Luke RotJ Lightsaber Build-Episode Where Do I Start: I Need Hope

Hey guys,

I've been researching for about the past week or so the lightsaber that Luke used in RotJ. In my research I've found that you have the two versions; the silver with bronze and then the stunt version that's silver and black. The attached picture (credit: Wookiepedia, MR Replica based on the image filename, I believe) is the saber I'm going for. I researched the history of this saber to the best of my abilities and based on what I found, it was apparently made from scratch unlike the other sabers in the OT that were otherwise pieced together from multiple items.
Now, what I figure is that while I I'll have to dremel that body out of aluminum pipe, it isn't impossible to piece this thing together since it is inspired by Ob-Wan's saber (I even remember finding that the black and silver stunt saber was a reused Obi-Wan stunt hilt or MIGHT be one lol). I was just at my local Home Depot checking out pipes and faucets for the pommel and little bronze hose pieces for that distinctive neck along with other substitute options for the emitter unless I can get my hands on a decent Derwent balance pipe replica from the various saber shops online for example or Roman Props (I may even end up going there for the pommel since there were no decent options in the faucet section).

With all that being said, I wanted to give anyone who reads this an idea of where I am before getting to the "I need help part".
Now,
I NEED HELP
I saw Mr. Nagata's build in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=105393 and it personally inspired me that I could potentially do this thing with no machining abilities myself or even access to such equipment to begin with, which I figured if I put my head to it I could totally do but being a first time saber builder I need any solid ground I can find to stand on so to speak. I do plan to message Mr. Nagata after finishing my post but I to get to the point, I really could use any input that anyone has to offer.

What thickness of pipe should I use?
What's the best way to get that matte-ish black in between the silver and on the extension below the bronze section?
Will plumbing pipe do the trick and how should I go about achieving that black extension on an open-ended pipe?

Not to bombard anyone with questions immediately after asking for input, but just to give an idea of some things I would really appreciate an answer for.

Tl;Dr

Any and all input regarding this build will be very much appreciated.

I want to thank you guys so much in advance and I look forward to an informative and active thread! :)

LukeROTJsaber-MR.jpg

The picture you posted would be considered the hero or the v3.
Nicksdad just completed a run of these but you may get lucky finding one. I would go to the runs thread and post there.

The picture you posted would be considered the hero or the v3.
Nicksdad just completed a run of these but you may get lucky finding one. I would go to the runs thread and post there.

I'll try PMing him for some input, thank you!

Thanks! This thread reminded me I didn't have a full shot of this saber on its page, so I'll be adding it in ASAP.

I'm glad this thread benefited someone else besides me so far lol
And thank YOU for this excellent guide. The RotJ sabers can be...well, a tad confusing but this makes it all the more comprehensive

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back