Revisiting the v3 xwing

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Long term tinkering project that i am not sure will wind up anywhere but here it is. This will be taking a backseat to the SS Shuttle as soon as it gets here but figured it would be a good time to share pics before i made much more progress. Working on the gear down swap x wing got me a little motivated to play with the patter, I should just leave well enough alone but i have been tinkering with the fuselage a bit to get it a little closer to the pyro fuselage. Moe got this incredibly close but i wanted to kind of "reverse engineer" the cockpit area by fitting the fuselage to the canopy frame rather than fitting the frame to the fuselage. Again the V3 is very close, but needed about 1mm added to each side of the fuselage at the widest part of the frame/fuselage meeting point (the split between the forward and back frame) The fuselage also needed to be narrowed just a bit at the forward most part of the frame. This led to all sorts of subtle changes in the shape of the fuselage. Using the pyro as a guide i have detected a bit of a curvature to the side walls between the nose and the canopy, i would guess a result of hand sanding on the original pattern? So i skim coated the entire renshape v3 pattern and added the curve while keeping the dims correct. The overall effect mimics the "fullness" in that part of the fuselage. Also needed to widen just in back of the canopy frame (between r2 and the frame) by about 1mm.

Couple of pics with the v3 fuselage, not sure if any of these changes are all that detectable in pics. The canopy on the new fuselage is a stand in from the pyro casting, i will need to build a new one for the pattern. I still don't even have a V3 for myself at this point other than that landing gear one so i may wind up molding this at some point. I have also worked out a "economy" s foil set up using standard size aluminum rod and the L brackets configured to cast in a HD resin, if i decide to mold all this at some point.
thanks
mike

Last edited:
Ooh....will watch this closely. I have the V3 and a Pyro hull. Be good to see the corrections. BTW, would it be possible to buy two Pyro canopy copies from you? Given Frank is also cool with it. The Pyro kit I have didn't have one and I could also use one on the V3 I bought from you to also make the corrections.

Joe

I only have my own pyro canopy casting. The new one for this will be molded into the fuselage so i won't have a separate mold for it.

Quick look with the panel lines almost done, need to clean one or two up but once i add the canopy and the chip details i should be able to get molding. With the panel lines in I think you can see some of the differences in the fuselage better, the real difference will be when the canopy is in place.
thanks
mike

Mike

I know you've been working on a lot of other stuff. Do you know if / when you will kit this new version. You can add me to the list for one.

Soon as i am done with the galactica i will make a decision on what to do with this, options are a "naked" fuselage + rare parts=builders kit or just remold the whole thing and make it available again. Either way i have an open/close mechanism that i will cast in HD resin with an alluminum partial armature for those who want that. Any suggestions welcome....
thanks
mike

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back