pretty cool, I have one in front of me now. But remember they ARE just toys, unpainted gray plastic. In the first issue they got the "NCC-1701" across the top saucer crooked. Handy size for desk display and they are pre-built. They have variants like the "HD" version (more detailed), and the Cage and Where No Man versions.

At about 16" long, it's just a tad smaller than the old AMT model kit.

2418354890_157fb0266a_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boyce-d/2418354890/in/photostream/

Last edited:
708874.jpg

I'm going to try the Revell (Germany) 1/600 TOS Enterprise. About 19" long and lots of clear plastic parts for lighting the kit.

No love for the Furuta ships? For the price and size I like them. They're a few inches long, pre painted, with some assembly required. Detailing is alright for the price and size. They aren't lit however.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't thing Bandai made a TOS E and the prices on those kits keeps climbing.

The Revell Germany is a heartbreaker. Those engraved gridlines!

Overall though, I kind of like the proportions. Not "the best model" by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes a statement.

If you're modeling the 11-footer in the Smithsonian, that's your kit I think, :lol

K

If you can find a bandai kit on eBay. They are nice, painted, lighted and easy to build. Exchange the yellow bulbs with LEDs and its a nice little display.

+1 for the Bandai kit. It's a high quality prepainted kit that all you have to do is assemble it. The paint scheme is reasonable, and it looks really nice when it's finished. Its perfect for someone that doesnt have a lot of room to display one of the 1/350s. There is a build blog on CultTVman's site a few years back. They are a little pricey now. They start to go for a $140 and up, but you can occasionally snag a bargain on eBay. It's well with in the OPs budget. Most of them sold on eBay come out of Japan or HK.

I have a Refit 1/350 not started yet, but I still like the Bandai kit and like Galaxyman said the kit is easy to build.

Just saw the OPs post about wanting a TOS version of the ship. I guess that rules out the Bandai kit! :D it's still a great kit though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back