X wings were not white!!!!

I am going to have a cup of tea, gather my thoughts, and probably write my post in MS word. :confused

General question to all that paint models...

If you get 2 pots of equal amounts of paint, one white & one medium grey

If you mix 1/4 of the grey into 3/4 of the white, do you class that as an off white?

If you mix 3/4 of the white in to 1/4 of the grey do you class that as an off grey?

Neither are stock white nor grey anymore but I think most would call them white.

If you buy a stock grey off the shelf, what is its primary colour in the factory...White!

So if you buy a medium grey off the shel the chances are the colours this is made up from as a percentage white has the highest percentage. So you could class it as an off white of kinds.

With the colour of the original falcon is it possible that that there was one particular coat that was the most obvious (pre weathering)? Is it possible that this colour had a higher percentage of white in it than any other colour?

I'm not saying it was painted white, far from it but people do tend to create colours using white as a blank canvas, if I spray a panel pure white, then mist over it with a home mixed grey or other colour & it achieves the same look as the original then surely the look is all that matters.

If we want to Forge the original them we would expect to have every layer the same & then aged as a final touch. Sometimes we are graced with with visual damage & can see the different layers of paint.

All in all my point being if we want a replica, its the final look that counts not the incorrect or correct colours that went into it. If we want a forgery then its a hole different ball game & one that takes close inspection as a must to achieve.

I dont read all the posts or threads here but I don't recall anyone person ever claiming perfection as a replica or forgery. How far do we take the forgery angle also....what pen or pencil was used to sign the ILM crew members names? If a HB pencil was used but the forgery used a 2B then is this now a replica not a forgery.

Everyone's standards are different Steve, it sounds like you have the closest thing to a Forgery in your possession & I for one would love to see it in the flesh almost as much as ILM version. I love painting & I love people that have an equal or greater passion for it. More ref would be amazing & even more amazing would be examples of colours used & why so people can better understand the logic.

One thing I always regretted was not using a colour the same as the vintage resin used on some of the ILM models, I missed that trick on my MR Snowspeeder repaint but at the same time I would never claim mine to be better or worse than anyone else's due to this fact. I've seen the Tie Int up close, like maybe 3 inches away. If everyone used the ref pics out there to paint it then know one would come near the real colour, but at the same they are close & all look fantastic.

"Last mouth full of Wheeties"

It would be an honour to have you go through your painting technique on any of your builds, Factory pieces, scratch builds, GK's, Airfix, Tamiya or other models. The more knowledge out there the better for all of us. I have read your falcon thread many times a while back & I think it was all taken in but to have you go through it with a fine tooth comb would be amazing. So please try & make the time as it would be the most amazing way to back up your first post in this thread.

Just out of interest, I once had to replicate the original colour of a 1957 Strat that had been damaged & re finished by the original owner. I was asked to put it back to the factory finish & repair it by his wife for his 60th birthday present. No only did I find out that the colour the guitar was when he bought it wasn't a factory colour, I also found out it wasn't even factory undercoat.

She handed me a pink (what they call Salmon pink) guitar, I handed her a white guitar back. It turned out that over 40% of the first batch of starts that came into the UK where custom painted by a Luthier as the colours where deemed boring or unsellable. I used an original paint swatch from under the scratch plate & had it replicated by FC Morrell's in Stockport, I learnt then to take the sample from the underside of the paint as this is its truest colour & has less sign of ageing.

The customer was very happy, I never told him that I didn't use cellulose paint though as it was illegal to spray it in the UK at the time.

And the point of this, I dunno!!! but it felt nice telling it :lol

So for giggles, what is the opinion on Red Leader? White....or grey? I will always say white till i see the prop, or better ref, which would be VERY hard, seeing as the prop, is in tatters AFAIK?

lee

I know, but the difference is your adding to white or your adding to Grey, generally as a rule you add to the colour you want it to be.

ie: Lightning the Grey or Darkening the white.

Thats why the ratio is the same, the point is about the colour you start with & want to end up with & what its called.

It makes sense in my head :lol

A grey ish White or a white ish Grey, very important to a label but are basically the same thing.

So when someone paints there Falcon white, if pre mixes haven't been mentioned or its not as white as Snow whites eyeballs then it could look Grey.

But they said they used White!!!!!

I'm having a rant, just skip this :lol

You have to go to the Archives for that one mate, not screen used so not really sure if its an ILM thing or not. It could be fan built or something but if its not 6 foot then maybe its taken orally so "could be"?

Deep Deep in the bowls of ILm though!

Hmm, going off topic, i do need the correct paint for the Probe Droid, so maybe the magic eight ball, could shed some light there, i DO need the help afterall.

Oh, and the Rebel Transport too, and the Cloud Car, was it really orange, or, off grey with a lot of lighting trickery?

lee

I think the tick marks on Blue 1 are probably Letraset, yeah... same with the Falcon - some look too precise. Maybe the dots in the "i" or periods... I'll be using my decals, which incidentally ship in 16 days!

Thanks Jason, I was worried they wouldn't be with you in time.

Lee, I think we both know the cloud car's are pink & peach in colour or off Pinch as I call it.

As for the PD I've seen that Fecka up close & still dont know what colour it is, was, had been. But I'm painting mine off Black with some dabs of Mint.

The Transport didn't really exist either so dont know where your coming from with that. It was just a toy wasn't it "Kenner" or something like that!

Jason, I sent you an e-mail about buying a set of your groovy decals. Didn't hear back. I guess if you don't want my money...

Also, we talked about this while STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM and agreed that the X and Y wings and Falcon were DEFINITELY NOT white.

NOW, you stab me in the back?

AND throw me under a bus?

WHITE???

WHITE???

Et Tu, Jason? :lol

I want to post pics and more helpful info, but after I started these posts this morning, I realized... CRAP. I have a bunch of stuff to ship out today.

I will try to get more posted laters. For now, my nefarious plan has worked to perfection. Everyone is in a froth.

Panties are definitely in a bunch.

I played you all like Ermine violins!

MUHAHAHA!!!!

Who can help me post some high-rez pics? I just don't do that. I am generally not a "HEY LOOK WHAT I MADE!" kinda guy, even though, I have about 80 spaceship models in the collection. (Yah, I just counted them...)

I need to get a life...

Let's see if we can accurize some of this stuff and get it RIGHT for a change. Cool?

TOGETHER, we can make a difference!

Carry on with the aggravation and taunts. I am rubber, you are glue... :lol

I have to go mail out ray guns 'N junk.

More later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh...I missed the point that you were making Guy. I see it now...

I'm not sure I even had one :lol

Glad you got there though as it was hard to pace up & down (in thought) & type that at the same time :lol

Steve's seen the Movie & we've only seen the trailer, I can understand this must be frustrating for him especially as a forum that keeps re creating the Movie without seeing it.

Some dont do too bad though, considering & I cant recall anyone claiming to be Speilberg here :cool

Is this guy, like, the Messiah, or a very naughty boy? In any case, i cant wait to begin my training, and to think, we were ALL doing it wrong for all these years, thanks Steve, you are the man.....wait, how do we pay for such kindness, is there a Paypal fund, or some kind of cult you need donations for?

lee

Jason, I sent you an e-mail about buying a set of your groovy decals. Didn't hear back. I guess if you don't want my money...

Also, we talked about this while STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM and agreed that the X and Y wings and Falcon were DEFINITELY NOT white.

NOW, you stab me in the back?

AND throw me under a bus?

WHITE???

WHITE???

Et Tu, Jason? :lol

I want to post pics and more helpful info, but after I started these posts this morning, I realized... CRAP. I have a bunch of stuff to ship out today.

I will try to get more posted laters. For now, my nefarious plan has worked to perfection. Everyone is in a froth.

Panties are definitely in a bunch.

I played you all like Ermine violins!

MUHAHAHA!!!!

Who can help me post some high-rez pics? I just don't do that. I am generally not a "HEY LOOK WHAT I MADE!" kinda guy, even though, I have about 80 spaceship models in the collection. (Yah, I just counted them...)

I need to get a life...

Let's see if we can accurize some of this stuff and get it RIGHT for a change. Cool?

TOGETHER, we can make a difference!

Carry on with the aggravation and taunts. I am rubber, you are glue... :lol

I have to go mail out ray guns 'N junk.

More later.

Rubber, Glue, sounds like my kinda party. Steve go and do your stuff with Ray's gun & dont lend stuff from him again if you cant return them at the time of borrowing. Then lets get you sat with a nice cup of Tea & see if we can squeeze some of that stuff you want to share out. Again sounds like a party sorry. Well an Off Party at least :lol

This whole Falcon colour thing has been a bit of a grey area for too long now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, lol, meant to add, cant say my panties are in any kind of bunch, although they do ride up in the crotch now and then, damn thongs.
Iam however, treating you with a sense of ridicule Steve, as your post/thread, is pretty insulting to many of the guys here, who have been getting things WRONG for all this time.

lee

Franz, Steve could be right on the money, some of the props we thought to be white, in fact werent.
The weather process ILM used would appear grey anyway for most cases.

Take the ATAT driver armor, its grey, not white, so cool, Jez proved that with hard facts.

Its hard facts we want here, not trolling posts to light fires, lets hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I want hard facts, before ill bow down, yes i agree some Y's and X wings were maybe an off white, or a light grey, but lets see the definitive proof of this, maybe before weather coats were applied?

Steve, you DO have pics of pre weathered birds dont you? Im sure you do, otherwise, this thread is just that, a troll, to envoke a negative response for your amusement, and you wouldnt do that im sure.

I await, with much baited breath.

Oh for the record, i cant find a single thread, telling us the Falcon in any guise, was white....so, why the need to tell us she wasnt? I thought the color of that bird was long known?

The red Jammer Y wing too, can you explain that, its a Y wing, that is, or does appear fully white, at least in the nacelle/cockpit region? Jason maybe could shed light on that as i know he's seen her in the flesh.

lee

(Predicts this is going to be a RPF 2011 Best Thread winner.)

Ooh Ooh Ooh Mr. Kotter,
Can we ask OP unrelated archive questions via PM?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back