a

9b67bd029309b8f2f3dccb2f5ae07db9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ESB vs ANH?

Luke's change in lightsaber could be explained by tinkering, but it seems like Darth Vader used the ESB version in both Rogue one AND Return of the Jedi so harder to explain things as tinkering.

I like the ANH version better but ESB version of the costume a lot better.

like my theory on his armor (having multiple suits in different locations, hey its gotta get sweaty in there) i always thought he had multiple sabers to go with each suit. thats how i tell me OCD brain to cope with it...

I agree with halliwax. My assumption has always been that since the Empire has control of all the known Jedi Temples, Vader would have all of the required resources to construct as many lightsabers as he could possibly want/need.

I think I disagree here. Armor yes, multiple sets, different variations and so on. A light saber is a force wielders connection to the force. It should have been created by the Jedi/Sith personally in a very personal soul searching way. It is supposed to be a very draining process, especially for a sith who has to bent the will of the crystal who's nature is to be good.

I just don't think that a force user would have multiples of such a deeply personal item. None as far as I can remember has ever had multiple sabers at the same time, unless they were made to use two, like ventress. They have their saber and thats it.

like my theory on his armor (having multiple suits in different locations, hey its gotta get sweaty in there) i always thought he had multiple sabers to go with each suit. thats how i tell me OCD brain to cope with it...

I agree with halliwax. My assumption has always been that since the Empire has control of all the known Jedi Temples, Vader would have all of the required resources to construct as many lightsabers as he could possibly want/need.

I always assumed a lightsaber was imbued with energy by the user over the course of their life as well. Losing it would feel like loosing an appendage (just ask my buddy Luke).

I like to think that he hadn't used his saber in years, then one day he had to shred a bunch of rebels, and a day or two later, had his first duel in eons. The saber was over-worked after years of infrequent use, so he tinkered. That gets us from the ANH to ESB/ROTJ version.

I don't count the Graflex stunt or Freebourn versions in Jedi as story canon, and we couldn't see enough of the saber in R1, so my reasoning works fine for me!

I think I disagree here. Armor yes, multiple sets, different variations and so on. A light saber is a force wielders connection to the force. It should have been created by the Jedi/Sith personally in a very personal soul searching way. It is supposed to be a very draining process, especially for a sith who has to bent the will of the crystal who's nature is to be good.

I just don't think that a force user would have multiples of such a deeply personal item. None as far as I can remember has ever had multiple sabers at the same time, unless they were made to use two, like ventress. They have their saber and thats it.

Hmmm... I don't think the process was so difficult that it would be unreasonable to assume Vader had multiples. Lightsaber construction was shown in The Clone Wars and it seems even younglings were able to complete the task. The most difficult part being to find a crystal, which Vader would have no problem doing.

Granted, using the Dark Side to bend the crystal to ones will, thus turning it red, may have been taxing, but I personally feel that Vader would have been up to the task.
I mean, he's gotta find some way to fill his time while he's sitting around in that castle on Mustafar. Ha

Also, we know Palpatine had at least one spare lightsaber, seeing as he lost his first one out the window, during his battle with Mace Windu in ROTS and then had another one ready to go when facing Yoda. He's also seen duel wielding in The Clone Wars. So I still stand by the multiple saber theory. Its the only "In Universe" explanation that makes sense to me.

Also, we know Palpatine had at least one spare lightsaber, seeing as he lost his first one out the window, during his battle with Mace Windu in ROTS and then had another one ready to go when facing Yoda. He's also seen duel wielding in The Clone Wars. So I still stand by the multiple saber theory. Its the only "In Universe" explanation that makes sense to me.

with Palpatine's lightsaber(s), I think there were some retconning going on

I have read about this some years ago (maybe it was on the RPF?), supposedly, in an earlier version of the Palpatine vs jedis scene, Anakin was present from the start but haven't joined the dark side yet, apparently Palpatine force pulled Ani's saber and used it to fought the jedis (if you look at his action figure for ROTS, it actually has Anakin's lightsaber, but the color of the blade was changed to red)

in the cinema release, Palpatine were seen fighting with his own lightsaber (if you look closely at the fight scene, you can see him wielding Anakin's lightsaber in some close up shots), which eventually flew out the window, but he later fought Yoda with the exact same saber, I guess the people at Lucasfilm didn't care or think no one will notice :) later on in the Clone Wars they "fixed" the issue by saying he has two identical lightsabers :)

Last edited:
I am going with single lightsaber + tinkering

if you look at the samurais (which is what jedis are supposed to be based on), they each have their own special sword which is perfect for him, some swords would even have a name too. There are lots of stories where they would kill each other just to get their hands on the other's sword. Other stories goes like big name samurais/generals/lords would literally get down on their knees and offer tonnes of gold to beg a famous sword smith to make them a sword. And with these swords, while the blade is irreplaceable, the grips/handes/sheath/guards are all "consumables" which are regularly replaced ie tinkering

I don't think the prop makers consider any of the props to be exactly what the in universe item looks like. They are willing to use different designs with no logical in universe explanation.

At times there may be in universe explanations, but for other cases they don't think people will notice or don't care. They are more concerned with making a film than making sure every prop is consistent and logical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think I disagree here. Armor yes, multiple sets, different variations and so on. A light saber is a force wielders connection to the force...

Source, please. Because that would help me understand the TFA Rey´s force vision scene.

And I have to agree, tinkering, yes, but not a complete exchange. Although Anakin does not really seem too attached to his lightsaber/s.

Source, please. Because that would help me understand the TFA Rey´s force vision scene.

And I have to agree, tinkering, yes, but not a complete exchange. Although Anakin does not really seem too attached to his lightsaber/s.
It may depend on the person. Some guitarists are very attached to a specific guitar, others think of them as just tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Darth Vader had two different belt hanger sabers in ANH, let alone across movies.

One with silver sidebars and lever on same side as Chronicles pictures, and one with black sidebars and the lever on the other side. Pics attached below.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 84
Found a pic of the 4, 5, and 6 sabers, since I was curious (never seen them side-by-side)...

vader-all-3.jpg

They go from bottom to top chronologically.

Anyway, my vote is for tinkering. It's not like they're drastically different. The prop maker tried to make them look the same, after all, even though they had to use different materials.

Perhaps it was mostly for show in ANH and then he realized that it sucked and so he changed it. After all, have you ever tried to hold one of them in a comfortable and reliable way? Of course they're all ridiculously cumbersome, but changing the grips and moving things around at least showed that he was trying. :)

-Rog

But those pics are of fan builds... using a King Sol and a Heiland-- which we know isn't the case of the props.

For you:

DV_OT.jpg

Those are all the MPP, so I see no continuity trouble that "tinkering" doesn't forgive. It's clearly established Anakin and Luke both have an affinity for fixing things, so the differences in their sabers between films easily excuse the changes to the props.

Well, never mind then. I guess I don't see the crazy changes that everyone's on about in that case. :confused

From one blurry stick with black and silver to another blurry stick with black and silver...

-Rog

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back