Glowforge printer... old news... nothing to see... move along

Moviefreak

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did anyone see this yet? I searched here on the forum and didn’t see this in any discussions, but if it is mentioned elsewhere, MODS please feel free to merge it.

The Glowforge 3-D printer is in the crowdfunding stage and looks pretty versatile for many projects. It almost acts like a image printer, 3-D printer, CNC cutter, later cutter, all in one.

https://glowforge.com/?utm_source=g...MIzbe0nu-Q2wIVSb7ACh2QjARAEAAYASAAEgJDqvD_BwE

Last edited:
Re: Glowforge 3-D printer. Did anyone see this?

It's a laser cutter/engraver And it's not a 3d printer at all. That's just marketing hype. Also, this was funded to the tune of about 25-30 million in 2015.

It's a laser cutter/engraver And it's not a 3d printer at all. That's just marketing hype. Also, this was funded to the tune of about 25-30 million in 2015.
Add to that they "are" still trying to ship the original units to those who purchased them during the Kickstarter stage.

That said this is a unit that oversells it's benefits while understating the safety concerns. For the price you can find smaller lasers from companies like USlaser, or Epilog that have a proven history and will run off of your pc without uploading your work to the cloud.

The air scrubber is problematic as well run a vinyl record, or vinyl masking material through the machine and not only will the fumes eat the machine, but the fumes are toxic.
The short list of laser no no's
Leather and artificial leather that contains chromium (VI) (Leather smells like your burning a dead body so most maker spaces only allow leather work just before closing)
Carbon fibers (Carbon)
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - (chlorine gas- deadly to humans, and eats the components of the laser )
Polyvinyl butyral (PVB)
- (chlorine gas- deadly to humans, and eats the components of the laser )​
Polytetrafluoroethylenes (PTFE /Teflon)
Beryllium oxide
Any materials containing halogens (fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine)
- (fumes- deadly to humans, and eats the components of the laser )​
Epoxy or phenolic resins
Additionally, extreme care must be used when attempting to lase Manganese, Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Copper, & Lead.

Fiberglass and pcboards are on the list as well but Glowforge indicates they are ok but I wouldn't try them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahhhhhh... a news story popped up and I assumed it was new. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Nuts. I searched it but didn’t find anything. JEDIFYFE’D AGAIN! :darnkids

Ok.... old news... move along! :lol

I've been using one at my local makerspace and liked it enough to order my own (plus, they have rules about using member equipment for for-profit projects). I've found it useful for cutting a ton of different things, including plywood cores for foam weapons. One of the members is working on Daenerys filigreed armor; she cut it using 2mm foam and the whole thing took about 30 mins for all parts. I make all of my patterns in Illustrator, so for me it removes three steps. Once I've got my pattern, I no longer have to print it out, cut the pattern, trace it and then cut the foam. So far, the thickest I've cut is 4mm, but I'm not a fan of the floor mats anyway. I do a lot of layering and detailing with shallow cuts, so I really like it. Shipping is currently 10 days on all units in North America. The filter is supposed to ship in November. I have a dedicated shop space and plan to just vent from a window and see no immediate need for it. YMMV. I don't have any pics on my home laptop, but I'm going by the space and my shop later today. If anyone is interested, I can post some pics and video.

maxresdefault.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back