could I pull this character off?

I think RINZLERTRON is merely trying to maximize the amount of attention he receives of his costume (as we all love when our hard work is admired). So in my eyes it's understandable that he wants to make his character choice based upon resemblance to the character. When saying he doesn't want to waste his money buying items for a costume of which he looks nothing like the character, I believe he means he would not achieve his goal of not only dressing as the character but resembling that character as well. NOT that others, whom do not have the same goal in mind, would be wasting their money.

...At least that is how I interpreted it.
That's exactly what I meant.
Definitely need some shading and eyebrow shaping not sure how far you want to go but, you might want to pluck. There are TONS of youtube videos out there for this. I'm actually trying to pull off a character myself that has quite a bit of detail. Would be awesome to see your progress. I'm completely new to this, my experience with makeup has mostly been stage (highschool) and haunted house.

Yeah, my eyebrows definitely need just a bit of thinning and plucking on the tops. As for shading, its definitely not too big of a deal man, and message me over if you need any help or tips with that! Koipond has actually helped me a lot with shading!

No, I don't agree with you there, either. I dressed as the Dread Pirate Roberts because The Princess Bride is my favorite film. I dressed as Ultimate Spider-Man because he's my favorite comic book character. Not because I thought I could "pull off" the costumes well in other people's eyes. Believe me, even though there's plenty of praise that's come my way, I get a lot more "You're too skinny", "Why's he so thin?", "You ain't him, you're too little" "Eat a sandwich" comments when I'm out in public than you'd imagine--probably more often than the supportive comments. If I was doing this for the approval of others, I'd be gutted, because many-to-most people don't think I can pull off those characters super well. But the people who really love costumes and REALLY love the characters are really enthusiastic and excited--because it's the shared connection of loving a character and putting in hard work that matters, not the phenotype of the person who's suited up. That's what makes sharing these projects worthwhile.
AND I don't think my (or your) striving to look as much like a character as I can and succeeding in the eyes of some people negates that point at all. Folks should be welcome and encouraged to try to replicate any aspect of a character they desire to; where we need to tread carefully is the offhand implication that people who aren't like a character in certain ways aren't also welcomed and encouraged.

There's a lot of toxic aspects of the cosplay community at large, and just because something's been done before or often doesn't make it a good or healthy idea. The drawing of lines between "can pull off that costume" and "can't pull off that costume" doesn't create a supportive environment. It breeds the kind of gross 'value-based' discussions of costumers that results in the kind of negativity that's been leveled at people like Chaka Cumberbatch over the years.
If a section of the forum like that existed, the answers should all be emphatic yes's anyway, so what purpose would it really serve? If someone wants to start a thread asking for costume suggestions, that's super and their own choice, but to dedicate a section of the forum to people asking a la this thread if they are good enough to attempt a costume sends the wrong message about inclusiveness here. This should be a space where people are encouraged to make any prop or costume that they love.
I can agree with a good portion of what you said, except for this part, for a very important reason.
People have the right to ask whatever they please. If someone asks if they can or can't pull off a character, it's obviously because public opinions are important to them. It's important to me, and therefore that's why I asked. It's no bash on anyone who doesn't care if they look like the character, and just wants to be enthusiastic and make the costume, it's just a different approach and reason behind doing the costume.
It's like going to a photoshoot or taking pictures in your mirror. Someone who cares about the way photos look will say "Hey, which of these photos looks better?" or "Does this picture from my photoshoot look better than me in the mirror?". It's not bashing others for taking pictures in the mirror, it's only a personal choice and opinion.

I think you look like a younger Drake (I even showed your picture to my brother who is a fan of the games)! Definitely think you could pull the character off.

I think you look like a younger Drake (I even showed your picture to my brother who is a fan of the games)! Definitely think you could pull the character off.

Well thank you! Yeah, some aging makeup is definitely required, but I've done stuff like that before, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back