Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

I'm actually tired of all the grittiness in films these days. The constant doom and gloom. It's almost easier to just make cynical, dark, violent movies.

exactly. Why can't we just have fun movies anymore? That's why I'm glad Peabody and Sherman was just a fun 90 minute romp.

hell, if they made something like Inspector Gadget for today's audience, Penny's parents would probably be killed off in the first 10 seconds, Gadget would be maimed near death, and then there would be a brutal surgery scene showing how he got everything implanted to the gruesome detail. Then today's weird kids would be saying 'how much cooler' it was, because they made it more 'real' than that 'goofy' cartoon version that was just made to sell toys.

have fun with your grit and grim and seriousness folks. I'm bored with it too ;). Things where so much simpler in the 80s. No one cared about realism. No one cared about goofy. No one over analyzed things to death online. Any and EVERY idea flew no matter how stupid it was. If it was fun, people enjoyed it! Show about 5 inch blue creatures? GREAT! Wait a minute,that goofy idea was a success? Lets give them snouts and put them underwater! Sure, it's the same idea, but dumb kids won't know...it'll be a smash! Sigh....those where the days.

I'll take Spaceghost and Superfriends over The Walking Dead or The Bates Motel any day of the week ;o)..

#endrant ;o).

Last edited:
hell, if they made something like Inspector Gadget for today's audience, Penny's parents would probably be killed off in the first 10 seconds, Gadget would be maimed near death, and then there would be a brutal surgery scene showing how he got everything implanted to the gruesome detail. Then today's weird kids would be saying 'how much cooler' it was, because they made it more 'real' than that 'goofy' cartoon version that was just made to sell toys.
That movie allready exists, its called the new robocop movie :)

I honestly don't see WHY people think that things need to be dark and gritty these days to be 'cool'. Spongebob HAD a movie...it doesn't need to be PG-13 in order for kids or adults to like it. same goes for Turtles. I think the people who go for the 'gritty' argument are just folks who aren't fans of the property and just want to see it confirm to their standards in order for it to work for them.

hence why with these bay movies, we'll have a whole new generation of 'fans' who will bash any version of the property that isn't the 'true bay version'. They won't be fans of the turtles, they'll be fans of bay turtles.

Just once I'd like to see Hollywood do a straight on tv to movie adaption. Ideas in their original interpretation can work for any audience if the right person is behind it.

I would not get too worked up about it. Fans of the cartoons will hate this movie as much as the fans of the original books hated the cartoons.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

As a fan of the turtles since the Kate 80's I really wanted to love their new designs, I dident expect them to look exactly like their 1990 movie counterparts, but never expected them to be this far off, Mikey has a tattoo? Who in there right mind would give a 6ft turtle a tattoo?

I know Mikey is a party lover, the cute funny one, I don't need beads round His neck, a tattoo, hoodie tied round his waist to remind me of that each time I see him.

To top all this the origin has been messed with, what's so original story? Why does Saki now have to be Eric sachs? Why does splinter have to be April's dad?

Like I said, I really wanted to love this film and I'll probably enjoy when I see it, but right now it just feels like they have screwed with something that never needed screwing with.

yeah, but wasn't the original rather violent and rated R? Never saw it, but it seems like the reboot is staying true to the original at least ;o).

It did not. Not on any level.
The original had satire, comedy, depth and above all SOUL with a great soundtrack on top.

Is this TMNT?

View attachment 310753

View attachment 310754
Or is this?

I'm partial to the latter.
That image is the closing page of the first TMNT comic edition.

Yeah TMNT sold as a kids' cartoon.
They also made Star Wars cartoon stuff back in the day too. They even made a friggin' Rambo cartoon TV show in the 1980s. But I don't want to see SW or Rambo rebooted in that tone.

I actually agree that dark & gritty is overdone these days. But some franchises call for it more than others. I think TMNT calls for it. We're talking about animals mutated by toxic waste, living in a sewer, and honing their martial arts skills. They use swords and nunchucks. The bad guy is so covered in blades that he makes Darth Vader look cute.

Last edited:
If there's any movie I think should NOT be gritty and dark, it's TMNT. I am sick to death of the gritty and brooding fad. Every other movie does that. Let's have a change.
The turtles should be fun imo. That's what I want to see. I thought that would be right up Bay&Co's alley. But he still seems to have found other ways to mess that up, because it's never good enough for him to stick close to the source material. He deviates simply because he can.
I felt the first 2 live action TMNT movies got the balance just right. They were fun, but still darker than the cartoon. Those movies to me define what TMNT should be.

I agree the first TMNT movie in 1990 nailed the tone of it very well.

The second one had a slight Vanilla Ice problem, but I digress . . .

"Bay deviates simply because he can" <--- very true. The entire development of this Bay/TMNT project absolutely reeks of it.

The problem is party a product of all the remaking these days. Filmmakers were less prone to messing with the source material when they were voluntarily choosing to remake something. These days filmmakers are increasingly forced to do a remake any time they want to do a big summer show.

Sometimes all it takes to kill a movie is a minute and a half of footage.
/QUOTE]

Or that Leslie Neilson movie trailer where they parody Titanic's king of the world moment. That trailer was so horribly unfunny, and the movie followed suit....... I say you very well can judge how bad a movie will be by it's trailer...

Last edited:
Showing two examples of movies where the film was bad and the trailer was also bad does not make grounds for saying both are directly related. And such a ridiculous argument isnt worth a serious response. People will find significance in the most ridiculous things if it backs their argument. John carter was doomed cos it was a s#/t movie.

Thats why I only look at these threads once in a blue moon. Cos its the same people droning on about the same stuff. Know it alls who havent seen the movie. Who waste more energy on something they dont like then what they should.
Rather then the thread been specifically movie related its just an excuse for people to whine about directors or producers they dont like. Not that they arent movie related. But it goes so far its unreal.

Rant.... over....

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

_1397444333.jpg

_1397444339.jpg

_1397444347.jpg

I see Raphael is on the Barry Bonds diet...

Showing two examples of movies where the film was bad and the trailer was also bad does not make grounds for saying both are directly related. And such a ridiculous argument isnt worth a serious response. People will find significance in the most ridiculous things if it backs their argument. John carter was doomed cos it was a s#/t movie.

Thats why I only look at these threads once in a blue moon. Cos its the same people droning on about the same stuff. Know it alls who havent seen the movie. Who waste more energy on something they dont like then what they should.
Rather then the thread been specifically movie related its just an excuse for people to whine about directors or producers they dont like. Not that they arent movie related. But it goes so far its unreal.

Rant.... over....

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Would you like some sugar cubes for that high horse you're on?

I already replied to a rant like that before.....

I guess track records of people involved also mean nothing.

Fans of the property have revery right to bash what we've seen so far :).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back