Dual Han In Carbonite Build

Thank you all very much for the inspiring words!

Went to play poker at my friend Gabriels house, where I'm also building the two Han Solos in Carbonite.
Took the opportunity to take a picture of Han and my friend Anders:

MeK8P.jpg

Han is glued to the board now (minus the feet which will be added next time), next up is filling in the seams around him to make him blend into the board smoothly and add woodglue all around and make the carbonite texture. A lot of filling and sanding after that.

PS: We sometimes call Gabriel "Gabba", and Anders coined the phrase Gabba's Palace as the name for the basement. I thought it was hysterical and can't believe noone has thought of it before.

Looks great so far! I went with a zenix box kit for mine but it must feel great knowing you did that much more of it yourself.

If you need a lighting kit for the hero panel, I have a new, improved version coming out soon :)

Thanks man!
Yeah, it feels good having built the boxes from scratch, it took some hours, but it was dirt cheap in comparison to getting pieces CNCed and mailed to me.

I'd definitely be on the lookout for some lighting kits for the hero panel, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Nice work looks just as good as a CNC job. Did you just use a standard 3/4" MDF sheet like what you'd pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Dude that is awesome i want one. Do i even want to ask how much this build would cost me to make ?

I would guesstimate it to be around 700-900 USD depending on what type of faceplate (Han-cast) you use, and how detailed and accurate you want the sidepanels to be, as they fast can become the most expensive thing on this build, especially so if you want the Hero-panel with lights.

And I excpect to use around 150 hours finishing these two. I'm at 33,5 hours building in the basement now, and I've never done a project like this before.

Did you just use a standard 3/4" MDF sheet like what you'd pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Yep. Measured thrice (three times) and cut the correct measurements.
Used a jigsaw and a steady hand for the holes.
It's becoming really heavy though, so I guess you could use thinner material to save on weight, but then you'd have to reinforce it well with crossbraces on the back to keep it from warping when moved. (I still have to reinforce it well now).

this is really amazing. I only have the Illusive Originals replica... and the more I read about it on here, the more I like fan made ones.... pretty cool... I will continue to watch how this progresses.... amazing work!

Great build and prop, I mentioned trying this myself, however my wife is unwilling ti accept this until I build our new house (priorities :))

Had another go at it today, and did another pass of filler where neccessary and finally started to make the carbonite texture by pouring woodglue over, something that went very smoothly:

R4pEH19.jpg

6bQ0Zaw.jpg

LCr5XcJ.jpg

NZR5HXV.jpg

I have been swamped with school and work since newyears, so I haven't been able to do nearly as much on this project as I would like.
I'll try to make another pass tomorrow, as I have the entire day off.
Wanting to make it presentable (sans sidepanels) by next saturday, and maybe stroll it around during the may 17th national day parade.

The previous pass of woodglue had seeped in to the woodwork pretty good, so I did another pass and made the texture around Han Solo. I figured I'd get the texture approximately the same as the original, but not be nitpicky about the exact patterns, just get the right "feeling". Then I sanded and filled the remaining spots, and then sanded again.

Q3RX03L.jpg

sonDR9P.jpg

Wiped it clean with a damp cloth and finally put primer on it, which made it look like a complete piece.

bxRchfk.jpg

hzWCj2W.jpg

Then I was quick to spray the box-portion with Rustoleum brand Stainless Steel

M9zCW5D.jpg

R1UKhnR.jpg

YgnzNb9.jpg

I then waited until it was dry to the touch, masked off and sprayed the carbonite texture and Han with Rustoleum brand Aluminium

0erT2FK.jpg

76lFR2J.jpg

wHjVPay.jpg

The whole painting seance took me less than two hours, from primer to Aluminium coat (including driving a trip to get another box of primer because I had been a noob and only bought one, which wasn't enough).
I let the paint dry for a day, and came back to weather it with thinned down black acrylic paint.
I painted the black on with a brush, let it sit for a little bit (just the right amount of time, a delicate business) and wiped it off with a cloth, doing multiple passes over all. I also weathered the "stainless steel" box.

xYkTleP.jpg

orCUmQ7.jpg

VnNNqUP.jpg

aPxPVki.jpg

R3u14MC.jpg

After that, which took me just under two hours, I let him get some sun, and meet other people.

PBYesdY.jpg

OnqC4sk.jpg

x6irCOe.jpg

I am very happy with the result, and I'm looking forward to getting him in my livingroom.
Right now he's at the firestation where we will change tomorrow and walk in the national day parade.

I still have the sidepanels to finish, and will probably do those across the summer. But in the meantime, I'm happy to let him shine as he is!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back