Death Star Conference Room Chairs???

I am a bit of a furniture nerd, and they seem custom to me....specifically Tarkin's high back chair.....but maybe build on a Steelcase or similar base....

file.jpg

Death Star conference room.jpg
I think they look quite like ordinary pressed plywood chairs that have had parts cut out.
I dunno about size though. Tarkin's chair is higher, also.

Very well could be, there was a lot of plywood furniture from the 50-70s...you could look into companies like Plycraft and other companies that poorly copied the Eames' designs. There are also many Scandinavian designers that may be worth a look. Vintage Ikea?

View attachment 784556
I think they look quite like ordinary pressed plywood chairs that have had parts cut out.
I dunno about size though. Tarkin's chair is higher, also.

I've often thought this would be a fun project.
Heres my vote for a base to work off of from Ikea.

IMG_2073.PNGIMG_2074.JPG

I think this could be cut out with a jig/coping saw to achieve the proper angles. The existing hole would really help keep it simpler. Finish it off with liquid chrome on the legs. Boom, done!

That's a great pic of the set. Looking closely, I'd say the base is definitely from a real chair. The wheel might be custom, because they are really distinctive and interesting looking. I'll keep an eye out for anything that matches.

I'd look for 1960-70s office chairs. This one is made by SteelCase and has a similar style base.

_MG_5646__00922.1493754811.1280.1280.jpg

If you're looking for something more easily found, Ikea's MOLTE desk chair has a similar base, but no wheels

molte-desk-chair-gray__0327355_PE519797_S4.JPG

What I really like in that set photo is the fact that the handwheels for the height setting are all turned away from the camera. The set dresser and or standby props person had paid good attention to detail.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back