Correct paints for Star Wars models?

Gerard2567

Hey all,

I ordered an insane amount of bandai 1/72 model kits and I’m trying to find the paint colours for the star wars models, does anyone know any accurate representation of the paints for the:

ANH 5ft Millennium falcon

I counted atleast 4 different shades of grey, 2 shades of concrete-like colors, but here’s what I need to find out

• Bluish grey panel (example is located on the buttom of the hull just near the right madible)
  • Dark warm grey panels? (Located on the front of the cockpit cone and near the radar dish, and on the left side of the jawbox)
  • Light grey (another example located on end of hull at the left mandible
Sources for what I’m describing:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2562E103EE4C3F24&id=2562E103EE4C3F24%21107

Other colors

ANH tie base color (i was told Haze grey was a good match, but some said that’s for the ESB/ROTJ shade, so i don’t know which one is true)
ANH x-wing red 5 green (Yes there’s green on the model) I’ve seen someone use tamiya cockpit green, but before i buy it, I want to know if there’s a better match?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

I ordered an insane amount of bandai 1/72 model kits and I’m trying to find the paint colours for the star wars models, does anyone know any accurate representation of the paints for the:

ANH 5ft Millennium falcon

I counted atleast 4 different shades of grey, 2 shades of concrete-like colors, but here’s what I need to find out

• Bluish grey panel (example is located on the buttom of the hull just near the right madible)
  • Dark warm grey panels? (Located on the front of the cockpit cone and near the radar dish, and on the left side of the jawbox)
  • Light grey (another example located on end of hull at the left mandible
Sources for what I’m describing:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2562E103EE4C3F24&id=2562E103EE4C3F24%21107

Other colors

ANH tie base color (i was told Haze grey was a good match, but some said that’s for the ESB/ROTJ shade, so i don’t know which one is true)
ANH x-wing red 5 green (Yes there’s green on the model) I’ve seen someone use tamiya cockpit green, but before i buy it, I want to know if there’s a better match?

Thanks!
Well...i think your best bet is Archive-X. Phenomenal paints and basically manufactured for Star Wars kits.
Quite expensive but I adore mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...i think your best bet is Archive-X. Phenomenal paints and basically manufactured for Star Wars kits.
Quite expensive but I adore mine.

Yes, I heard about them, although one of my mine gripes is that they don’t have the green featured on gold leader and red 5.

Other than that, I don’t live in the U.S. or U.K. so shipping is hoing to be extremely pricey, I try to avoid d.o.a. paints and archive x because of that, i reckon it might be better to mix some paints, or use alternatives.

I am about to start experimenting a bit with the Badger railroad colors to see if they are even anywhere close to the original Floquil paints. I’d like to use them on a studio scale y-wing, if they look the part. I prefer acrylics over enamels, besides the Badger colors are much less expensive than Archive X.

Where did you end up getting your kits from? I'm on a Star Wars 72 scale kick right now and I want them all too!

I am about to start experimenting a bit with the Badger railroad colors to see if they are even anywhere close to the original Floquil paints. I’d like to use them on a studio scale y-wing, if they look the part. I prefer acrylics over enamels, besides the Badger colors are much less expensive than Archive X.
I use a lot of acrylic craft paint thinned with Windex, distilled water, and a tough of rubbing alcohol and they spray just fine. There aren't any hobby stores around me so that's why I started using them. One thing I like about them is they are inexpensive and you can get just about any shade and color you want.

That said, and I am sure someone tried this, for the red used on a lot of the Star Wars ships, I see people mixing their own to get the right shade. That's fine, but for me I never can seem to get the next batch to match 100%. I was thinking the red used looks a lot like red oxide primer, at least to me. I haven't tried it yet and haven't seen any comparisons to studio photos or the Bandai full color instruction sheets. Is it even remotely close? It's plenty cheap enough and available just about everywhere, that's why I was considering it.

Yes, I heard about them, although one of my mine gripes is that they don’t have the green featured on gold leader and red 5.

Other than that, I don’t live in the U.S. or U.K. so shipping is hoing to be extremely pricey, I try to avoid d.o.a. paints and archive x because of that, i reckon it might be better to mix some paints, or use alternatives.
Gotcha. The line is ever expanding so I'm sure that green is coming!
I'll just say that if I were looking for an accurate solution and didn't already have a bunch of paints to play around with I would go for it. You're not going to get any more "correct" than Archive X out of the box.

Where did you end up getting your kits from? I'm on a Star Wars 72 scale kick right now and I want them all too!

I've been getting my kits from Amazon or Hobby Lobby (limited selection though and you have to use the 40% off coupon since they are overpriced like everything else in the store to compensate for the use of coupons :facepalm)

Bandai kits on Amazon are for the most part right at or under MSRP except for the kits that go out of stock and flip over to some private seller trying to sell them for hundreds of dollars.

For example right now you can find most of the 1/72 for around $25 on average. Things like the Y-Wing hover around $29 to $35 while things like the A-Wing are or some of the TFA stuff are done around $15 to $20. Most offer free shipping if your fine with waiting the 5 to 8 business days for those fulfilled by Amazon or prime items, or if buying from a Japanese seller, the 2 to 4 weeks

I find the best time to buy them from Amazon is a few weeks after release as those are typically when prices drop the lowest. You can also use https://camelcamelcamel.com/ and copy in the Amazon URL to check the price history on items to get a better sense of whether you are getting a good deal or not

Ok cool... I have been getting mine from www.scalehobbyist.com. Their prices seem right in line with what you are saying. When I order some paints and supplies I usually throw a kit or two on the order as well.

That said, and I am sure someone tried this, for the red used on a lot of the Star Wars ships, I see people mixing their own to get the right shade. That's fine, but for me I never can seem to get the next batch to match 100%. I was thinking the red used looks a lot like red oxide primer, at least to me. I haven't tried it yet and haven't seen any comparisons to studio photos or the Bandai full color instruction sheets. Is it even remotely close? It's plenty cheap enough and available just about everywhere, that's why I was considering it.

When I was going through paint convertions, every match for the floquil caboose red just happened to be basic flat red in most convertions, althought for tamiya, i’d add 3 drops of hull red if i don’t like it, one factor people need to include is whether or not it’s water based. Solvent paints are naturally thicker, so they need to be misted over in light coats to get the desired panel color, I would never make a panel fully opaque on a star wars model, I’ve always seen a gradient on them.

So, please critique me on this, I’m not sure if this is right, but I did a little more research on floquil paints.

10ml Tamiya Xf-02 flat white +3 drops of Xf-55 deck tan, 1 drop of xf-53 neutral grey is supposedly a good match to floquil reefer white?

(After experimenting, I suggest using 10ml xf-02 flat white with 2 drops of tamiya light grey)

It also appears to on the miniature the model used the reefer white in a custom mix with other paints, appearing to look like tamiya as-20 or the mix xf-02 10:1 xf-20

Reefer white appears on certain panels, differentiating it self with main hull colour, as it appears near the engine vents deck snd on some panels of the front top left hull.

My reason for this mixture is that reefer white is not blank/perfect white, and appears to have a slight off-hue.

My father (who was a automotive spray painter in the 1960’s) and I discussed how paint would’ve looked like in the 1970’s, one problem he had with white was “It was a pain in the **** to color match, no white is actually white, they’re always off-white, that’s just how the paints is” which I believe he may be refferring to the solvents used then, most had a yellow or dark hue, which would be correct, color matching white was a difficult task then, he even left as soon as “Metallics” came out, poor guy.

Other matches that need to be confirmed : (Also, i’m doing grey and gray different to avoid confusion in brand translations)

Model Masters reefer gray for warm grey panels

Model Masters Chrysler Yellow or Reefer Yellow for yellow panels (or Tamiya 1:1 flat yellow and yellow green)

Tamiya 2 parts xf-02 flat white 1 part xf-82 ocean grey 2 RAF 1 drop xf-08 blue for cool grey panels (Blue panels)

Tamiya xf-20 medium grey for concrete panels

Tamiya xf-63 german grey misted over Model Masters reefer gray for the “darkest greys”

The light grey panels are a mystery to me still, but tamiya primer grey looks close, but still far off, maybe tamiya light grey and flat white 1-1?

One thing i know for sure is that watered down yellow ochre is used on the model in various areas, such as the centre of the wankel. I don’t think the color should change, since yellow ochre is a pigment from clay.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I got my hands on a Revell “Build&Play” TLJ A-Wing yesterday for an insane price. I am considering giving it the classic McQuarrie "R-22 Spearhead"paint scheme from the Return of the Jedi concept painting.
IMG_7331.JPGOriginal_Ralph_McQuarrie_Artwork.jpg
Carefully analyzing the painting, I have the impression that (opposite to what ended up in the movie) as if this ship would have a very light, worn aluminium finish as the base color.
Now I only wonder how to achieve this with any of the commerially available model paint solutions (Tamiya, Vallejo, Humbrol etc.)
Can you give me any hints?

Last edited:
t
Hi folks,
I got my hands on a Revell “Build&Play” TLJ A-Wing yesterday for an insane price. I am considering giving it the classic McQuarrie "R-22 Spearhead"paint scheme from the Return of the Jedi concept painting.
View attachment 807946View attachment 807947
Carefully analyzing the painting, I have the impression that (opposite to what ended up in the movie) as if this ship would have a very light, worn aluminium finish as the base color.
Now I only wonder how to achieve this with any of the commerially available model paint solutions (Tamiya, Vallejo, Humbrol etc.)

It’s up you on the base colour, personally i see white, greys and grimes, as the “grey” seems to represent to darkness of space, and the white is the reflection of the light source.

Caution, below are just theories based on previous mixtures I did, no way are they entirely accurate! Always start on brighter end, before working darker down the hues!

My preference would be;

(If going with metallic base) Alclad or spaz stix lacquers, they’re the most beutiful metallics out there. Tamiya metallics are something I’m no familiar with, other than they don’t like to be mixed with thinners for airbrushing.

Base colour: Tamiya Xf-02 flat white 2:1 Tamiya xf-19 sky grey
Undercoat the front 1-2” Tamiya xf-01 flat black, middle tamiya neutral grey and back portion xf-02 again.
Panel accents warm white: Tamiya xf-02 flat white with 10 drops of tamiya xf-55 deck tan
Panel accents cool grey: Tamiya sky grey
Red accents: Xf-07 flat red with 5 drops of x-06 orange
Smoke: Tamiya smoke x-19 with a 1:1 flat base, as tamiya smoke is gloss.
Gold accents: Tamiya x-12 gold leaf misted on x-1 black
Pure white panels: tamiya xf-02 flat white with 4 drops of xf-55 deck tan
Blue panels: Tamiya xf-08 1:1 xf-14 sky blue

Hi folks,
View attachment 807946View attachment 807947
First an admission and disclaimer :)
First and foremost I am by far nowhere near as skilled in kit building as a lot of people on here. What I have found though is that there is a lot of subjectivity in our hobby- meaning people do what they think looks best to them. I may not be at the build level of a lot on here, but I can say this, I do know paint and colors :) I used to develop advanced paint based projection screens and took courses at RPI on color science. Dr. Mark Fairchild and I had some lengthy discussions on color theory and the human eye. Our eyes are really the biggest factor because no two people see color exactly the same. This is why it can be so hard to match things by looking at pictures, especially on a computer ,monitor. Calibration is the key if you're trying for a 100% match... and everything must be calibrated to the same color space and standard. I even have a spectrophotometer and had a colorimeter when I was doing screens.

As mentioned, white and black are the hardest because they are not really a color. The problem is there are two types of color, additive and subtractive. When dealing with video images it's additive, when creating paint shades and colors it's subtractive. Black, and white are not colors. Black is the absence of color, white is the presence of all colors (in an additive system). Where it gets really tricky is to create a paint we use pigments, and there really is no such thing as a 'pure' pigment. What that means is the color and shade will always be slightly different between batches. Usually it's not by much, but there will be a difference. That doesn't mean every bottle of paint you get will be different looking- they are small bottles and literally hundreds if not thousands are filled from the same batch. The next batch however could be slightly off, again this is usually not perceivable to the human eye, but it can be. That's why professionals always mix their paint 50/50 from separate cans. That provides the best match in the event you have two cans/bottles from different batches.

All that said... and apologies about going all Mr Science on everyone ;) ... everything looks slightly different to everyone. Again with that said, people will naturally have a different take and opinion on what looks right 'to them'.

David I like using metallics a lot. To me I just think it makes sense in some applications. I've used Testors (yes THAT brand) Metalizers with some really good effects. I like the buffing metallics and to me... the aluminum plate, when buffed and given a high gloss finish can have an almost whitish gray or even a pearl white kind of look. (pearl paints and other iridescence are often considered metallics). Aluminum plate that's given a dull coat and weathering wash tends to have a light gray look (to me). So I usually layer things with aluminum, stainless steel, and other metallics for different effects. I personally really like spraying a base coat (after primer of course) of either aluminum plate or stainless, and then use hair spray in different areas I want weathered. Then I put down a top coat of white or light gray and scrub the hell out of the areas I want to look worn with a tooth brush. It exposes the base metal coat in some areas, but also thins the top coat in other areas giving it a slightly translucent look that's not quite 'bare metal' but starting to look worn, To me it makes a good transition and blends in with the 'exposed' metal area.

For other builds like my Cylon Raider, it's all metallics.. aluminum plate, stainless, titanium, magnesium, and dark gun metal. In certain light it looks gray, in other light it looks like metal. Also the rear louvers look different depending on the light (there is that eye thing and colors again ;) ) I'm also kind of a minimalist in a way. I personally think if these ships were real, how would they be painting and repairing them. I'd think they wouldn't have time to get fancy so things would look a bit pieced together. On the Empire side (or Trek) I take a different approach. To me they do put a lot of effort into design and looks, so they tend to have a more pristine and well maintained look with only light wear and tear and weathering.

So I guess what I am saying is I really doubt ILM and the guys that build these props for movies spend a lot of time mixing special colors. They have to be able to match things if they need to do a repair, or build a ship again for a new movie. As I mentioned it's hard enough to get a 'perfect match' even with factory made colors, custom mixing would be a nightmare to match. Then throw in there that we all see things differently and two different people could mix two different colors/shades. Sooo... I guess that was just a long winded way of saying me personally, I try to make things look realistic and accurate to me.

BTW I got my grandson that same kit and he loves it and had fun putting it together with me :)

David I like using metallics a lot. To me I just think it makes sense in some applications. I've used Testors (yes THAT brand) Metalizers with some really good effects. I like the buffing metallics and to me... the aluminum plate, when buffed and given a high gloss finish can have an almost whitish gray or even a pearl white kind of look. (pearl paints and other iridescence are often considered metallics). Aluminum plate that's given a dull coat and weathering wash tends to have a light gray look (to me). So I usually layer things with aluminum, stainless steel, and other metallics for different effects. I personally really like spraying a base coat (after primer of course) of either aluminum plate or stainless, and then use hair spray in different areas I want weathered. Then I put down a top coat of white or light gray and scrub the hell out of the areas I want to look worn with a tooth brush. It exposes the base metal coat in some areas, but also thins the top coat in other areas giving it a slightly translucent look that's not quite 'bare metal' but starting to look worn, To me it makes a good transition and blends in with the 'exposed' metal area.

Hey whb64,
I picked up a can of Aluminum Metalizer (I'm not at home and can't remember brand, Model Masters I think. Got it at Hobby Lobby.) that is meant to be buffed. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to what I was purchasing, because I didn't realize it was a metalizer that needs buffing. The can says to check the insruction booklet, but there is none and on return trip to Hobby Lobby I could not find a booklet (free or for purchase).

I picked it up to use on a Bandai 1/12 R2-D2 kit (for R2's dome). Like you, I think using clear coats turns silver metallics to gray but I am afraid that not using one, especially with a metallizer, may be an issue with the paint rubbing off.

Can you recommend a good source of info for using this type paint. YouTube is usually my "go to" for tutorials, but I didn't have luck finding videos for this type paint.

If you have a recommendation, thanks if advance.

Jim

For the buffing Metalizers you need to use a sealer after you get it all buffed. I usually stop there after it's sealed, but you can also use something like future as a gloss coat. Matte or flat will definitely make it look gray and less metallic.

To buff it I use an old cotton T shirt or soft cloth like that. I think you'll find after it;s buffed out and sealed you will be happy with the sheen and look.

For the buffing Metalizers you need to use a sealer after you get it all buffed. I usually stop there after it's sealed, but you can also use something like future as a gloss coat. Matte or flat will definitely make it look gray and less metallic.

To buff it I use an old cotton T shirt or soft cloth like that. I think you'll find after it;s buffed out and sealed you will be happy with the sheen and look.

Thanks whb,

I should have thought of using Future. I use it as a prep for applying waterslides and have sometimes used it as a sealer. I give Star Wars droids and ships a dull finish so I always ruled out using it, but I can use it on R2's dome and silver parts and dull coat the rest.

Thanks again,
Jim

Okay, so does anyone know what is s good color for the x-wing/y-wing canopy? I’ve heard some sources state haze grey, others such as archive x state it’s Gn sky blue and light blue (Maybe faded?) (The tamiya close equivelants is Tamiya x-14 Sky-blue with some drops of xf-08 flat blue and flat base (Or tamiya spray french blue with flat finish) and xf-23 light blue for... light blue.)

Any model makers out there know any readily available paints?

Okay, so does anyone know what is s good color for the x-wing/y-wing canopy? I’ve heard some sources state haze grey, others such as archive x state it’s Gn sky blue and light blue (Maybe faded?) (The tamiya close equivelants is Tamiya x-14 Sky-blue with some drops of xf-08 flat blue and flat base (Or tamiya spray french blue with flat finish) and xf-23 light blue for... light blue.)

Any model makers out there know any readily available paints?

USAF Light Gray FS 36495 would be a good start, maybe with a drop of blue added.

I know its a Tamiya "grey" thats looks blue rattle can of some kind and the lid dont look like the right color - I have to check the nozzle every time I go back to it lol... I will check when I get home. I made sure to go a TAD light on the blue/grey color b/c I am using pastels and flat clear and it all gets darker.

IMG_20170106_070100.jpg

IMG_20180101_163218.jpg

IMG_20170804_223054.jpg

also used this combo for my AMT B-wing

IMG_20160226_075015434.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back