Casting silicone with a silicone mold

Hello! I hope this is not a dead thread, but I was trying to figure out how to cast silicone in various straw like shapes, hopefully in a silicone mold. Any suggestions? Would this process work with spray release applied? Any feedback is very much appreciated!
It can be done with a release agent. A spray on will be best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll start looking into some release agent like the ones listed above. I've been more worried about them drying, as sometimes they just don't. Maybe from lack of air?

Thanks! I'll start looking into some release agent like the ones listed above. I've been more worried about them drying, as sometimes they just don't. Maybe from lack of air?

If you use an additive silicone, curing will not be a problem.

If you are wanting to use a cheap caulking silicone, stick it in the fridge. Air curing is actually condensation curing, so get it nice and cold, then leave on the bench. Or add acetone to the mix and as that evaporates, it make condensation and will cure the silicone in about 2 hours.

Your best results will come from using a good quality additive silicone.

That's a pretty good idea, I've been using contractor silicone, as it *usually* mixes well with paint. As an example if I mix 2 parts silicone and 1 part naptha or acetone ( not sure which would be better) then fill a drinking straw, it should dry/cure after a bit in the fridge? Also, should I refrigerate before or after mixing? Sorry for all the questions, this is very helpful thanks!

I am not sure if you need to refrigerate once mixed with acetone (less smell than other liquids) as that liquid will create the condensation as it evaporates.
The other unknown is, how you will get these out of the straws later.

Well I've been experimenting with the straws, I usually fill the straws with the mixture then cut one side so I could open it later, only problem is that when it does dry it's very spotty, or potmarked with what looks like bubble holes.

Well I've been experimenting with the straws, I usually fill the straws with the mixture then cut one side so I could open it later, only problem is that when it does dry it's very spotty, or potmarked with what looks like bubble holes.

Because to get solid rubber parts, you need to degas and I think this was mentioned earler.

Also, if you are using caulking silicone, it does not flow as it is already in a gel state. The stuff we make molds from are liquids that gel up and then set into rubber. But you are also looking at $40+ per KG pending where you buy it from.

Ooph, well I guess it's worth it for the right project, I've just been trying to do it on a budget. I did find out however, that to fix the problem I just mix up more of the same and pretty much coat them in it while wetting my fingers and kind of giving it a top layer to fill in holes and smooth it out, similar to caulking a bathtub. I really appreciate the time you put in to answering my questions and helping me out, hopefully I can do the same some day

Ooph, well I guess it's worth it for the right project, I've just been trying to do it on a budget. I did find out however, that to fix the problem I just mix up more of the same and pretty much coat them in it while wetting my fingers and kind of giving it a top layer to fill in holes and smooth it out, similar to caulking a bathtub. I really appreciate the time you put in to answering my questions and helping me out, hopefully I can do the same some day

I get where you are coming from, but there comes a time when you can spend as much money on trying to achieve a result and having to re-do it due to fails as you can just buying the real stuff.

I want to cast silicone into a small but quite deep silicone mold, so I won't be able to brush the insides. I tried to use ease release 205 by pouring it in and pouring it back out again, but it seems to have affected the cast and made it tacky, and you can also smell the release agent on it which makes me wonder if it might be bad for longer skin contact. I was thinking about trying to pour spray wax into the mold instead. Would that be possible or do you have to spray it on so it won't be too thick? If spray wax is an option, what kind of wax should I use? Would silicone-free carnauba sprayvax that you use for cars work?

Hope the post wasn't too long and ranty.
Thanks in advance! :)
//Phontas

@Phontas it sounds like you didn't give the 205 enough time to dry, it should have a dull dry look when ready. It may also help to make the mold with polyurethane rubber which the silicone won't stick to.

I forgot to spray release on the mold before pouring the silicone in now the mold and the cast wont seperate in a lot of parts. :/
Is there anyway to help it release? Other wise my molds are basically ***ked.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back