Anyone have good Bariss Offee info?

Paul Andrew

Master Member
My wife decided she wanted us to go to a costume ball (ugh) and in order to get me to go she conceded to doing a Star Wars costume and has decided she likes Bariss Offee. Does anyone have any good links for tutorials or pattern info?

I think I can solve this one. Looks to me like a bias dress. The skirt just flares at the knee, it isn't circular cut or gathered. The silhouette gives it away. The tight fit with a flare look. Bias dresses were popular in the 1930s, which should give you a basic idea of where to look for your base patterns. Also keep in mind that bias is the diagonal grain of the fabric, so it takes a bit more yardage to get a dress out of. The bias has the greatest amount of stretch (on a non-stretch fabric) which gives it that body-hugging look.

Here's a link that may prove useful: http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/4x-lgcm/lgcm-23.html

Here's an image that should give you an idea of what I'm talking about[attachmentid=9272]

Notice how the flare results in a similar drape below the knee.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. My professor's specialty was 1930s women's wear, so I had to get good at Bias dresses fast. They're a bit trickier to sew together because of the stretchines s of the bias, but not unbearable.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely show her this thread. She does all the sewing in the family, I'm too busy playing my 360 to learn.... :lol (that and we only have the one sewing machine)

This is Spanky's wife. First I want to tell you all thank you very much. Reading your posts and looking at the links has helped a great deal. I've got the perfect pattern for the cloak that just needs some minor adjustments; and I have a good deal of experience cloakmaking and not following the pattern correctly anyway just in my own reinactment garb construction so it shouldn't be a problem. The fabric might be an issue though. By looking closely at the pictures, I'd agree with Darth Mule in the layout of the skirt, and the concept of being able to use a zipper in the back of the shirt is exciting since in my reinactment it isn't "correct per period" to use zippers or anything else that makes life easier. However, I haven't seen a good upclose picture of the belt buckle. The only picture listed in the links didn't show up. If you guys happen across a good site for the belt in your surfing, it would be greatly appreciated if you pass it on to me. I've got a household brother in my reinactment group that tools leather so all I need to do is get him a good picture to work off of. Again, thanks to each of you so much for what you have given me. I'm so excited to see how this costume comes together.

YIS, Siobhen inghean ui Gabhneain
wife to SpankyMcJedi

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jul 27 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1289148[/snapback]</div>
I thought I was the only one still playing HALO 2.

lol
[/b]

Nah, I'm still on once or twice a week, when I'm not playing Oblivion or Ghost Recon. I go by xxSNIPERBOYxx on Xbox Live.

Everyone seems to have pointed you in the right direction, http://www.padawansguide.com/ tends to be a wonderful place for all that information.
We have the Dressing A Galaxy book and I'll rifle through it to see if there are any images and I'll post them here if I find anything useful if you'd like.

I was just killing time waiting for this Aquaman pilot to download and ended up back on this thread looking at pics of Bariss Offee. That ribbed stretch that the shirt is partially made of, I just worked with this summer on a show. If you're near North Carolina, I know the designer got it at Mary Jo's. Highly reccomended resource for anyone that lives within 5 hours of Gastonia. At least that's how far I drive to get there.

Ah - I may be able to hlp you out with this this (or failing that, my wife can.)
We've spent many an hour searching for Barris pictures and endlessly staring at them.

We recently finished a barris costume and She got a lot of good feed back.
Being her first time at costuming, she was really shy until a fit lara croft went up to her and told her that it looked amazing, and that it was way better than her own one - talk about a confidence booster.

Anyway - the belt.
Dont get fooled as a lot of the publicity photos are flipped horizontally, so you always see the same side.
The belt actually goes round like a standard belt with a loop on the left had side and ends around about her hip.
The buckle looks to be a heart, in the middle, which looks like two 'leaves' laying on top of each other causing the heart shape. The edging we did by sewing xxxxxx style which looks about as close as we could get.

We used an Imperial buckle, rectangular peice of leather over that, sewed xxxx round the outside and added the 'heart' as another layer in the middle, but flattened the heart around the edges to make it look as if the pattern was actually part of the lower layer, if that make sence

Let me see if I can find a photo...
... here we are:
Emmabeltbuckle.jpg

For more photo's or info, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hope this helps.

Jon

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back