Darth Vader Helmet WIP

danzig

I got a couple helmets Ive had sitting around since about 2014ish and time has come to do something with them..They are SPFX castings I bought off Ebay (Before I knew the reputation of this vendor).Anyway,the helmet Im starting with is a ROTJ version,which looks no different than the SPFX ESB version,which I also own,other than the fact there is no dent in the dome.
What Im wanting to do first is make sure the helmet / mask is ROTJ..So if anyone wants to chime in and for advice on how to make it look more like ROTJ,feel free.Im thinking the bottom mouth vents needs to be enlarged? And the windows peak area of the dome should be flattened out a bit?Also need advice on prepping the mask for paint.So for doing such,would anyone recommend Apoxie sculpt or just regular body filler?Ive never worked with Apoxie,but Ive heard good things about it
. IMG_2746.JPG

Thanks for the info guys.I can see that the windows peak area on the SPFX is not shaped correctly at all after viewing the pics on the sites..So will have to grind that down a bit..Comparing the SPFX ESB and SPFX ROTJ,its clear the only change made was some bondo added to the windows peak thumb print on the ESB,to make it ROTJ.Other than that every thing is identical,right down to the casting flaws (mild bumps / scratches,etc..) Wish I still had my JMC ROTJ helmet..sigh...:cry
IMG_2796.JPGIMG_2797.JPGIMG_2793.JPG

Be careful trimming the peak on the SPFX ROTJ. He made alterations to the overall shape of the helmet and if you look closely, the shape of the eyebrows on the dome were resculpted to give an angrier look. If you trim it along the line you drew, the shape of the eyebrows will look off towards the center strip. I'll include some images shortly to illustrate what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful trimming the peak on the SPFX ROTJ. He made alterations to the overall shape of the helmet and if you look closely, the shape of the eyebrows on the dome were resculpted to give an angrier look. If you trim it along the line you drew, the shape of the eyebrows will look off towards the center strip. I'll include some images shortly to illustrate what I mean.

Ahh ok.I think I know what you mean.It almost has ANH sort of look to it..But yes,please post up some pics if you dont mind.Thanks!

I'm not Juan - but I see what's saying, and I thought the same thing.
Not trying to steal his thunder - and I'm sure he'll do a better job explaining - but this is what I was seeing...

ROTJ measurements.jpg

Painting up that SPFX as it is, will be cool enough. If you're looking for a more accurate ROTJ for your collection - paint up and finish your SPFX (good learning experience), sell it, then order the GS ROTJ when it's ready. Mark is close to making the final production mold - and it the master sculpt looks spectacular. It's bang on.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.edwards.3386/posts/10154768242838725

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm wildly giddy over this offering.

Painting up that SPFX as it is, will be cool enough. If you're looking for a more accurate ROTJ for your collection - paint up and finish your SPFX (good learning experience), sell it, then order the GS ROTJ when it's ready. Mark is close to making the final production mold - and it the master sculpt looks spectacular. It's bang on.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.edwards.3386/posts/10154768242838725

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm wildly giddy over this offering.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.I may just do that.Looks really good

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for sharing.I may just do that.It sounds like hes still working on this project on his personal page,but on this page https://www.facebook.com/castfromoriginal/
it sounds like they have been shipping since late last year??

The AS-IS GS version of the helmet is currently for sale. Mark made a mold of the helmet as it was found, then put it up for sale. Still has the ANH faceplate (small chin vent), and all the warty details.

The new ROTJ version will be cleaned up and ready for painting and finishing. Not the larger ROTJ chin vent. :)

The AS-IS GS version of the helmet is currently for sale. Mark made a mold of the helmet as it was found, then put it up for sale. Still has the ANH faceplate (small chin vent), and all the warty details.

The new ROTJ version will be cleaned up and ready for painting and finishing. Not the larger ROTJ chin vent. :)

Yes.Just saw that after I scrolled down the page a bit (thats why I edited my post above that you quoted) .Thats a good idea and Im glad he did that for people who want the helmet as is.I just sent him an email about the ROTJ..In the meantime,Im gonna get to work on the SPFX.After studying pics,I think I got a pretty good grasp on what I need to do.With that said,I need to fill a few minor bumps and just overall smooth out a few things..So has anyone used Apoxy sculpt and would that work for this or maybe just a regular bondo putty?

Ground down about 3/16" off the windows peak area today.Its not that noticeable in pics,but made a difference in person.The dome no longer needs to be posited far back and up off the mounting ring, in order to get the ROTJ look.Thoughts?
IMG_2836.JPGIMG_2840.JPGIMG_2844.JPGIMG_2846.JPG

Well done this is exactly what I was talking about. I see you drew the line for where the eyebrows should start. You can always add some material to resculpt that area shouldn't be too hard. Looking forward to more progress.

Well done this is exactly what I was talking about. I see you drew the line for where the eyebrows should start. You can always add some material to resculpt that area shouldn't be too hard. Looking forward to more progress.

Thanks.I tried not to overwork it.Just a little off about 3" across the front..Also yes.I did a printout of a very accurate fan made vader helmet and drew on my "eyebrow" lines based on that.Any advice on what stuff I should use to fill in gaps on the eyebrow and other areas?Ive heard Apoxy is great,but Im not sure how well it spreads

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back