Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by EyeofSauron, Mar 14, 2012.

1. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

2. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Doesn't seem to say if live action or animated.

Hmmm.. I'd rather an animated in some form or another. The costumes while pretty cool didn't allow very 'ninja like' movement.

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The last CG one was good and the old school animated one where they went to all the other Turtle franchises' universes was a fun one.

4. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

There's been rumors going around that it will be live action with actors in suits but with CGI faces.

5. ben reilly

ben reilly Member

Go ninja go ninja go!

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I hope that's not the case or they come up with an ingenious suit that allows more fluid movement. The people in the live action turtle suits just can't move like a ninja should be able to.

7. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

They are turtles lol

8. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

I think they moved just fine in the first movie. Hauling that hard shell around is bound to give limitations to movements and such. What they don't have in mobility they make up for in stamina, seeing as a shell can take quite a beating and not hurt them as much. They are just naturally armored.

You wouldn't expect a fully armored samurai to move like a Ninja, would you?

9. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. Samurai armor is very light compared to western armor. It doesn't restrict articulation and it is flexible.

10. suckface

suckface Active Member

it's just a film it's not real :) so does it really matter ? lol

I'm well up for the film to be live action without cgi faces, the first films suites and anamatronics where the best anyway out of the 3 live films so imagine how much more advanced the tech is now to improve on that without messing it up and looking too silly like pt 3

11. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe we'll finally get Bebop and Rocksteady this time around... none of that Tokka and Rahzar garbage. And how about Dimension X? And the Technodrome? Ohhhh, so much potential for extreme awesomeness...

12. Too Much Garlic

So, you are saying that someone, even with lightweight, flexible armor will be able to move as freely and agile as someone wearing NO armor? Sorry, don't buy that. They may be faster than Western armored people... but against a Ninja... fully armored... I can't see they'd be as fast. Maybe that's just me.

Silliness you mean? In the same vein as Tokka and Rahzar.

The first movie was good because it didn't include all that strange cartoony stuff. Sure Shredder looked like an 80's rock idol with that outfit and shoulder pads, but they still kept things more in the "real" realm.

13. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

As long as its dark like the Eastman and Laird comics and not hokey like the cartoon (I was raised on the cartoon but I like my turtles violent) then I'll be happy.

14. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Look as long as those turtles have realistic foreskin around their shell holes I'll be all over this...

15. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

What if they're Jewish?

16. Too Much Garlic

Snip Snip... fixed. Oh wait... glue glue...

17. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow... my son will be almost 3 years old by then. Talk about a whole new generation experiencing TMNT. I've been a fan since the cartoon debut in 1988 and still have all my action figures and playsets....

18. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

This sounds so terrible.

19. mcnopants13

mcnopants13 New Member

I believe a live action movie would be an overall exciting thing to experience again. however I am sure animated will more likely be the case. :(

20. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

December 2013...... that's uh, that's suicide.

21. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I hope it's a good mix of practical effects and CGI, kinda like what they did with Where the Wild Things Are. I'm sure if the effects people took the time, they could not only CGI the faces, but also tweak some of the suit stuff to make it look like real muscle.

Plus, I hope the fight choreographers do something with the turtle's fighting styles so the people in the suits will think of the shell not as a hindrance, but as an asset. Maybe make a one of two of their fighting styles more defensive or something.

22. Too Much Garlic

23. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Michael Bay talks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Video Dailymotion

Reposting what I recently posted elsewhere on FB.

Alien race? Since when are Turtles aliens?

"Kids will believe that these turtles actually do exist". This freaking worries me, hope they are not going heavy CGI for this. I want to see actors in muscle suits with more physical stunts than heavy CG in live action environment. I knew I won't have any real faith in the movie until a suitable director announcement was made. Then realized Jonathan Liebesman got attached last month to direct.

His previous credits.
    2006 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
    2009 The Killing Room
    2011 Battle: Los Angeles
    2012 Wrath of the Titans (to be released later this month)

Haven't seen any of his films, so I can't really speculate anymore.

24. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Welp, time to write this movie off. The funny thing is that if Bay isn't hated enough, once he more then likely ruins this movie, he'll probably have a bounty on his head.

25. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I was getting excited for this...until that load of drivel.

Michael Bay just a horrible person...

26. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

i was just about to post the whole "alien race" thing. i'm hoping that he's just talking about the source of the TCRI mutagen being of alien origin instead of the turtles.

...and changing the name to just NINJA TURTLES reeks of the old "next mutation" saban tv show.

i'll probably be there opening night, though... with a belly full of pizza and beer.

27. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

**** me.

Why hasn't anyone stopped Michael Bay yet?

28. EyeofSauron

the question is, why is he still getting jobs?

29. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

30. Too Much Garlic

Transformers made money, didn't it? Not as much as it would if it had been done right... but it made enough to have two sequels made... so enough for the studio number-crunchers to think it would be a good idea to keep betting on that idiot.

31. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I blame the people who shoveled that crap into their mouths and chewed it happily as much as the guy who squatted and made the pile of crap.

32. Too Much Garlic

Well... them too. They empower the idiot to go ruin more things.

33. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

You know, there's clearly a fine line between what makes money and what's a good idea.

I'd rather see a film made that doesn't make a huge profit that's done right than one that makes a huge profit and and is done horribly wrong.

Though if a film is done right, it stands to reason that it will make a profit.

34. Too Much Garlic

I assume that the general public plainly disagrees with you. They want stupid, violence and explosions and a plot that a 2-year-old could come up with. And that... equals Michael Bay!

35. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

yeah...you're probably right...

...and that just made me a little sad...

:behave

36. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

37. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I love Eastman as he's one of the original creators and he's doing a good job on the current ninja turtles reboot comic but ultimately, it seems like they're just getting ideas from him. If they want the turtles to be space aliens, have that absolutely stupid Venus di milo, have an evil corporate business man as their enemy and have them fly around in hovercraft, they will.

38. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

That's why I'll wait until this junk is out of theaters and I can get it from a street vendor.
    Michael Bay would get it if the fanboys wouldn't rush to see every steaming pile...
    I went to see TF3 in 3D and now I feel horrible...I need a hug. When I saw those recycled scenes from the Island on TF I was *.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  39. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Bay spits right in his audience's face since Transformers 2. T3 worsen the stuff. The guy just doesn't care about the moviegoers because his movies are still making money. So why bother changing ?
    As for me, I won't give him any of my money, ever. That way, I'll " chill down and relax ", as Mr Bay suggested. Seriously, I'm not a turtle fanboy but this guy needs to stop, quick.

40. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

This has "The Onion" written all over it, but no. It's legit. Freaking aliens, freaking space jockey suits, freaking "That's Brilliant!" writers. I will not support Michael Bay period.

41. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I have a ninja turtle tattooed on me leg so this is a knife in the heart lol

42. Too Much Garlic

Don't you mean... leg!?

43. seven

seven Sr Member

this comment is all over the place. When I see this movie, some random kids somewhere, some time in the far future will believe that [Ninja] turtles do exist (I guess in space?), at the same moment they are done with the movie? What?

I totally believed that the turtles could actually exist when I saw the original 90's film as a kid. No need to change them to Aliens to make it "believable". Secondly, MB does not make kid appropriate films.

This currently describes the TMNT characters now (minus the aliens part), this isn't some creative path MB discovered for these characters by making them aliens.

Fans can relax when they know that the film is being done right. To give the fans two pieces of the worst news one could give (1. MB is involved, and 2. the Ninja Turtles are now Aliens) then to say everything is under control sounds like an oxymoron. MB is not known for creating complex stories or characters. Reading the script isn't going to calm fans down. I don't see how making a change from Mutants to Aliens does anything for the plot other than to anger the fans. Unless they are doing a huge alien/space storyline, to do this is ridiculous. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

They should take the script and make Battletoads instead

Reminds me of this scene from Bolt (just replace "Bolt" with "Michael Bay")
    youtube Bolt Aliens

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  44. EyeofSauron

well im just gonna respond in pics to this from now on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

So, I started wondering why there seemed to be such backlash here when there wasn't anywhere near as much with Transformers 1, 2, 3, or however many other godforsaken entries they end up doing in that s**tfest of a franchise.

And it hit me:

Demographics.

Transformers is an 80s property, through and through. It first debuted in 1984, and was pretty much done with in its initial incarnation by about 1990/1991. The fans, therefore, are all in the 30s-40s age range.

But TMNT? Ah, that's a horse of a different color. That's a 90s property, and therefore the fans are much closer to the ultimate demographic of 18-25 year-old man-children. They're a bit older, but at the top end of that demographic bracket are people who are no doubt fans. And if you **** THEM off, in this case, your movie stands to suffer.

This is also different from, say, JJTrek where the fans are spread across a wide age range, but are generally regarded as subhuman creatures by the producers, or at least are simply expected (probably not without reason) to fall in line and shell out the cash -- multiple times -- just so they can see it, hate it, go see it again to try to convince themselves they love it, still hate it, rinse, repeat, and then complain about nacelle shapes on web boards. Then go buy the DVD/BR in the special collector's case.

No, in this case, Bay's usual attitude of "YOU WILL SHUT THE HELL UP AND WATCH WHATEVER I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!" (add a few expletives in there, wherever you please) just won't cut it. So, he has to reassure fans that "No, don't worry. It makes sense."

Sure. Because he has such a fantastic track record of being faithful to source material? Well kids, you may not have given a crap when it was your older brother's franchise that got run through the Bayifier, but now its YOUR cherished childhood memories that will be Bayed upon. Enjoy!

Side note: To be clear, I'm not really a huge fan of either Transformers or TMNT. I enjoyed both back in the day and see the potential for cool subsequent material based on that stuff, but I have no particular deeply felt love for either franchise. I do, however, have a deep and abiding antipathy for Michael Bay and anything he touches.

46. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

:behave
    Well played sir.....well played.

Hey, can someone photoshop a picture of the turtles with a ****load of explosions behind them? Also change the title to teenage alien explosion turtles. For you see I'm sure the only ninja thing about them in this new movie will be that they have bandanas over their eyes. Bay will probably have them use alien blasters.

He'll probably have Kate Upton playing April O'Neil the theoretical Partical physicist.

47. notaek

notaek New Member

I couldn't agree more about absolutely everything you said. MB might be able to pull of some interesting CGI but beyond that, his work lately feels like it is a movie trailer stretched out into full length...not much storytelling but a few neat effects along with the bad aftertaste of too much product placement. I attended Transformers 2 in the theater because my roommate wanted to go so bad but had no one to go with. He paid for my ticket and I still felt ripped off by the end of the movie. What was worse was a handful of fanboys gave it a standing ovation and clapped through the credits. I was completely baffled. Somewhere a month or two later while reading a review for District 9 someone wrote something along the lines of Michael Bay watching a movie like that, a movie that actually balanced deeper storytelling and unique special effects, and saying, "But where are all the Chevys?"

Transformers weren't a part of my childhood and I felt no loyalty to the original shows/comics/figures nor am aware of what wound up getting changed drastically in the films (though clearly the weak storylines alone were enough to **** me off about MB) but TMNT were my bread and butter for most of my youth. I watched the lighter cartoon, read the darker comics (at a younger age than I probably should have, lol, the cartoon made my mom thought the comics were appropriate too) and my initial anger about the 2003 reboot subsided enough for me to give it a chance on my Saturday mornings during college and felt it was the show TMNT deserved (until the FlashForward crap and all that...). Anyway, I just about dropped my phone yesterday with MB talking about making them aliens instead (TANT? WTF). It's one thing to turn it into a bad movie...I can probably handle that after seeing TMNT III, lol. But to screw with canon that much on top of that just makes my blood boil about the whole project. Rant over...I hope it wasn't too much...I was a bit distracted writing it over lunch, lol.

48. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

everyone, if your born in the 80's or 90's lets go to Bay's house and beat the living crap out of him wearing turtle costumes.

seriously, I live and breath the TMNT and I can't stand here and just take it when i see the one property i love and cherish potentially be destroyed. I have my limits, but i don't want bay and his production company changing everything to be edgy.

THANK GOD FOR THE 1ST ORIGINAL FILM. you can't take that away from! EVER!

49. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

I'll be there, then. :love

Dammit. :facepalm

50. theavengers2012

theavengers2012 Member

\new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie dec 2013

Just heard yesterday they would aliens and it would be live action with motion capture turtles and the movie is called ninja turtles as of right now. Now i don't mind the motion capture because they will be able to move around easy and actually fight like a ninja, but one thing i don't get is that people are getting worked up over the aliens are the turtles. Well they are working one of the creators of tmnt characters.