Interactive R2D2: How to fix yellowing plastic?

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Hi all.

I have an Interactive R2D2 and the body and legs have yellowed over time. I've read a few things around the net about solutions to correct it. However I am concerned about which method is the safest for this particular item as it is large and has other painted details that I do not want affected.

Any help?

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Ultra+Violet+Energy
This lists too methods, I once heard a guy in the 501st talk about using UV light (just UV light not sunlight) to change yellow back to white. This site also mentions Hydrogen Peroxide but I don't know anything about that.

Thank you for the link. I have seen similar processes but I find the procedure problematic.

first off, it talks about submerging the item. Since this is a large item with internal electronics, I do not think this is possible. I've heard that there is a gel that came be bought or created that is better for larger items.

second, the uv thing. I've heard that leaving treated items in the sun is ok. If not, I do not want to invest in uv lighting and I would feel weird making an appointment for my R2 unit to use a tanning bed.

the real big question is this: is this process going to eat away/ fade the painted details?

In the past I've used regular peroxide (walmart) in a glass jar, placed in the sun with my kenner action figures. No problems with the paint. It even took away the brown fungus that was on the plastic. My snow and stormtroopers almost came out stark white after 5 - 6 hours. The problem with you're endeavour is you'll have to take the toy apart and find a big enough container for all the parts.

Good luck, hope you can fix your R2.

I found a method I think I can do:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66071596@N00/3822230561/

• 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
• Corn Starch Powder
• OxiClean

Its mainly a variation of many others. This one seems a little more user friendly. The thickening agent to make it a gel is corn starch which I already have and it utilizes 3% peroxide which is what is common on the shelf. I believe I have to go to a beauty supply store for higher %.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm wondering how this would work on an old GI JOE Storm Shadow figure I have from the 80's... going yellow as well. Don't wanna mess up the rest of the paint and color though...

In the past I've used regular peroxide (walmart) in a glass jar, placed in the sun with my kenner action figures. No problems with the paint. It even took away the brown fungus that was on the plastic. My snow and stormtroopers almost came out stark white after 5 - 6 hours. The problem with you're endeavour is you'll have to take the toy apart and find a big enough container for all the parts.

Good luck, hope you can fix your R2.

Careful with OxiClean... There are mixed reviews on it and no one knows if there are any issues further down the road.

Neo Rutty: I've used peroxide on a few Joes. Not Stormshadow. Remember to leave the sealed glass jar of peroxide in direct sunlight for a few hours. There's a blog that experimented on Stormshadow and the only concern was the cobra emblem would fade a bit. If you do an online search for "makeing Stormshadow white" you might find the article. Same site tells you how to make yellowed vehicle windshields clear again.

Just a side note... Last summer when I took my Kenner ANH Han Solo out of a 5 hour "dip". I noticed his blood stripes on his legs went pink. I tried not to panic and just let it dry out. The next day it was red again... I'm not sure if I was just lucky?

Good luck... And remember to test it out on something you don't care about. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, that would be a great option but I lack talent and skill.
Skill develops the more you do it.. Just do it.

If you don't want it weathered, mask with masking tape and just spray it with some good-quality white spray paint that is UV-resistant. You don't need skill to use masking tape, you just need to be thorough.

I would disassemble it before doing anything, though. (retr0brite or paint)

You don't need skill to use masking tape, you just need to be thorough.

I would argue being thorough is a skill because I suck at masking. No matter how much time I take or what type of masking tape i use, my edges come out nasty.

The only saving grace is that weathering usually hides my mistakes. I am going to just try and de-yellow it for now and if that fails in some way, painting will be plan B.

I would disassemble it before doing anything, though. (retr0brite or paint)

I took all the screws out last night to do just that. but as you might expect, wires are connected to everything. I have a higher chance of screwing up the electronics taking it apart than I would just applying the gel.

I think the utility door/panel(s) pop off ( I had a panel sign by Kenny Baker. It saved me from carrying around the entire toy). Why don't you test the gel on that first? You might have trouble cleaning the gel residue out of all the nooks and panel line on the entire R2 unit when your treatment is done.
Let us know how you make out.

I recently weathered my 1:1 mostly metal R2 on my own.

It was scary since it cost big bucks, but I couldn't be happier with the results.

To me, it sounds like it's going to be just as much work and expertise to properly clean it than just weathering it! :D

Shoot me a PM if you want some tips…I think you'd love the end result.

You can see here the yellowing I am trying to reverse. I also noticed it on my POTF2 1:6 scale R2D2,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 171
I have the same yellowing issue on my old interactive R2D2 also. And it wasn't direct sunlight either. But "Hey Artoo, Dance Program" still works!

Here's a picture of mine. I'll want to fix up the old guy too. Interesting that the two doors in front have not yellowed. Perhaps they were not treated with Bromine. Please reply back to thread if you find something that works (or something that doesn't).

IMG_6027_zps95d5fa44.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back