How to plastic coat foam costume pieces

Thanks Darkside and no not a a single crack on paint, also still soft inside i didnt mess with nothin cuz i wanted to keep it soft. Finnlock good investigating. Its all trial and error believe me i made many mistakes till found route that worked for me. I would seal my foam with plastic dip before but had trouble getting things to bond to it. Then watch XRobots tut and he used pva, couldnt find the stuff in my area and theres a walmart in every corner thats where i found modpodge and it kinda the same. Pretty much if the foam is sealed perfectly anything will bond to it. Heres a pic of one of many helmets i messed up on and destroyed in uncontrolable rage lol then finally got to the other helmet. and for the eyes i just slapped to pieces of paper till i put lights in lol

Xrobot. My jaw almost dropped off when I saw the finish you have achieved. That is amazing. Im struggling finding a rotocast product locally though. Could you point me in the direction of a UK supplier? Also, how many litres/kg do you think is required for an entire suit?
Thanks in advance.

Heres what I'm about to try out from GRP supplies. Go to thier web page as some items are cheaper direct from them.

EasyFlo 120 - 1 Litre Roto / Slush Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Kit | eBay

*edit*

As for the amount, it would depend in how large the suit is x how many coats you want to layer on it. Start with a 1kg kit and see if you can get 3 coats out of it I reckon. If there's not enough, there are smaller quantities available, and if you have some left over you can add some extra coats to parts like the knees, elbows, shins and helmet (cranium and face plate) for extra strength :thumbsup

Last edited:
Xrobot. My jaw almost dropped off when I saw the finish you have achieved. That is amazing. Im struggling finding a rotocast product locally though. Could you point me in the direction of a UK supplier? Also, how many litres/kg do you think is required for an entire suit?
Thanks in advance.

Here's an online UK supplier for Smooth-on products, which is part of Bentley Chemicals who are the main importer:

Moulding and Casting - Curetime Home page

You could try other types of fast cast also though as Canobi says. In terms of quantities I really have no idea since I've only done one small piece, I guess you'll have to try some samples and make an estimate.

Hi xrobots

I tried that place a few times and they haven't answered any of my inquirys to date. I need some clearflex 95 for my project but can't find it anywhere else or anything similar in the uk. If you've done business with them, I'd love to know your secret :lol.

Hi xrobots

I tried that place a few times and they haven't answered any of my inquirys to date. I need some clearflex 95 for my project but can't find it anywhere else or anything similar in the uk. If you've done business with them, I'd love to know your secret :lol.

I just checked out on their website and the stuff arrived, I've placed at least two orders with them for 65D with no problems. Have you tried calling Bentley direct?: Mould Making and Casting Supplies from Bentley Advanced Materials

Or calling Curetime?: Contact information - Curetime

docholiday78 - That sir is the best foam IM helmet I've ever seen. After years of Foam work, I honestly never thought we would ever get to this point, but after seeing what xrobots did I went out and bought the chemicals, now that I see what you did I'm building my Mark 7 this way, no doubt. This is the best I got with plastidip and clear coat over foam, but defiantly not anywhere near as amazing as what both of yours look like, congrats to both of you for (in my humble opinion) revolutionizing the possibilities of foam armor construction.

527385_353756598014583_339327822790794_1021816_314588284_n.jpg

389174_353756621347914_339327822790794_1021817_1301036270_n.jpg

Wow, very fast replies. Im using the standard scale on all pieces.

Also what colours are people using? I've gone for nightfire red but I think its a bit dark.

Xrobots is the genius who started it all. I just tweaked his idea with the materials i had in my area. And Wondersquid excellent job, makes my helmets ive tried with plastic dip laughable. Im also tryin somthing new with my mark 7. With my helmet i used foamies for top of helmet cuz with the 1/2 inch foam was hard to get it not lookin boxy and it held perfectly so im trying Darksides 501st mark 7 using foamies and so far goin really well. trying to find different ways to make it easier and cheaper, no more buying blades just one pair scissors. like my father would always say " Lazy mans always thinking." lol i will post pics soon pn Darksides thread soon.

Wondersquid, was wondering why you went with the black shading in the seams.

Something else I was curious about. I have used the rigid casting resin, and have worked with rondo which do you guys think is the better route?

Doc did you use mod podge only or did you use a white glue first then mod podge? I found MP at walmart, with 5 coats thats a lot, does it not go on thick?

Last edited:
huttman Ive never used smoothcast before but since you've worked with both materials, which one gave you better results? Theres your answer. And I used Modp spraycan only and it can go on thick or thin depends on you, but i went light even coats until foam stopped absorbing it and felt rigid enough for rondo which was 5 coats. Good luck

Hey huttman, I always like something to pop the lines more, it usually helps to attract your eyes to the larger shapes. But if I could get the paint to mask cleaner then I wouldn't have to hide the seams too.:)

Hi everyone... I am in need of some advice, so I have completed the build of my helmet. The face plate is seperate at this point.

The problem I am having is that when I put the helmet on it distorts, enough that the faceplate no longer aligns properly! I am wanting to coat the helmet in polyurethane resin when done.

Should I attach the faceplate, coat the whole thing and then cut it loose? Is it perhaps that my foam is too flimsy? I have been making it out of a camping mat, 6mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wish I had found this thread a long time ago. This is great data, I sure appreciate you putting it up. I'm learning about new products from Smooth-on just about every week. I'm convinced there is nothing I could ever need that they don't make.

Doc, Squid: thanks for the replies! :)

Should I attach the faceplate, coat the whole thing and then cut it loose?

I have wondered about this myself. right now my helmet is pretty aligned. However I think using a dremmel would take a steady hand to get it right. You could also break it loose using a #15 exacto blade

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back