Small costume upgrades for my 5 year old Halloween costume....

wilee98

Well started this a while back I'm doing repulsors and a helmet ( of it comes out good) for my son' s costume. Did not think at how long this takes to pep but so far it's still fun any advise I would love...

Last edited:
Those repulsors are looking great buddy...how many LED's are in them? The only advice I can give is on the helmet...like I said on my Pepakura tips Youtube vid...leave the ear pieces off until the helmet is complete/Bondoed smooth and then attach them at the end (same with the teeth details if you're doing the Mark 4/6 helmet). Other than that, just make sure everything is adjusted and symmetrical with a hair dryer before you start fiberglassing and Bondo. It's much easier than trying to fix problem areas with body filler later. Don't rush the pep-work, get it as perfect as you can from the start. Good luck, will be anxious to see more progress in the future.

Thanks, and the light is just one led from a dollar tree light will put up pictures. And what do you mean a hair dryer might have to go back to your videos...

IMAG0299.jpg

It was in the part 2 video I believe. If part of a piece is a little crooked, not symmetrical, dented etc. you can adjust it after it's resined inside and out (before fiberglassing) by heating the area with a hair dryer and holding the area in position until it cools. As it cools (about a minute) and the resin hardens back up it will hold its shape. Look over your helmet from various angles and adjust it wherever you need to.....it saves a lot of time over trying to correct with Bondo.

Well have an update on the upgrades, the Mark 4 helmet that I was doing turned out to be too small, so I had to find a more simple one to do because I WAS NOT ATTEMPTING that again just too get it wrong again. But I will be doing the Mark 4 or 6 for myself and it will be Sharheads just because of the detail in it. Well here is the progress would do more but need to get to bed...

First atempt.....
IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

The new one will try a fit and resin it tomorrow....
IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

And thats it for now....

Well here is the update was wondering if anyone can help on the resin, should i support the inside of the helmet and with what thanks????

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

I didn't find a need to support mine. I just brushed a light coat on the outside, waited for it to harden, then brushed a light coat on the inside. Didn't have any real warpage...but it's easy to correct with your hair dryer if you get a little. If I were going to add supports I would just use cardboard or thin sticks of wood hot glued in, which could be cut out later if they got stuck/resined in there.

Looks like the one side of the jaw is sunk in a bit. Same thing happened to me because I pulled the lower jaw up too tight to the upper jaw when I was putting it together. Fix it with your hair dryer after you get the inside resined and it's cured........I'm still trying to correct mine, only now I have to use Bondo to build it back out instead of fixing it when I was at the stage you're at. Don't make my mistake. Building out one area with Bondo means you also have to build out all the surrounding areas, just to keep everything even.....I had to adjust half the left side of the helmet just to fix the sunk in jaw/teeth area. Yours is looking good though....now I got to work on mine some more, lol.

Looks like the one side of the jaw is sunk in a bit. Same thing happened to me because I pulled the lower jaw up too tight to the upper jaw when I was putting it together. Fix it with your hair dryer after you get the inside resined and it's cured........I'm still trying to correct mine, only now I have to use Bondo to build it back out instead of fixing it when I was at the stage you're at. Don't make my mistake. Building out one area with Bondo means you also have to build out all the surrounding areas, just to keep everything even.....I had to adjust half the left side of the helmet just to fix the sunk in jaw/teeth area. Yours is looking good though....now I got to work on mine some more, lol.

Thanks for the advice I will take heed on it, got any pictures of your progress...

Thanks for the advice I will take heed on it, got any pictures of your progress...

Where it stands at this point. Still sanding the first layer of bondo.
DSCF6467.jpg

DSCF6468.jpg

DSCF6480.jpg

You can see where I built out the jaw area with Bondo. Also going to cut out the teeth and redo them using hardboard instead of paper.
DSCF6482.jpg

Very cool. I have a 1 year old and I'm already excited to do something like this for him when he gets a little old.

Your son is going to love it.

Looks good boochie I hope mine comes out as good as yours. And yes my boy loves it so much now that when it was paper he ran around the house acting like iron man. And he's dieing for me to finish the repulsors because he can't leave it alone LOL. But I just hope I get done for Halloween.

Looks good boochie I hope mine comes out as good as yours. And yes my boy loves it so much now that when it was paper he ran around the house acting like iron man. And he's dieing for me to finish the repulsors because he can't leave it alone LOL. But I just hope I get done for Halloween.

Thanks buddy. Once you get that first layer of Bondo sanded it really starts coming together. I hope it turns out good in the end. I remember when I was little, my dad made me a crude Batman costume from an old ski mask and I did the same thing as your boy...running about the house and having all kinds of fun. I'm sure if Pepakura were around when I was little, and my dad made me something like what you're doing I would have absolutely freaked, lol. Will you be cutting out any parts like the faceplate...or just keeping things simple?

I will be cutting the face and will be using magnets to hold it on. I would love to have the eyes light up but I think it will be more in his way. And its funny at the level of imagination we all had as kids LOL.

They usually look big without the rest of the armor on with it. As you said, any smaller and it wouldn't fit. A child wearing a helmet or even an entire suit that was originally intended for a 6' tall adult to wear is always going to look a bit off, even if it's scaled down. It's fine.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back