Iron Man Mark 6 Helmet

Akilo101

Hello guys,

This is my first attempt at pepakura and although I am pleased with the helmet so far, I am stuck on some pieces. Specifically the accent line running around the back of the helmet. I plan on reinforcing it with fiberglass but know that the pieces above and below the accent need to be even and don't know how to ensure that. If you have any suggestions please respond.

Thanks

_DSC0031.JPG_DSC0030.JPG

Usually when I encounter uneven spots like what you have there, I just let it be until I've layered the inside with fiberglass. After that, I sand down the uneven parts and fill any gaps with bondo

The best thing you can do is ensure that the helmet is as symmetrical as possible when you apply resin, meaning using the pepakura supports to hold the sides at the correct distance apart and ensure the helmet isnt crooked. After resin, you will have to redo that line in the filler stage regardless.

Yeah, don't get too caught up in the little details, you'll see how much you'll be able to do when you start using filler on it. Also, you don't always have to think in terms of paper. Use whatever you need to add bracing or reinforcements until you get it to a more rigid state, such as wooden sticks or plastic.

I would say Iron Man is one of the more challenging helmets, just because of all the compound surfaces and not to mention how little margin there is between too tight and bobblehead. So don't give up and don't feel like it's your fault if it seems too hard.

-Rog

Thanks a ton guys, I like the idea of using supports but my files don't have them built it. What is the best way to create supports?

Pretty much just what I said. I've used bamboo skewers and plastic and wood scraps. Cut to length and glue. While I think anyone using hot glue for pepakura is mental, it is good for attaching supports. Once you get some fiberglassing done, just cut the supports away.

-Rog

As rogviler mentioned, bamboo skewers will work. Also, rigid cardboard can be used, or simply create a triangular prism from hard cardstock. You can use pepakura to measure the distance between two points where you plan on adding support, so that your helmet will be accurate to the scale of your pepakura model.

Hello guys. Sorry its been awhile, school has been getting crazy and ive had a lapse of motivation but its back now. I still have the cheeks to create out of paper and have a question regarding the teeth. I am planning on 3D printing the teeth because I have heard numerous reports that they are impossible to get right with paper. I was wondering whether it was smarter to build, reinforce, and then cut out the paper teeth from the helmet so that the faceplate has difinitive shape or should I not make paper teeth at all and just wait until after to put in the 3D ones. As always, thanks for the help and have a good day.

Definitely make the helmet with all the parts in place. It's easier to cut away what you don't need than to correct a poorly formed shape.

-Rog

Hello again, I have another question regarding a detail line in the helmet. It is supposed to be a thin line that cuts back into the helmet but i cannot be precise enough to make it happen. What has happened is all of the paper being pushed flat and extending the height of the helmet instead of making a small line. I have no idea what i should do here, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!IMG_2754.JPG

What type of glue is best for paper Pepakura? I have heard things about using wood glue, if you could supply a link it would be appreciated. Thanks!

What type of glue is best for paper Pepakura? I have heard things about using wood glue, if you could supply a link it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure where you're from, but most hardward stores stock different grades of PVA wood glue. I use Selleys Interior Quickset. Look for 'aliphatic cross-bonding' or similar on the label. It is more expensive but worth the extra. Grips very quickly. I apply it with a bamboo skewer from a bottle cap.

Also, for reinforcing pep, you can tighten across a pep helmet or whatever by using a needle and thread to pull sides in together. Been handy on a number of times. Also, you can use hot dog sticks joined with bulldog clips to make variable length reinforcing bars.

Cheers!

Not sure where you're from, but most hardward stores stock different grades of PVA wood glue. I use Selleys Interior Quickset. Look for 'aliphatic cross-bonding' or similar on the label. It is more expensive but worth the extra. Grips very quickly. I apply it with a bamboo skewer from a bottle cap.

Also, for reinforcing pep, you can tighten across a pep helmet or whatever by using a needle and thread to pull sides in together. Been handy on a number of times. Also, you can use hot dog sticks joined with bulldog clips to make variable length reinforcing bars.

Cheers!
I reckon the OP is in the United States, given his location is listed as "Maryland". I use Selley's Wood Glue too, but I doubt the OP could get any such Antipodean substance in his neck o' the woods :p

I agree with Blaxmyth, quoted above; most PVA glue will do the trick. I think you have one called "Elmer's" in the US? That would probably work just as well as any.

For internal structure before using resin, I saw a very good tip somewhere on the forums. Glue in two flat sticks one at each end where you want the support to be and clip them in the middle with a bulldog clip. this way you can adjust the supports and get everything right before using the resin.

What is the best way to get very precise folds close together?
I score my folds with the back side of my Stanley knife, then use the side of my metal ruler to fold against.

Hello again, I have another question regarding a detail line in the helmet.
Rather than worrying about getting the line detailing correct with the fiddly paper folds.... <spoiler alert> Its never going to come out very well.
...check out this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPylfcP_Hc, well worth the 20mins (not mine, i just watched it earlier and bookmarked as it is useful), in fact you may want to watch his whole series, there seems to be a ton of great info. I will be rewatching when I get back to work on my IronMan helm.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back