Custom Jason Voorhees Friday the 13th Cosplay/Costume

Splat762

So I've decided to do something a little different than what I'm use to. I've only ever done Star Wars costumes for the 501st, Vader, Biker Scout and my ESB Boba Fett.

I've always had a thing for Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies. He haunted my nightmares as a kid and now I root for him and his kills when ever I watch the movies as an adult lol. So for Halloween and the next few cons I'm attending I decided to do my own version...not really based on any one movie but if I had to choose a movie for inspiration it would be Part III or Freddy vs. Jason.

Started with the hockey mask. Found one on Ebay that was a Part III mask, wasn't a fan of the paint job so I weathered and detailed it a little bit more. The progress.

jason1.jpgjason2.jpgjason3.jpgjason4.jpgjason5.jpgjason6.jpgjason7.jpg

Next I went to find a outer jacket. From what I've read and seen the outer jacket is more of a canvas type fabric and I saw some people making them but I found an old beat up Carhart jacket on Ebay and decided to work with that. Weathered it, tore it up, a little work with a sanding dremel and some acrylic paints watered down for a spray wash and we have come to this. Going to do a little more but don't want to overdo it.

jacketbefore.jpgjacketafter.jpg

Got my hood in the mail today, custom made and painted for me by Steven over at the Devils Latex. The pictures don't do it justice, it is simply awesome and goes great with the hock that I painted up. Coming along nicely.

hood1.jpghood2.jpg

Started working on the boots. Found some used Doc Marten boots but from the screen shots I've seen the soles aren't quite thick enough so I'm adding some thickness by cutting some hard foam from a garden knee pad to thicken them up. Needed some Shoe Goo and screws and they seem to be working. I'll need to fill in the gaps with some silicone or something to make the soles solid but so far so good.shoes1.jpgshoes2.jpgshoes3.jpg

Im diggin this. You working on anything special for pants?

Thanks! That's actually been the hardest part lol but seems like the easiest...can't really tell what he is wearing in most pics, I think I'll probably just find a junk pair from the thrift shop, more than likely Dockers or Carhart pants. I've got the jacket (above) and a sweater and t-shirt to work up. I'll post some mock up pics. :)

WOW! This looks movie quality, great work.

- - - Updated - - -

How'd you get the ripped sleeves to look so shredded?

WOW! This looks movie quality, great work.

- - - Updated - - -

How'd you get the ripped sleeves to look so shredded?

Thanks mate! Spent a lot of time with a Dremel sander, a sharp Exacto knife and then my hands to pull it apart after using a lighter to thin the fabric. Its a heavy Carhart barn coat and I gutted it lol.

Love that hock and undermask! Really nice job on the weathering and putting him together :) Definitely will be following your progress.

Great job with the weathering! I used to paint fright stuff hocks(back when that was a thing) and realily enjoyed the process and the whole community. Back then though, it was a lot of straight replicating a mask from a certain scene. I can throw up some pictures of ones I painted sometime.

Thanks, yeah I wanted to do my own version of Jason and not really be based on any one movie version. If anything its a combination of Part 3 and JvF. I also enjoy doing the hocks, I've made a few of them...always trying to get that "one" perfect mask lol.

Thanks, yeah I wanted to do my own version of Jason and not really be based on any one movie version. If anything its a combination of Part 3 and JvF. I also enjoy doing the hocks, I've made a few of them...always trying to get that "one" perfect mask lol.

It's funny that you say a combo of FVJ and a Part 3. I painted the mask below in 2008 for a guy who wanted a part 3 that looked like it had been sitting under water 25 years and I made FVJ style leather straps for it. As is the case with this hobby at times, he never paid the remaining balance and I still have the mask 8 years later. I also attached a Part 3 from my personal collection, I used to call these "The Barnyard Brawler" since it's in the style of the mask right before Jason takes an axe to the head.
image_12.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

Anyway, this post brought up a lot of old memories for me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back