What are the best ways to coat foam

reysdf

Can some one please list what are the best to least ways to coat foam I would really like that info and where to get it. I seen a couple of product but I would like to get them all on one thread.

I am also interested in this as I am getting closer and closer to that part of my build.
I have seen james' video about using pva and smoothon 65d. it gave a seemingly very nice finish. however, smooth on is not very easy to get and is a bit expensive.
The next option i have seen is to use plasti-dip. That seems to give a good finish as well, but i imagine a bit more flexible than smooth on. (this is speculation. i have used neither.) That stuff seems to be even more expensive once you have to buy 30 cans tho!
The last method i have seen is to us rondo. (1:1 mix of fiberglass resin and bondo)
I imagine this will give you the hardest, nicest finish at the most reasonable price. (tho, probably take the most work to look nice.)
I would be very interested in what people who have used the different methods have to say.

Ideally (Albeit Expensive) Rosco Flexbond is going to give you the best Flexible finish on Foam. at $35 a Can..a bit pricey.

I have been using Plasti-Dip on most of my parts and it holds up fairly well, though you are going to get wrinkling in places that flex a lot. The PVA Glue method can work without the Smooth-on.

Lately, I've been testing out different paints and how well they hold up. The Winner is Angelus Leather/Vinyl Paint. No cracking, no peeling, very flexible. I didn't even need a sealant except for painting Light colors on dark foam. It can be airbrushed.

Other options include Thinned out Plain old White glue. The only drawback to it is that you risk ruining the painted foam if you go out in the elements. Glue melts in water.

My favorite and easiest access to is Plasti-dip spray and then airbrushing the Angelus paints or Createx brand. Airbrush is will give you a Way better finish than any brush job.

Rondo is NOT a good solution. It will crack easily, and then you have the whole stickiness issue to deal with. Where can that Angelus Leather Vinyl paint be had?

I'm a fan of using Acrylic Kilz to prime, cheap acrylic craft paint, and acrylic Future Floor Wax to seal.

Ideally (Albeit Expensive) Rosco Flexbond is going to give you the best Flexible finish on Foam. at $35 a Can..a bit pricey.

I have been using Plasti-Dip on most of my parts and it holds up fairly well, though you are going to get wrinkling in places that flex a lot. The PVA Glue method can work without the Smooth-on.

Lately, I've been testing out different paints and how well they hold up. The Winner is Angelus Leather/Vinyl Paint. No cracking, no peeling, very flexible. I didn't even need a sealant except for painting Light colors on dark foam. It can be airbrushed.

Other options include Thinned out Plain old White glue. The only drawback to it is that you risk ruining the painted foam if you go out in the elements. Glue melts in water.

My favorite and easiest access to is Plasti-dip spray and then airbrushing the Angelus paints or Createx brand. Airbrush is will give you a Way better finish than any brush job.
I agree. The flexbond is spendy but worth it. you get alot im not sure where the 35 dollars came from but i got a huge gallon size straight from the company for 45 with shipping.
Depending on color. Seal with watered down flexbond then platidip. ive tested and eva foam usually soaks in the plasti dip like a sponge. I've also used kylon plastic spray over flexbond and it works great.

Go ahead and try it yourself. I just did a sample piece the other day. I tapped it with a metal ruler, and smash. Like glass.

That was WITH a basecoat of pva glue too.

Try it? My whole suit is coated with it lol. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Ya just need to learn how to do it right. Everyone coats a different way which is cool just dont knock somthing unless you have solid evidence to back it up. My suit speaks for itself...peace :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back