MODIFY Back to the Future DeLorean 1:15

tek2graphics

Sr Member
Hello All!
I would like to know if anyone had already taken of these apart and made it accurate? I have 2 of them and I would really love to work on it but I'm afraid that I would damage the electronics!

I plan to "fix" the BTTF1 DeLorean by:
1) making the side mirrors from scratch (they are too large & boxy)
2) removing the plastic cables (have them look real & end up in up inside the engine compartment)
3) detailing the interior
4) rebuild the engine area
5) and a few other things

Any help on how to take it apart without damaging the electronics would be great!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
When I got mine last year, I had the same idea but due to other work commitments, I got as far as opening it up and that's about it. Put a few feelers out there and not many folks are interested in a modified DeLorean or its electronics kits.

DeLorean+027.jpg

So, its going to stay in one KIV corner for a while or until I can get a flying DeLorean which keeps eluding me.

Here was my progress:
http://www.chowfookcheong.com/DeLorean I/Delorean I 002.htm

Oh Cool!!:love
Well, i'm probably not inteersted in adding more lights.. I just want to make the CAR accurate... Would there be any broblems cutting the wires and hooking them back together? I obviously don't know much about electronics.:rolleyes

Well, what you're seeing is actually the car's lights and sound controller board. My idea at that time was:

1) Make additional sound boards for when the gull-wing doors are opened, plus additional light in the doors.

2) Redo the front headlamps with warm-white LEDs, orange indicators and read LEDs.

3) Redo the Flux capacitor with Fibre-optics

4) Redo the dashboard with better LEDs

5) Recast the roof panels with transparent resin to light it up.

6) Install a radio remote for two options; one to replace the button on the car, and two just to light up the headlights.

Well, that was my plan but now, its shelved as I had more project coming and also an Electronics class for the local modellers this year.

But if you need to play with the electronics, just label them on both side of the wires that will be cut. Make sure the labels don't come off and you won't go wrong. Be gentle as you work, treating the wires as its part of a live bomb :lol

Well, what you're seeing is actually the car's lights and sound controller board. My idea at that time was:

1) Make additional sound boards for when the gull-wing doors are opened, plus additional light in the doors.

2) Redo the front headlamps with warm-white LEDs, orange indicators and read LEDs.

3) Redo the Flux capacitor with Fibre-optics

4) Redo the dashboard with better LEDs

5) Recast the roof panels with transparent resin to light it up.

6) Install a radio remote for two options; one to replace the button on the car, and two just to light up the headlights.

Well, that was my plan but now, its shelved as I had more project coming and also an Electronics class for the local modellers this year.

But if you need to play with the electronics, just label them on both side of the wires that will be cut. Make sure the labels don't come off and you won't go wrong. Be gentle as you work, treating the wires as its part of a live bomb :lol

thats great! thanks for advice!! Gonna do it!

I'm looking forward to seeing some progress. :)

I myself took a Part 1 DeLorean apart and repainted it to make it look a bit more accurate.

I would recommend you pick up a label set from Stickerfixer.com so you can add the DMC logo and all of the other labels that were on the screen used car.

I'm looking forward to seeing some progress. :)

I myself took a Part 1 DeLorean apart and repainted it to make it look a bit more accurate.

I would recommend you pick up a label set from Stickerfixer.com so you can add the DMC logo and all of the other labels that were on the screen used car.

I saw their website... i wasn't sure how they look in person. If you have used them, can you please post pics?

When I got mine last year, I had the same idea but due to other work commitments, I got as far as opening it up and that's about it. Put a few feelers out there and not many folks are interested in a modified DeLorean or its electronics kits.

DeLorean+027.jpg

So, its going to stay in one KIV corner for a while or until I can get a flying DeLorean which keeps eluding me.

Here was my progress:
http://www.chowfookcheong.com/DeLorean I/Delorean I 002.htm
You might get more people interested if it looked more like this:
modify-back-future-delorean-1-15-chip.jpg-44378d1296736941

HOW TO MODIFY Back to the Future DeLorean 1:15 (LOTS OF PICS!!!)

OK, After thinking about it for a day, I decided... "What the heck"!
Were snowed in and I have some time! Without cutting any wires! So I started to disassemble the DeLorean today....:love
Ill try to comment on how I did it. (Note, this is how I did it... I'm not responsible for damage to your own :angel) Also,

After you take the screw off on bottom, you have to widen the sides of the body to slip out of the chasis. (similar to the Aoshima 1/24 scale)

Another view from back.

To remove the dash, 1st I had to pull off the hot glue from here.

I removed the seats by pulling them forward. (Manuf used strong glue!)

Next, remove the 4 screws to remove the interior.

Here you can see the cable running under the interior.

Flip the dash over and remove the 2 screws here.

With dash removed now you can separate the hot glue from under interior (#1), The Flux Capacitor light is under tape #2.

Carefully remove glue & pull out bulb from here.

I then removed the doors by removing 4 screws here. (careful not to loose the rear mirror!)

Next, the windshield. Remove 2 screws at bottom. Then push windshield out on the bottom/sides from under the glass. Be careful! The idea is to slip the tabs where the crews were straight out/up.

The windshield pulls out from bottom and slips down.

Now, the Engine. I decided not to remove the 4 screws at each corner of the black part since it looks like it would disassemble the exterior clear parts. I removed the 4 screws at each end of the "motherboard" thing.

Then I pried off the hot glue closest to motherboard and removed the 2 screws under it.

The previous screws were holding the "bar" in the engine.

Now I lifted the exhausts up/back to snap them off. There was glue only towards the back.

This is what it looks like so far.

But IT STILL WORKS!!! :cool

I removed the hideous side mirrors. 1 screw each side.

I tried to remove the Flux Capacitor. But it's glued there real good! :eek

Then, I popped off the Switch. It took much force rocking it back & fourth!

Very little glue was used to hold the back interior wall. Just popped it off & pulled it strait up/out.

Here's the mess I have now! :love
Lot's of work, but I'm so excited!!!

Last edited:
hey seriously, thanks, i've been wanting to do this to my BTTF 2 hovering delorean as well. I bought a cheap 2 remote control LED light from evilbay and found that the chip they used is small enough to use on my delorean to start the sound affects wirelessly other then i would recommend the stickers as well.

Cool! You have gone further than I did!

(OK, so I wanted to open it up a little bit so I can close it back to *ahem* play with it more )

Here you can see how easy it was to remove the vents from the back..
1st pry the bottom, under, & side outer edge. Then rock the top/center side to side to loosen it up. You will hear the glue cracking/loosening up.

Then just slide the part out. Note: Glue residue on top & bottom.

You can see where the glue was. Not much used (thankfully!)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back