Operation Hennessey binoculars (Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
So I had Life Aquatic on while I was working on some stuff. I saw this and took a snap since I'm too lazy for proper screencap. In a quick search I offhand didn't see it mentioned.

So this kids electronic submarine game is not only a popular item to be retrofitted into stormtrooper electrobinoculars they can now be collected by Zissou fans. Also seen here in this link: http://www.therpf.com/f9/electrobinoculars-made-radica-game-45556/

Shown here used by Operation Hennessey in their research...or more specifically to look at Klaus to see why he is hollering.

henesseyproject.jpg

Last edited:
This is the RADICA TANK ASSAULT ELECTRONIC HANDHELD GAME. Many can be found on eBay, Craig's list and Amazon. Of course this has been painted white and technical lights added (from the screen grabs looks like a yellow light, possibly a string of blue led's, a red light, a rather easy control knob and a lens gizmo)...I am not a prop maker by any stretch but this looks fairly easy to crack one out...

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPGSlide3.JPGSlide4.JPGSlide5.JPG

Haw are these? My son's favorite movie - I finally watched it - Looks like some lighyt bars on the top or are those just hat lights that look like bars because of motion blur?

So any thoughts on the lights & that lens & that electrical connector on the front? Also I spy some thing black sticking up around the right eyepiece.

IMG_3349.JPGIMG_3347.JPGIMG_3346.JPGIMG_3345.JPGIMG_3344.JPGIMG_3348.JPGIMG_3350.JPG

Finally Finished My Son's Christmas Present!

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 117
Oh my goodness. I've had the sub battle gadget for a long time with this exact plan in mind, right down to the view of Willem Dafoe in the viewfinder! What did you end up using for the parts, if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to get started on mine now. This is just great. Congrats on a great project! :)

I'll add a follow-up. I *think* the electrical connector thingy on the front in the movie version might actually be a rotary encoder. I haven't found the exact model, but if you search for rotary encoders there are a number that look similar. 6mm shaft seems to be common and eyeballing it looks about right.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back