superman returns prototype crystal - proto2 in!!!!!!

i am re-capping the movie over the weekend.

the best scenes for the crystals look is the fortress scene where he takes it out of the pedestal, and inserts it into another section of it. the only other scene that shows some good detail is the "dremel" scene and the "wave it around while yelling at lois" ones.

the original pics i had looked a little bit goofy/off. i am going to cap with a diff program this time.

the look i am going for is the nice big clear pic of luthor holding it from the trailer/official site. more facets, little narrower profile.

with what the prototypes run, trust me, this will be planned out before i send out for a new one :lol

chris

its on its way now :D

hopefully it will be in the states soon, and will be at my house either tommorow or maybe monday :D

chris

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Aug 12 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]1299094[/snapback]</div>
That's cool - but before we all freak out, I contribute my thoughts:

Ok, the thing is big - I would take 2-3 sides off, so that we got more sides. The large sides also are a bit too broad. 2-5 mm off should work.

Even better would be to review the photo shot from the pointed side, so we figure out, how many and how broad they are.

The facets, we need more smaller facets and some more larger ones looking at the real prop, it seems that they do have them at the lower end of the larger ones. In an "irregular" pattern, if you know what I mean. And the shape has to be more weighted to one overall crystal side.

The tips should be cut too, since the proto got them straight from the larger facets.

[/b]

I agree, i was hesitant to say anything (as i am in no way an expert on these matters) except that the prototype (while gorgeous in it's own right) seemed a 'fat' and not as complex (facets-wise) as i had remembered it. I know it's a slippery slope ... looking forward to future iterations

yea, its a chubby wubby little crystal. ;)

its also made it to LA... (the city, not the state)

it should be in my hands monday at the earliest :D

chris

You really can't wait Chris huh ;)?
I'm more relaxed than you and I'm living farer away from you - I know, that's gonna be great, if we all contribute our part into it...

So, take a deep breath and just relax... relax... everything will be damn fine :D

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Tracking history Help
Date and Time Status Location
8/20/2006 9:57 pm Transit through sort facility. Baton Rouge, LA
12:10 pm Transit through sort facility. Wilmington, OH
8/19/2006 4:50 pm Clearance processing complete. Los Angeles, CA
4:50 pm Arrived at DHL facility. Los Angeles, CA
3:41 pm Temporary delay in transit East China Area, China
5:51 am In transit. East China Area, China
4:04 am Arrived at DHL facility. East China Area, China
8/18/2006 11:08 pm Departing origin. Hangzhou, China
8:00 pm Picked Up by DHL.
[/b]

:D

and no, i am pretty jazzed about this. its not only the crystal, but the sample color pieces they sent as well. its been killing me to not know what the green/blue/red and black ones look like.

i should have it in hand in about 12 hours :)

chris

Nice... WAY too fat though. needs to be thinner...

I like it a lot. Make it a lot thinner and I am in...

Ill give you $25 for the proto though....lol :p

the "new" size seems to be around 9 3/4" by 1.5". im going to do some testing first before i get an official "size" done.

and.... i gotta pass on the 25$ ;)

also, a neat fact i just discovered. the crystal is not 2 lbs like i thought before.

its actually 1 lb 12 oz :)

man i love this thing :D

chris

small update in first post. looking for a 3DS programmer to help out on this one. i havent played with it in about 10 years so i am more than a little lost.

thanks.
chris

chris... i too am willing to spot some doh for the prototype only say the word. i think w/the other thread going, you're really close.

apprecaite it :)

im not taking deposits on the crystal run for a bit though. bounced into a "yay" and "crap" snag. according to the factory the best results we can get is with our own dwf or dxg or dsomething file that i recognized as autocad. only problem is i am about 12 years out of date with autocad, so making a 3d model of this crystal is pretty much not going to happen by my hand.

if anyone has some autocad experiance and is willing to take a shot at it, i (and several others on the board) would greatly appreciate any help that we get :)

chris

sent an email to a buddy, not sure if he's fluent w/autocad or not.

really don't want to see this die here

:cry

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Aug 23 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]1305589[/snapback]</div>
apprecaite it :)

im not taking deposits on the crystal run for a bit though. bounced into a "yay" and "crap" snag. according to the factory the best results we can get is with our own dwf or dxg or dsomething file that i recognized as autocad. only problem is i am about 12 years out of date with autocad, so making a 3d model of this crystal is pretty much not going to happen by my hand.

if anyone has some autocad experiance and is willing to take a shot at it, i (and several others on the board) would greatly appreciate any help that we get :)

chris
[/b]

I can help out with the CAD design if you still need.
3D surfaced or solid modeled - whatever works best,
and it can be a dwg, dxf, igs, step, or any other 3D
generic format that you'd need.

PM me on it if I can help.

JS :)

crystalab6.jpg

5 minutes just messing around with it a bit.

JS

Looking at the photo w/ Keven holding it in the film... I think of saber diameters.
and how much an 1/8 differance makes.
So i'm holding up differant sabers in the same way he is holding the crystal. and the diam. i'm comming
up w/ is 1 1/4 x 8" long.
If you're doing a 1 1/2 hold a graflex in your fingers, it seems big to me. But try it w/ a Obi epi 1/2 or
MR Dooku. & the size looks right ?? my .02 hope it helps.

<div class='quotetop'>(JSAuctionService @ Aug 23 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]1305656[/snapback]</div>
crystalab6.jpg

5 minutes just messing around with it a bit.

JS [/b]

ooo green me want.
homage to the original geometry with a little superman returns bling.. save this drawing for a rainy day.

ps...hydin
the side view pics of your prototype crystal look fantastic.

pm sent. :)

thanks for the compliments on my crystal. im hoping the next one (prototype) is going to be dead on to what it needs to look like, and then we can kick this run off.

chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back