'Sculpting...' booksigning/screening - the aftermath

This was a great event and thank you to everyone involved.

You were brave to put your work out in public. I saw an 8 year old with his hands all over the X Wing - didn't seem to hurt it.

I really liked the way the models were displayed on the stands. I want to get the MR Falcon and would like to display it using one.

Where did you buy them and what type of stands are they.

Thank you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormy320 @ Dec 12 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]1376796[/snapback]</div>
This was a great event and thank you to everyone involved.

You were brave to put your work out in public. I saw an 8 year old with his hands all over the X Wing - didn't seem to hurt it.

I really liked the way the models were displayed on the stands. I want to get the MR Falcon and would like to display it using one.

Where did you buy them and what type of stands are they.

Thank you
[/b]

I have had very good luck (or karma) displaying props at that venue in that nothing has been swiped or broken ('cept when I move it). It's a really nice neighborhood and most of the people are locals and they brought their kids. I had some friends there watching the stuff, too. I'll put small stuff in a case, but these things are too big and heavy to walk away with. At a party last night, I was told by a couple of people who made it that Jon Favreau was there and he made sure the kids he brought didn't touch.......cool.

The stands themselves have an interesting history. The TIE fighter was sitting on a tripod/camera head combo. The X-wing was on a camera head I Placed on a metal TV stand. The company I worked for aquired a stage facility called Praxis many moons ago and got all this equipment. Praxis was initially owned by Robbie Blalock, who supervised the opticals for STAR WARS and I think GALACTICA. I think Praxis also gets a credit on the film somewhere. Anyhoo, when our company finally shut down the stage a few years ago, I aquired a bunch of those stands, pretty much for the purpose of displaying the models. They are actually old tripods (some ex-Navy surplus) with TV Camera friction heads on them (though the mounting plate and screw will work for film cameras too). Everything is standardized and you can swap them out. None of them are geared and none of them are MOCO. But they are movie equipment. Rolando noticed that one of them even has a custom fitting with WARNER BROS. on it. They weigh a ton (well, easily 40 lbs.) and are difficult to trip over.

When I get done with it, the TIE fighter will actually be mounted out of the rear of the ship to a custom pylon I made that mimics the pylons I've used on other shows. I even found a few scraps of the blue material similar to what they used for the bluescreen back in the day to cover the pylon. The TIE fighter is not done, but it was good enough for the event. I have a Harrier pilot, I just can't find it (I moved this summer and I am still going through boxes). The wings are actually just screwed on with drywall screws (so I can remove them and get in there and touch up the paint). I epoxied a series of washers into the wing hubs and then just drove a 3" drywall screw into the arms. Rolando was the one holding them in place while I was attaching them at 10pm the night before the show. He really got a workout. I'll send him more photos today.

Gene

can somebody tell me how to remove the book form the deluxe edition case, I got out the model parts but cant figure out how to get the darned book out

Here are more pics of the book signing taken by Gene.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Gene's lunch got knocked over.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Hey Gene, whats with the crotch shots?

14_3.jpg

15_3.jpg

Hey Gene, whats with the crotch shots?

Well, Rolando - you did ask me to take a memorable shot of the two of you. Besides, the real answer (that your camera has a really long delay between the time you push the button and the time it goes off) is somewhat mundane.

I have some more pics from the guys up on stage. I'll get them to Rolando soon.

Gene

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back