1955 Metaluna Mutant statue completed........3 and a half years in the making...

HILDEBEAST

Hello Everyone
I have not posted on this forum in many months. The last post showed my Metaluna Mutant statue in progress. Well...after three and a half years of working on this guy I finally completed him. I was commissioned to build a few of these and soon after started doing concept and design work for a toy and collectable company which took away my time on the mutant. There are 8 pieces to this mutant and most of them took several weeks to sculpt. After sculpting I did all the molding of the parts, then casting and finally painting. I reviewed dozens of stills and photos and took measurements to make this mutant the most accurate version ever built. I believe this mutant is the first life-size mutant statue ever built in the 60 year history of the "This Island Earth" film. He is not just painted blue...he has a blue grey base and slightly lighter and darker flecks of color over the base. The original 1955 mutant had the same paint style on the body and pants.

Here's some technical information:

This mutant is 7 feet tall on a roughly 6 inch base making him roughly 7 and a half feet tall total. The parts are all a resin layer roughly 1/2 inch thick and backed with a sturdy rigid foam making the entire piece fairly light. The base is made to replicate the dark brownish gray Metaluana moonscape with stalagmites and craters on it. The base has four wheels on the bottom to easily move the mutant around from room to room. The base has 2x4 wood supports underneath and a specially designed system to easily remove the torso from the base. The base is sturdy and I can stand on it easily and I weigh 165lbs. The base has mounted metal pipes rising up 6 inches through the boots. The torso has smaller metal pipes running out the ankle of the foot that slides easily into the base over the boots. The boots simply fit into grooves in the base and weigh about 2 pounds each. Total time to put together and tear down is about 5 or 6 minutes once you do it a time or two. The base has three multi colored color changing lights behind the oval plaque that slowly change from red to blue to green and make the background and stars on the plaque look like the sky is moving. The plaque image I designed in Photoshop and its modge podged onto the back of a clear piece of acrylic plastic.
The arms bolt onto the torso, the head simply rests on the torso and the back plate simply pushes into the torso with special rods on the back plate. The entire statue is plugged into a standard wall power outlet. There is a remote device that does come with the statue and it plugs into the wall also. Using an included fob, a click will turn on the color changing base lights and a flicker bulb is mounted in the head to light up the eyes, another click will shut them off. The eyes are a special lens I designed and is painted on the reverse with a metallic green/yellow paint making them looking similiar to a reptiles eyes. The lighter veining is glow in the dark so even after this mutant is shut off his eyes will still glow. The eye lighting effect is very subtle as they didn't light up in the original film. The atomic symbol on the accurately colored maroon belt is raised like the original and has a special hologram paint that makes it slightly change color as you view it.
I hope everyone likes this piece and so far it has been very well received. Thank you for looking at it....my e-mail is: hildebeast@verizon.net if anyone has any comments of questions....

Metalunamutantphotoshopcopy.jpg

DSC00125copy.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

A couple mutants complete and ready for delivery!

DSC00126.jpg

Close up of the back detail including chrome buttons on the sculpted atomic belt.

DSC00115.jpg

Raised atomic symbol painted white and then a hologram paint added to make it reflect different colors.

DSC00128.jpg

Close up of the elongated hand and claw.

DSC00107-Copycopy.jpg

Here is the color changing plaque showing mainly blue colors...

DSC00108.jpg

Color changing plaque showing mainly greens and reds ...

DSC00127.jpg

Back of the base showing cord and the numbered, signed and dated plate.

IMG_32931.jpg

Yours truly delivering a mutant.

DSC00137.jpg

Mutant number one found a great home to live in!

Last edited:
Doug, as usual, jaw dropping work! Well done, Sir!
I'm sure Estil is dancing a jig on this Christmas Day!

God I hate him.

Killer work!

I'd love to see more pics of how you mount the feet to the base. Always tricky stuff to make work right.

I didn't take any photos of how the feet are mounted. I did make a 2x4 square wood frame on the bottom of the base and covered it all in rigid foam that cemented it in. I had 6 inch long by 1 1/4 round pipes I screwed into the base with those typical flanges people use. I have a slightly smaller 1 inch pipe glued into the ankle that's about 12 inches long going up towards the knee. I even have a smaller 3/4 inch pipe bent up into the knee and running in the inside of the leg just for double support. The torso just lifts off the base very easily over the boots.

I found if you use a pipe screwed into the metal flange and screw it into a base you can run slighlty smaller pipes up into your mannequin or body and just slide the body pipe into the base pipe. Hope this makes sence. I also wondered how I was going to secure the body to the base and then I came up with a simple and effective and inexpensive way to do it. This entire statue fits together perfectly and to set it up it take about 6 or 7 minutes....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back