Harry Potter Wedding Group Costumes WIP

JJ9437

For the last movie and D*Con my friends and I are doing the wedding attire from Deathly Hallows. We did the Yule Ball costumes last year so this seemed to be the natural progression and I am really excited to get this all together.

I am currently working on Hermione's red dress. It's not as complicated (thank god!) as the Yule Ball gown but I'm trying hard not to say it is easy until I actually cut into the fabric.

00crgkeq

The whole dress is crinkled silk chiffon overlayed on another fabric in a deep fire engine red. I managed to get ahold of the screen accurate shoes from the movie but the auction had been mismarked and they are 2 sizes too small. I can still get them on my feet but they aren't that comfortable. I was able to find some in my size but when they got to me they were the wrong color so I'm going to try to see if there is a way to dye them to the right color.

Here are the screen accurate ones:

164499_943661881987_12634911_48406642_453316_n.jpg

I got the necklace from the Noble Collection. It's beautiful but I still can't believe how much they are charging for it!

180893_949787341517_12634911_48514474_171078_n.jpg

And then my beaded bag. I was going to get the Noble Collection one but it wouldn't have shipped in the time I needed it so I had to make it myself. I didn't think it would take a long time but omg it took forever! Nearly a month and it's still not completed! It's made of all silk and velvet and hand beaded and embrodiered. I'm happy with how it turned out. I need to add more beading but it's something I'm quite proud of.

196777_971419530437_12634911_48850158_6889515_n.jpg

So after getting all the accessories sorted out (yeah I'm kinda working backwards lol) I am finally ready to work on my dress. I bought 8 yards of crinkled silk chiffon and used the shoe as a reference color. I soaked the fabric in a heavily concentration of dye for several hours to get it this red but it's the perfect color! I'm so happy with how it turned out!

Note: The flash on my camera is making the red a little brighter than it actually is.

IMG_5651.jpg

So next step is drafting the patterns and get to sewing! I will try to keep my progress updated as I go. :-D

Last edited:
:eek damn, girl, you have the shoes! did you just find them on ebay? i found some white, dyeable shoes that are close (no bow...) that i'm thinking of getting... but i might hold off to see if they pop up again in auction....

also, would it be too much to bother you for measurements on the necklace? i'm not keen on the NC prices for it and think i might make my own (i got her bag as a late christmas present, though, so i'm glad i don't have to make that!). i found some great close-ups of the necklace, but it's hard to gauge the wire/chain gauges (that was bad. i apologize...) and chain lengths. :D

can't wait to see your finished product! is someone in your group doing fleur's gown!? THAT is ambition if you're wearing them all for D*C and i've been itching for ideas on how to do those black feathers....

Yes, I found the pair on eBay. They have been a huge pain though. I've actually bought 3 pairs now trying to get the right size/color because auctions have been mismarked so just be careful when ordering them. Depending on your size, I might be selling a pair soon so I will let you know.

I can sure do that for you! I am on vacation now but I can get those measurements for you later this week. And do you currently have her bag in hand?! I really wanted to get pictures of it to compare it to the one I made. I didn't have alot of reference pictures to go on so I kind of had to wing alot of it but I'd love to see how close I got with it.

Yeah, the Fleur gown is turning out to be very complicated for her. I knew it would be though. It just a complicated dress, but soooo pretty.

I do have the bag. :D I was going to make ginny's dress for the premier (i'm currnently a redhead), but got the bag in the mail and decided since i have hermione's wand and bag, i have to make her red dress ensemble now. I'll take pics of the bag here in a couple of days for you. Yours is fantastic for what you've had to work with. The main difference i notice is the replica has a pale, dusty blue velvet in it as well.

i was thinking i might start with this pattern - Womens and Petite Cocktail Dress Sewing Pattern 4070 Simplicity the princess seams are in the right spot, which is most what i'm concerned about - i don't have a lot of experience pattern drafting from scratch. lots needs to be changed - neckline, waistline, every detail etc etc etc. with more tweaking, could work for ginny's dress, too. :)

Well my bag has an iridescent fabric in it that you can't see because I didn't take it with a flash, but it has blue in it. I really hope I got mine at least close!

It has taken me a while but I've finally settled on the patterns I'm going to be using for my dress.

For the bodice I'm going with McCalls pattern. I cannot remember the number, but I'm posting a picture of it. It has the correct neckline, though it will be slightly modified and also has the right princess seams. What needs to be modified is the back, it needs to be lowered and opened more.

For the skirt part I'm going to use the same pattern and modify the skirt to work.

Finally, for the ruffles I'm going to be using Simplicity 2639. I'm going to use the ruffle as a base but it will most likely be modified a bit.

so i just moved and thus buried my hermione bag. i'll get it dug out this next week and get pics for you!

Can't wait to see this done! Eventually I'll get to Harry's wedding Dress Robes, though I don't know when. This is going to look amazing!

ahh, there you go then. saves me some digging! did you, though, have problems with the tassel strings falling out? i've lost about 4 (still have them, but not attached) so i have to figure out a way to secure them better.

Not yet...but I've only handled it two times. When I was putting it back in the black protective bag after taking pictures, a bead had fallen off already. A sign of more to come, I imagine.

Hope you don't mind, I have the NC Hermione bag handy for picture taking. Hope these help.

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

Thank you so much for these reference shots, it really helps! I'm surprised I actually got my bag so close with the little reference pics I had.

I'm really upset to hear about how they are falling apart though. Having been so much money I would expect it to be more sturdy.

Long update on my dress. I've kind of taken my time making it because I've been knitting one of Hermione's Sweaters from Deathly Hallows, but I am getting stuff done now.

First thing I learned is how much silk this dress takes. I have gone through 16 yards of silk and it's STILL not enough. I need another 4 yards at least. I can't believe such a short dress takes up so much fabric. And I am using it all. No scraps basically.

I have everything cut out though that has to be cut out. The top is mostly constructed now, I am working on adding the shoulder decor now.

I also am halfway finished sewing the ruffles on the cumberbun. I still have to make the flower for it too.

Also have all 15 of my ruffles cut out. It took a couple of tests but I think I finally got them looking the way they need to be. :)

I still have to order my sequins too. Lots to do before the movie!

Oooooh, I love her red dress! :love
You found a great fabric for it, the color and texture looks perfect.

A-Harry-Potter-Wedding-Dres%281%29.jpg

I'd love to see your friends' version of Fleur's wedding gown.
(On the right is an Alexander McQueen dress that looks very similar...)

Hope to see pictures of your finished dress and the whole group!

dang girl, 16 yards!? i only ordered 4 (and 4 satin for the base layer). mine will just be less poofy, perhaps. i also won't have time to bead before the premiere, but then i can spend time on it and bead it well not under pressure. people won't notice. :p

also, can you post/send me a pic of your necklace with a ruler by it? i need to get hat made too, but am unsure of the gem stone sizes. thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back