Pepakura

Datvincidoe

Hello all,
I am fairly new to the cosplaying scene and I've seen pepakura files lying around of my favorite characters so I decide to try make my Fallout New Vegas NCR veteran ranger's helmet and It didn't go so well. Any how I want to ask what material you use to harden the pepakura and if you use bondo in the process. When i made the ranger's helmet i used this glaze coat which is meant for tables.

Thank you all,
Datvincidoe

Hello,

I made my first iron man helmet from pepakura out of cardstock. When the helmet was all glued up, i glued in wooden pokers to keep it straight. Then i used fiberglass resin to coat helmet inside and outside 2 times. Let that cirz completely. Then i mixed up some resin with body filler and poured it in the hard to reach spots on the inside. When that was cured i took some chopped strand fiberglass mat and layered the inside with resin. Did that 2 to 3 times. When it was all hardened out. I sanded the outside of the helmet, and applied a layer of automotive bodyfiller. (Evercoat rage gold) then sand sand sand, apply another coat of bady filler when necesary and prime and paint.
Hello all,
I am fairly new to the cosplaying scene and I've seen pepakura files lying around of my favorite characters so I decide to try make my Fallout New Vegas NCR veteran ranger's helmet and It didn't go so well. Any how I want to ask what material you use to harden the pepakura and if you use bondo in the process. When i made the ranger's helmet i used this glaze coat which is meant for tables.

Thank you all,
Datvincidoe

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

thanks Killerke,
I have been looking online for a while and couldn't find any good tutorials showing how to do it. thanks for explaining you really helped.

Look on youtube for cereal kill3r studios i think it was. That are great videos
thanks Killerke,
I have been looking online for a while and couldn't find any good tutorials showing how to do it. thanks for explaining you really helped.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Dungbeetle's Judge Dredd helmet is a very simple pep file, was the first real prop i made using pepakura techniques.

I can email it to you, just PM me your email address.

I used a product called EpoxAmite 101, but I am in the UK so it may be called something different in other countries.

And depending on the room/outside temp it can take a while to dry.

EDIT: I also recommend using latex gloves and a respirator when using Resin or Bondo. Or be working in a well ventilated area. They have quite a noxious odor.

So I built the pep and added the epoxy resin over the weekend
20180505_210321.jpg20180505_210348.jpg20180505_211023.jpg20180505_210341.jpg20180505_210313.jpg
I also used this stuff called glaze coat as the epoxy resin that I put on it. anyhow does anyone see any problems with my pep so I have the info for future builds

It looks to me like you used normal printer paper???
You really want to be using some stiffer paper, somewhere is the region of 180-200 gsm cardstock. This gives you a much sturdier model to begin with. Normal paper warps really out of shape once you start soaking it in resin. (I make this mistake on my first time with Pepakura)

I dug out another tutorial thread, an incredibly well documented build (of the same Dredd pep you are using). Take a look through this...
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611

Thanks that really helps me see some things I didn't see before. As well I did use cardstock for the pep, it just looks wrong because I made a few mistakes when putting the pep together. I already put the first layer of resin on and I'm waiting for it to dry, then I have to go out and buy the bondo and fiberglass kit

Last edited:
last few tips....

Fiberglassing is MESSY... everything gets covered in resin and fibers. Plan accordingly.

When you get round to applying Bondo to the outside... only put thin layers on at a time!!!!
Its easy to add more... its a lot more work to sand huge amounts of it off.

I bought a 'Mouse Sander', this saves SOOOOOOOO much effort when it comes to sanding.

Anyway, keep up with this... I had a lot of fun learning to Pep and building my Dredd helm. Very satisfying once I had the finished piece at the end. Don't forget to reach out with any questions.

Thanks,
this evening I'm going to go out and buy the fiberglass and the bondo and hopefully put the fiberglass on. I will take some more pics before i put the fiberglass on.

Ok so, This weekend i put the fiberglass on but it just wont dry. I put the fiberglass resin on little sections of mats i cut out and that was 2 days ago. The pep was still as flimsy as when i put the epoxy resin on and the fiberglass resin is still tackey to the touch. I tryed spraying more hardener on that yesterday but it still is tackey. I'm not sure whats going on but if anyone knows please help

Many thanks
Datvincdoe

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back