World of Warcraft: Hearthstone

Greyfried

Hello folks

I have a friend who is very much 'into' World of Warcraft. Actually, she's one of only two or three friends I have who are; you'd think I'd have more, but most of my friends are pretty normal. Sort of. Anyway!

Because I knew she'd love it, and also because I wanted to make it , I present to you my first ever prop build:

The Hearthstone from World of Warcraft

I read what I could find on previous attempts at this prop. I really liked the idea of a glow in the dark glyph, but decided to go with a simple LED lamp. This gave me a base to mold the shape around and, frankly, I like LED glowy stuff.

hearthbuild1.jpg

Basic shape and parts before assembly

I used 'Lewis Newclay'. It's a polymer based clay that I was told was good for beginners and, yep, it's pretty easy to use. It doesn't absolutely require firing (they recommend an oven bake), and sets pretty hard given a day or two out in the open. Suits my purposes fine.

I made sure the I cut the symbol out of a 'lid' of clay that sat over a blue tinted plastic window. I made sure that the window was held completely off the base so that the whole thing was lit and not just the center. I also used paper (from a paper bag), above the LEDs and some tissue, paper, glued to the plastic window to diffuse the light and give a more overall glow.

hearthbuild2.jpg

Plastic bottle (with the back cut out) that I used for the 'glyph window'

It took a little bit of shopping around, but I found the perfect shade of plastic that I was looking for in this bottle. It took a bit of soaking, scrubbing, scraping and nail polish remover, but I finally got the label off and cut out a suitable section. (I'm sure there's easier ways to get labels of cleanly - I'll look it up before I build the next one).
While the shade of the plastic was perfect, I might have been better with a more opaque material. In the end, I solved that problem with paper, as mentioned above.

I ended up using a different symbol than the one pictured above. I flattened out 'lid' of clay and cut the glyph shape out using a craft knife. Since there seem to be very few good pictures of a hearthstone's glyph, I worked from the icon while the game ran on my laptop. Technically the most acurate source material, I guess, but so tiny! Once that was done I smoothed and blended the whole lot together.

hearthbuild3.jpg

The assembled and smoothed hearthstone

If/When I'm making another, I'd like to make the depth a little shallower.
The light is one of those push-to-turn-on varieties, therefore the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery. I'll have a look for some suitable paint, but as it stands, and for a cheap and cheerful first-ever-build, I'm pretty happy.

hearthbuild4.jpg

Set it to your favorite inn.​

Greyfried

This looks great! There is also a pepakura model available for the hearthstone in pdf format. It's be great to combine the methods of the 2. Your choice of light looks great also (y)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back