Sherlock Holmes (Granada/Brett) props

I thought I'd mention that I found a hat that seems nearly identical to Granada Holmes's Homburg Hat. It a Borsalino hat and is available from Byrnie Utz Hats in Seattle (just give them a call—they don't have an e-commerce site).

Here is a grimy camera phone image of me trying one on and a few snaps of the interior. It was a few hundred dollars, as I recall, and authentic beaver fur.

WP_20130806_001.jpgWP_20130806_004.jpgWP_20130806_005.jpg

My guess is that any original used in the production would have been likely to come from Lock & Co in St James in London (or similar), but those are considerably less accessible, especially for those paying in USD. The ones stocked by Utz appear to be in the identical style and material.

Given the cost and slight wonkiness of the Homburg, I couldn't resist and opted instead for a totally non-screen-accurate (and relative inexpensive Irish-made tweed) deerstalker.

WP_20130806_006.jpg

Was that a cane Brett used to shatter the Napolean bust at the end, or a riding crop?

A riding crop, I'd gather, given its short length.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, if you type "horn riding crop" into a Google image search, you'll see quit a few examples of ones very like the one Brett uses:

This, for example.

Hi!So happy to get in here!I'm real Holmes and specially granada Holmes fan.Here is my crazy loved project-1/6 scale figure.Not completed yet, but I want to share with you some pieces I already have:)Sorry-will trie to post pics later-can't upload from my gallery:(
But hallo from biggest Sherlock fan in Latvia!

Does anyone have a clue as to what the wooden (mirror looking) glass is in the background? I was hoping to find one someplace!
The thingie on the stand (far left) is a camera or some other object with a lens mounted in a board. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Great thread, everyone! As a long-time Sherlockian and short-time replicator, I was very happy to see this on the forums.

Last edited:
A riding crop, I'd gather, given its short length.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, if you type "horn riding crop" into a Google image search, you'll see quit a few examples of ones very like the one Brett uses:

This, for example.

With the antler handle, it's properly termed a hunting crop; the crook handle was used to manipulate gate latches without dismounting while fox hunting.
You can see better views of the hunting crop Jeremy uses in the episode "The Red-Headed League" (it's the same prop).
The hunting crop was one of Holmes' favorite weapons, according to Dr. Watson.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 372160

I did a google search for "cast iron vanity mirror" and this popped up. My guess is it was an item that was sold on Etsy. I'm pretty sure it's a match.

View attachment 372176

It was actually sold on eBay as "Antique Medeival Crown Shaving Mirror".

Phenomenal work, Gary! I've been trying to make out the details on that thing for a long time — thank you!!!

Does anyone have any details about the churchwarden pipe?

There were at least two: the first, a cherry wood pipe with a long "amber" stem was custom made for the first season by an English pipe maker (I've never been able to ascertain who), according to Jeremy. This is the churchwarden that is a sort of medium blonde color, and there is little contrast in the color of the stem vs. the bowl. At the end of filming season one, someone stole it (again, according to Jeremy), so that particular one, which was his favorite, never shows up again. Its replacement is the similarly shaped pipe (sharply bent stem, Dublin shape bowl) seen in the pictures on this thread. It has a medium brown ("smooth briar" color) bowl and a black (or almost black) stem. It is reported to have been factory-made, but was likely customized (the stem bend especially) to resemble the original pipe.

Bonds of London offers a "large bent Dublin" churchwarden that is a very close match to pipe number two at a most pleasant price. I can also testify (if it matters) that the pipe smokes very well. :)

https://www.bondsoflondon.com/catalouge/churchwarden-pipe-large-bent-dublin-3478.html

What was the dimensions of the Reichenbach Falls print picture that hung in the Granada set, it looks to be 24x36.

Dimensions for the framed print of Bartlett's "Upper Cascade of the Reichenbach" as follows:

Outside dimensions including frame: W= 30.5" ; H= 39.5"
Width of wooden frame: 2" (all around)
Width of white matte: 2.75" (all around)
Dimensions of visible area of print (inside matte): W= 21" ; H= 30"

[Measured by hand in person from the original]
:)

Dimensions for the framed print of Bartlett's "Upper Cascade of the Reichenbach" as follows:

Outside dimensions including frame: W= 30.5" ; H= 39.5"
Width of wooden frame: 2" (all around)
Width of white matte: 2.75" (all around)
Dimensions of visible area of print (inside matte): W= 21" ; H= 30"

[Measured by hand in person from the original]
:)

I think these calculations are correct, or at least very close, based on my own results. I have meassured the version that used to hang in the London Film Museum in 2013 (I was told the museum is gone now, not sure where the collection is at the moment).

I'm new to this site and have been looking for the Reichenbach print for many years. If anyone is able to advise or if there is a downloadable version out there, I'd be grateful for any guidance. Thanks.

Last edited:
Why was deleted my posts of best ever Brett 1/6 portrait?Or here moderators have little understanding about outstanding peaces and don't see differences in paintups?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Yes, was his post deleted INTENTIONALLY ?

I commented on how good the likeness was.....and my post is gone as well.

The posts have been moved to the correct forum (Sculpting) as they are not props so you can continue the discussion there.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267693

The sculpture posts actual exist in multiple threads and are still in the process of being consolidated into one thread in the proper forum.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back