Deconstructing Jayne's Bandolier

Mechamaniac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, so after reading about Mobiuscorpus's version of the Jayne bandolier, I decided to track down the parts, and see if I could make one myself.

For the time being, I'm not worried about the leather, for now, I am just trying to get the capewell harness working (and looking) the way it did in the film.

The capewell itself was easy enough to come by, but once I got it, I began to notice alot of cosmetic, and functional differences between mine, and the screen used prop.

First off, here's a pic of the prop...

jaynebando1.jpg

And here's the standard Capewell release...

ph_pararel1.jpg

Here's what I've been able to gather so far...
  • They added some sort of pin to the left side of the release, near the top (see pic)
  • They only used the Female end of the release
  • They have modified the round cable loop
It looks like they took the cable loop off, and re-secured it to the top of the release with a new piece of metal flashing, if you look at the propstore pic, you can see that the metal is of a different type than the rest of the release.

So I'm wondering how it is that they made a functional release out of just one end of the capewell. I figured I'd offer this up to any other RPF'ers out there who may be interested in making their own, and maybe we can figure out what they did.

There are also differences as to how the release was used in the film, but those screencaps are coming...

What pin are you talking about?

Also, it looks to me like they cut off part of the male piece and attached it to the top of the female piece (having cut off part of it I imagine as well).

The pin is located on the right side (as you look at it) of the top of the triangle (outer) piece of the harness.

The only part there is the female side of the harness, it's an optical illusion, but if you look closely, you can see the raised sides of the female release, and the groove underneath.

<div class='quotetop'>(Mechamaniac @ Oct 17 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]1339631[/snapback]</div>
I'm wondering how it is that they made a functional release out of just one end of the capewell. [/b]

I wouldn't assume it is functional.

thread necromancy.

anyway... i got my capewell release and will be starting on the bandolier soon.

my thoughts on the mods... rather than detaching the ring and attaching it to the outer piece, my thought was that a notch was cut out of the outer piece so that it could close while leaving the ring out.

as for how the gun attaches...

look at the size of the ring on the back of the mp5k. it's HUGE compared to what would normally be there. looks to me like it's an enlarged ring, meant to let it slip over the entire "flap" of the capewell release.

the gun would then catch down in the hinge part of it.

wow... that doesn't make much sense. here's a little drawing.

jaynebandolier.jpg

now my only question is what's the best way to make up the new ring for the mp5k.

Also, for anyone looking for them, the T-10 (MC-1) parachute harness has the capewell releases on them. I got mine on ebay, and there are a couple more on there now, for around $20.

Each harness will have 2 releases. If I don't trash one in the process of making this all work, I'll post up the other one in the junkyard at some point.

I feel like I'm just talking to myself here, but I'm sticking to it. :)

I got a TC-10 chute harness from eBay for $17, featuring 2 of these releases.

I effed up the first one, but the second worked out.

First the pics, then what I did...

normal__MG_0777.jpg

normal__MG_0782.jpg

normal__MG_0785.jpg

normal__MG_0784.jpg

The idea I posted above didn't really work out. I had to cut away a LOT of the front of the release in order for the ring to come through appropriately.

So on the second one, I cut the ring out entirely. If you compare this:

ph_pararel1.jpg

to mine, you'll see what i cut out. a bit of dremel time later, I reconnected the ring to the notched front of the release, and got things looking the way i wanted. i'm sorry this description is so lame, but i don't really know what any of the parts are called :(

i don't know what the little pin is supposed to be. this may not be totally accurate, but it looks good to my eye, and it's functional, so i'm happy.

i am going to re-make the ring at the butt of the gun though... mine is a bit too large.

Re: Deconstructing Jayne's Bandolier

Did you ever finish?

not yet, but i'm still working on it!

hopefully i'll have some updated pics soon. i've got the leather mostly done. got the gun mostly done. got the coptic cross. just need to get the ribbon.

the closest to a pic i have is this:

normal__MG_0994.JPG

but you can't actually see it at all.

oh, and for anyone who might be working on one... the ribbon is a WW2 british defence medal.

i just picked up a yard of the ribbon from an ebay seller. once i do mine, i'll post up and see if anyone else wants some of it.

Nice costume! You fit the part well.

A yard, eh? I might be interested.

Nice costume! You fit the part well.

A yard, eh? I might be interested.

thanks!

i'm working out more than usual to try to get rid of the love handles and beef up my arms a bit. i figure i've got a few months, that's plenty of time to get jacked ;)

well, once i get it i'm going to put up sections of it in the junkyard for $1 or so... just enough that i'm not spending money to mail them out :)

Looks great I have the same set up with the Jayne Arsenal and mobiuscorpus bandolier I picked up the ethiopean cross and ww2 ribben fairly easily on ebay. Typical of me though put it all together and decide to sell :)

Anyone know if the 'giant ring' is a found part? The little loop/knob where it conects to the gun doesn't look custom.

Looks great I have the same set up with the Jayne Arsenal and mobiuscorpus bandolier I picked up the ethiopean cross and ww2 ribben fairly easily on ebay. Typical of me though put it all together and decide to sell :)

you sold it, or are selling it? :eek

Anyone know if the 'giant ring' is a found part? The little loop/knob where it conects to the gun doesn't look custom.

i've been curious about that too. i haven't done that on mine since i don't have a welder, and am not confident in gluing something on. so for now, mine looks like this:

normal__MG_0777.jpg

i'm waiting on a straight magazine for it. i can't actually buy one in MA, so a guy in TX is getting it and cutting it down for me, so that i don't break any laws in my quest for the gun ;)

i'm not doing a great job in general on the mp5k, since i want to replace it with one that isn't all metal at some point soon. so i'm thinking of this as a temporary piece.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back