Bandai release schedule

The mandibles holding cargo makes a lot of sense, especially considering some of the recent posts. The problem remains that the mandibles in every movie and every scene, as far as I know, are toed-in. Plain and simple. What if all the Y-wing kits were covered in smooth panels because they were like that before the panels were removed? And you couldn't find a model of a Y with all that detail anywhere? Seems simpler to produce, so why not? (This is assuming the ship did look like that. I've read the Clone Wars ship is not quite the same ship, but the OT ship also, once, was covered in panels, too.). FM's mandible issue is further emphasized because they are so far apart. And if moving mandibles explains the FM look, can we also assume that when the mandibles opened up, it caused the jawbox to widen at the mouth to become rectangular? And all that stress on the hull caused the ship to flatten out? Some more of the FM MF mysteries explained?

As far as the new Bandai kit, do we have any really definitive shots to show for sure about it's mandibles? I keep seeing lots of angled shots and can't tell.

Mike Todd

jhil_sw_mill_falcon_multi-tool_kit_det3.jpg

What if Chewie wasn't watching his side mirrors and hit into another parked vehicle? Han probably just hasn't noticed yet...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am fond of the 'variable geometry' mandibles- they way they are mounted to the hull looks like they could move some. The Falcon does have greebly crossing over the hull join with the mandibles- both hardware and plumbing/conduit. Those could be later additions by Lando and Han- a factory-pure edition would certainly have less greebly
The Toe-in would not be a problem though if they were static- the equipment along the inside of the mandibles would probably do the gripping, not the two mandibles closing.

- - - Updated - - -

If so it seems Han isn't in much of a hurry to make his deliveries :lol
Why should he worry- Jabba is well known for his compassion and understanding about problems with deliveries...

Actually, I think when the MF has a big load, it goes into haul mode. The entire ship gets taller as the sidewalls expand to nearly double the height. This also allows for the interior scenes to take place. So the MPC ship is a lot more accurate then any of us knew. Never, ever happens in any of the movies, but a great way to explain the kit, right? Again, not saying the mandibles don't move. People still keep throwing that out there. I said in my last post it actually makes some sense. But it makes no sense to base a model off of something that is possible but never happens in the movies.
Mike Todd

The Falcon is armed, so it was obviously designed with the intention of fulfilling a combat role in a space navy.
A FedEx truck wouldn't need guns. A navy tugboat might, but would you design a tugboat in the shape of a pancake?
It also has stations for a pilot, co-pilot, navigator, and 2 gunners.
A FedEx truck wouldn't need a 5 man crew. Nor would a tugboat.

Just look at the hoops everyone's jumping through trying to make this ship fit the description of a freighter.
I suspect that whoever named this a "freighter" meant to say "frigate" and just used the wrong word.
It makes perfect sense as a frigate. It makes zero sense as a freighter.

The Falcon is armed, so it was obviously designed with the intention of fulfilling a combat role in a space navy.
A FedEx truck wouldn't need guns. A navy tugboat might, but would you design a tugboat in the shape of a pancake?

Just look at the hoops everyone's jumping through trying to make this ship fit the description of a freighter.
I suspect that whoever named this a "freighter" meant to say "frigate" and just used the wrong word.

You're assuming the guns are part of the original design. They are more likely part of the "special modifications". As I mentioned in another post I believe the original stock configuration was quite different from how Han's Falcon looks.

Modern day Cargo ships have armed guards and cargo ships way back had cannons on them too. I believe your though process there to be wrong. I wouldn't pilot a cargo vessel through space without some type of weapon on it to defend myself from pirates and so on.

It sounds like the Han Solo film will cover him getting the Falcon. Maybe we will see a different premodified version of it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I dunno!

I have lived in some dicey parts of rochester and syracuse NY and I think the Fedex trucks there DO need some heavy armaments:lol

You're assuming the guns are part of the original design. They are more likely part of the "special modifications". As I mentioned in another post I believe the original stock configuration was quite different from how Han's Falcon looks.

What could the gun-wells have possibly been before they were gun-wells, though? They're a pretty prominent feature. They look integral to the design to me.
I can see Han hopping up the engine, installing a more modern nav-computer, maybe some better shields.
But gutting the core of his ship to install 2 quad-cannons and all the electronics for them? I think that's a stretch, man.

Modern day Cargo ships have armed guards and cargo ships way back had cannons on them too. I believe your though process there to be wrong. I wouldn't pilot a cargo vessel through space without some type of weapon on it to defend myself from pirates and so on.

I believe my thought process is correct, because if I were to pilot a cargo ship through space I would want a cargo ship that could... I dunno... carry cargo.

I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject, guys :lol
You believe whatever you want - I'm just trying to open your minds to the possibility that someone, a long time ago, said the wrong thing and it stuck.
If you can justify this ship as a cargo ship, more power to ya!
I can't.

Isn't the cargo he typically carried of the more discrete type? Carrying it in a ship that isn't obviously a freighter may be a way to avoid inspections. The speed, agility, and weaponry can come in handy too at times. It makes sense to me that it wasn't originally a freighter, but he modified a more agile ship to carry small, concealed loads of freight.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The Millennium Falcon's Owner's Workshop Manual states that the basic YT-series freighters had at least one turret as standard. I could be wrong though...

The Millennium Falcon's Owner's Workshop Manual states that the basic YT-series freighters had at least one turret as standard. I could be wrong though...

See, I don't care what that stuff says.
There's no such thing as a Correllian Shipworks that could publish a workshop manual on an actual spaceship that it actually built.
Lesser nerds than you or I have just been making this stuff up. For decades.
You guys can quote silly books all day long.
I'm looking at the ship. What does it's form suggest?
I'm a designer - function dictates form.

Function dictates form

"We've captured a freighter entering the remains of the Alderaan system...". The empire knew nothing of Han Solo or the Falcon, yet they recognized the ship as a freighter. It stands to reason that the design was well known as a freighter.

"We've captured a freighter entering the remains of the Alderaan system...". The empire knew nothing of Han Solo or the Falcon, yet they recognized the ship as a freighter. It stands to reason that the design was well known as a freighter.

Fine. You win.

BTW - this is what a freighter looks like:

ship.jpg

This is what a frigate looks like:

Streamer-Award-for-German-Frigate-FGS-Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.jpg

Which one says "Millennium Falcon" to you?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back