How much time is TOO much time to put into making it perfect?

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Okay, I been working on these three Vipers in front
Viperassembleyline003.jpg

for what seems like months (really only one), and every time I seem to be getting close to finishing, I spot stuff that needs more work!
Is there a point where you cut loose & say 'whatever', or do you obsess over every little perceptible detail for months?:eek
Or is there a middle ground?

Oh hey, I see another speck of styrene I need to shave off!!!
:lol

I hear ya man. I was 85% of the way through a project, decided I didn't like how it was turning out, scrapped it, and completely started over. :wacko

I hear ya man. I was 85% of the way through a project, decided I didn't like how it was turning out, scrapped it, and completely started over. :wacko
Yeah, I feel like that on everything I do. Other peeps like my stuff, but all I see is seam traces, paint bulges & general bilateral asymmetry. :lol

No, really, I like my work, but I always feel that if I doubled or tripled my time on any given piece it might be better. Or it might be over-worked. My Wife says to just finish & not freak out over it.
Pick a date & be done.

Then I think back to actual pencil lines on the Galactica studio model...:love:cool

I know too many who cling to the idea of making things perfect. Which I consider an excuse to find ways to avoid finishing a project. Or never starting a project.

Either way you'll never get that model perfect no matter how much time you put into it. Making models perfect is already a false assumption, since the studio models they were based on were no where near people's perception of perfection.

Making models perfect is already a false assumption, since the studio models they were based on were no where near people's perception of perfection.
VERY good point!:cool

But then, are WE modeling peeps striving for MORE than the original artists achieved??

Last edited:
I know too many who cling to the idea of making things perfect. Which I consider an excuse to find ways to avoid finishing a project. Or never starting a project.

Either way you'll never get that model perfect no matter how much time you put into it. Making models perfect is already a false assumption, since the studio models they were based on were no where near people's perception of perfection.

Every time you beat me to it Max. Well said. Good enough for camera? Then move on. There's more to do and build.

Stevev

>>>clip<<<
No, really, I like my work, but I always feel that if I doubled or tripled my time on any given piece it might be better. Or it might be over-worked. My Wife says to just finish & not freak out over it.
Pick a date & be done.

Then I think back to actual pencil lines on the Galactica studio model...

Can you say OCD? We all have it!

Nay, it's because we know the item we are making too intimately. Whether we're making a replica or some original creation, we know where every little bobble is, no matter how tiny it is or how insignificant it "really" is and they become magnified in our perception. I doubt the maker/creator of anything can ever see it as perfect, even when it is obvious that all who behold it thinks it is.

Shylaah

Classic!

If it's not right it won't fix itself - and it will bug you, whispering to you as you walk by, trying to catch your eye while you work on something else, with a wimpering, pathetic, 'Why aren't I perfect?'
Seriously - it depends if you're happy to say to yourself, 'that will do.'
You can tinker and tinker with stuff for the rest of your life - I know there are times when I've gone too far and made something even worse! LOL.

:) Yeah, me too.
The voices - oh the voices!
The one's put in boxes in the loft are the worst, waking me in the night with their screams of 'Sand and repaint! Sand and repaint , causing visitors to look to the ceiling during the day...'What was that? 'Stand and repent?'
Damn models!

I have been modeling like so many of us since I was a wee lad and back then a little glue smeared here and there was just the way it was. Over the years my modeling skills impoved naturally but there indeed came a point when working on a model that I realized that an obsession came into play over quality and detail. One case in point is the new Mobeus Galactica that I just completed.....again with shoepolish weathering.....that I may do more of......with that new decal set.
I will use this model to make my point as when I show it around the reaction I get is WOW how did you do that?...It looks amazing!...The same goes for the Viper that I did a build on after pouring over hours of material on the internet and in both cases I feel as if they are not finished and in my heart and mind I can see the imperfections in them.
That being said my father in law is an exceptional craftsman when it comes to woodworking. He is incredible and when I walk into his workshop you will be amazed at what is laying around there. Tools, completed pieces that are beautiful in their craftsmanship and other such things. When he walks into my workshop full of sci fi models and such he just rolls his eyes and says .......Science Fiction stuff.......Toys.......BUT!!!
We are alike in so many ways as he experiences the same thing. He can finish a cabinet and make apologies for the defects when you can't see any and he only knows what he is talking about. He will finish, set aside, and the redo a chair because he said that it is not right. The same goes for my modeling.
You get to a point where you only know what the problems are, where the defects are and what need to be done. If you keep trying to fix what is not broken you will mess up and be worse off thatn when you started. You can detail something to death and still not be happy with it.
Hope some of this helps.

If your quest for perfection is keeping you from building new things, then you're spending too much time on it.
Otherwise, sand and repaint to your heart's content!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back