Doctor Who Ice Warrior 1:1 Bust Sculpture

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my first life-size sculpture. I've done a lot of things with Sculpey, but I've always wanted to do 1:1 monsters and aliens.

My favorite Science Fiction is Doctor Who, and I noticed that there are few, if any, full sized busts. I thought that gave me a great opportunity to do something kind of unique.

I decided to start with the ICE WARRIOR from classic Doctor Who because I thought it would be something easy to start with, but still iconic.

This is a progress shot of the sculpture. I'm pretty happy with it, but I still need to do some smoothing and add the scales. Let me know what you think.

Mine
View attachment 125366

Reference Image
View attachment 125367

Thank you for your kind word. The great thing about the Ice Warriors as a starting point is that in every epsiode the helmet is a little different, so that gives me some room for imperfections.

I have completed the sculpting part of this project and I'm prett happy considering it's my first life sized bust. It took me a while because the Ice Warriors have scales and it was time consuming to sculpt them all.

I have ordered the silicon for the mold so that's the next step

Here are some pictures of the final sculpture. It's not perfect but I'm pretty proud of it. Take a look and let me know what you think.

View attachment 126879

View attachment 126880

View attachment 126881

I think it looks pretty good. The texture is nice. The only thing that seems like it could be improved is the set of the brow - yours seems to give more of an 'open/happy' expression to the helmet due to the arch while in the ref pic it looks to go straight across and be more neutral.

I made a silicone mold of this about 8 months ago. For nearly that long the rotocasting resin has has been sitting next to the mold, because I was too intimidated to make the cast.

I finally did the rotocast this evening. From what I can see of the inside it's not very even, but everything appears to be covered. Tomorrow I'll demold and see how it came out. As it's my first one and I'm still learning I image there will be a fair bit of putty and sanding, but as long as it's workable I'll be happy.

So say a little prayer for me...

Last edited:
Here we are!!! The first pull from the mold. It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with it (especially for a first try). It still needs trimming, putty and painting. This is a huge milestone. I have already poured the second one. I'm hoping it will be better.

This first one is going to be a helmet... probably battle damaged to cover the defects, like dents. I will have to trim out the mouth area, but it's pretty strait forward.

Here are the images, Take a look and let me know what you think...

Ice Warrior Bust.jpg P3210051.JPG

I've trimmed the first casting and fixed most of the dents with a hairdryer. I primed it with Krylon Grey Primer and it's starting to look promising. The next step is to paint it emerald green with spray paint. It's not the right color, but it will make a good base for all the hand painting I'll be doing.

Here's an image of the helmet (non-wearable) primed. Let me know what you think.

P3230052.JPG

I made some progress on this today. I have painted both versions today. The only thing left is clear coating and pouring some clear resin in the eyes and ears. The clear resin will give the illusion of lenses.

The pictures here are of the "bust version". I have another one that I cut the mouth out to make more of a non-wearable helmet. I think it came out pretty well for a first bust sculpture, first silicone mold, and first rotocast. Take a look and let me know what you think.

P3290061.JPG P3290062.JPG P3290056.JPG

Just one last update. Here is a picture of the non wearable helmet on the display base. The base has an ice like effect done with some glitter paints and a lot of layering. I put a ton of clear coat on it to give a glassy look. The picture really doesn't do it justice. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Ice Warrior Helmet with stand.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back