EFX legend vader helmet or similar

Just got to your PM today. The original ANH helmet was a wreck. To many (like myself and Mac) this is part of its charm, and what I've tried to do with Quasimodo. The eFX is a great helmet, but in terms of accurately replicating the finish seen on screen, I don't feel it's even close. Quasimodo is definitely a warts'n'all replica, but I'm happy to talk over details with you via pm!

Exactly. I own Vader Legend, it is beautiful, but too idealized and wish it looked more like the original seen here:

Vader_ANH_mask.jpg

Darth_Vader_ANH_01.jpg

Just got to your PM today. The original ANH helmet was a wreck. To many (like myself and Mac) this is part of its charm, and what I've tried to do with Quasimodo. The eFX is a great helmet, but in terms of accurately replicating the finish seen on screen, I don't feel it's even close. Quasimodo is definitely a warts'n'all replica, but I'm happy to talk over details with you via pm!

I never realized how imperfect the original helmet was until I read this. BTW, Quasimodo is da sh1t

Last edited:
I'll give a nod for the Quasimodo too. CS does an amazing job and is more dedicated to vader than I think most people realize. The EFX does have some provenance, but it's all but been sanded away in an effort yo sterilize the experience for the licensed product fans. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, as SOME of the detail is there, but it's just not the same. The original ANH dome and mask was so full of crazy detail and imperfections, I personally would want something to reflect the look of that.

CS knows what those original imperfections actually look like too. ^_^

I'll give a nod for the Quasimodo too. CS does an amazing job and is more dedicated to vader than I think most people realize. The EFX does have some provenance, but it's all but been sanded away in an effort yo sterilize the experience for the licensed product fans. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, as SOME of the detail is there, but it's just not the same. The original ANH dome and mask was so full of crazy detail and imperfections, I personally would want something to reflect the look of that.

CS knows what those original imperfections actually look like too. ^_^

I know the imperfections are more accurate on the Quasimodo but what about the overall shape???

I had a L.E. EFX Vader and what was amazing was that, as awesome as all previous Vader helmets were, when looking at the overall helmet it's obviously much more accurate which is not a surprise considering the source.

How does the Quasimodo compare to the EFX in overall shape??? I have studied the pics but you can't tell from pics as much as in person so I guess I am asking if anyone has both in person???

I loved my EFX but am considering seriously getting a Quasimodo to replace it?????

Help?????

I don't have first hand experience, but CS, knows what he's going for is a screen accurate look. Other than a direct cast from one of the real deals and for the price, it's hard to beat from what I've seen.

For someone who has studied ANH for 8 years, I enjoy the eFX as its vastly superior to the Don Post Deluxe, but having seen the SL faceplate's shape, I am still desiring more in an ultimate ANH. Various photos of different people's eFX domes indicate warpage. Thus, despite having great lineage and accurate features, the overall shape to me detracts from the screenused original.

I had to consider the process and approach of discovery of what makes the onscreen look as a form of art, and as subjective as that may be, there comes a point where one had to abandon the rulers and calipers and let instinct and intuition to allow art to organically take form.

I initially sculpted the Quasimodo V2 faceplate to approximate the eFX's proportions, but saw aspects of my sculpt that had a better look than if I had I made a millimeter for millimeter mimic of the eFX. It might be dimensionally similar to the eFX but aspects of my faceplate spoke to me that it had to become its own thing.

My sculpting approach to the dome allows me to optimize it to compliment the mask and to fashion it's shape to radiate a stronger ANH flavor than I feel that the eFX has because of the aforementioned warpage I've seen.

Bookface and I discussed at length the paint job needed to capture "the look". The eFX Legend technically has the correct paint style but still comes across as too tidy. It needed to imply that Vader had seen many years of action, and its surfaces needed to give a vibe of the fact that Brian Muir sculpted this out of clay, and despite sanding a first plaster casting, those hints survived in the screenused original.

Between my sculpt and bookface's incredible paintwork, hopefully we successfully captured these qualities with Quasimodo V2.

Hope you guys like and enjoy!

For someone who has studied ANH for 8 years, I enjoy the eFX as its vastly superior to the Don Post Deluxe, but having seen the SL faceplate's shape, I am still desiring more in an ultimate ANH. Various photos of different people's eFX domes indicate warpage. Thus, despite having great lineage and accurate features, the overall shape to me detracts from the screenused original.

I had to consider the process and approach of discovery of what makes the onscreen look as a form of art, and as subjective as that may be, there comes a point where one had to abandon the rulers and calipers and let instinct and intuition to allow art to organically take form.

I initially sculpted the Quasimodo V2 faceplate to approximate the eFX's proportions, but saw aspects of my sculpt that had a better look than if I had I made a millimeter for millimeter mimic of the eFX. It might be dimensionally similar to the eFX but aspects of my faceplate spoke to me that it had to become its own thing.

My sculpting approach to the dome allows me to optimize it to compliment the mask and to fashion it's shape to radiate a stronger ANH flavor than I feel that the eFX has because of the aforementioned warpage I've seen.

Bookface and I discussed at length the paint job needed to capture "the look". The eFX Legend technically has the correct paint style but still comes across as too tidy. It needed to imply that Vader had seen many years of action, and its surfaces needed to give a vibe of the fact that Brian Muir sculpted this out of clay, and despite sanding a first plaster casting, those hints survived in the screenused original.

Between my sculpt and bookface's incredible paintwork, hopefully we successfully captured these qualities with Quasimodo V2.

Hope you guys like and enjoy!

Okay I am sold. Your V2 it is. As soon as I can replace it I will go with your V2.

The ANH paint look has grown on me even though I like mostly idealized props. The ANH just has to have that "ANH" look. Shiny ones, or ones with nice clean paint jobs just look odd now.

So hopefully soon I can get your ANH V2, ROTJ Armor and the upcoming ESB and ROTJ Vader buckets.

BTW any chance you can do the ROTJ in three pieces "revealed" style???

Thanks for the generous compliments! Reach out to bookface when you are ready.

The armor I provided Bookface works in ANH, ESB and ROTJ arrangements in terms of shoulder bell placement. Additionally, I also calibrated the helmet and armor carefully to produce a realistic posture where average build people can wear it and not look like a hunchback or like the helmet was falling into the armor's neckline. This holistic approach was particularly rewarding when regarding a bust fully painted up.

I'm not a Reveal expert as I've focused mainly on ANH, but I can create authentic looking ESB and ROTJ from Quasimodo. A 3-part might make sense if offered with all the greebles, bits and bobs, but unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth to source all these. There are some who already provide really great Reveal kits.

:cry and now...again, I'm not sure if I want to stick with my ESB Ugly or upgrade to the Quasi v2

:lol

Upgrade! I'm honestly and sincerely of the belief that it will be significantly superior to Darth Ugly. Ugly is a great starting point. Quasimodo V2 ESB is some of my finest sculpting work, and I can't wait to see a truly fine paint finish by bookface!

Looking forward to having the V2 in Italy: I've just set an altar for this awesome helmet!
Thanks Mac and bookface

Upgrade! I'm honestly and sincerely of the belief that it will be significantly superior to Darth Ugly. Ugly is a great starting point. Quasimodo V2 ESB is some of my finest sculpting work, and I can't wait to see a truly fine paint finish by bookface!

Looking forward to having the V2 in Italy: I've just set an altar for this awesome helmet!Those
Thanks Mac and bookface
L

The Ugly and Quasimodo Vader helmets are superb, you can see the dedication and love put into making of these 2 beautiful lids. Wish I had space for any of them

You're not helping! :lol

Bookface is gonna hate me with all the questions I've asked him over the past few months and now I think I may be changing my mind. Unless he has already started it...I surely wouldn't do that to him and make him start over.

Just been a pain lol. Questions upon questions, ordered an ESB Ugly, then thought about getting the v2 once that thread was started showing the development of it. Deciding i stead to stick with Ugly and now rethinking it again :facepalm:lol. Of course if he's already started it then I'll be more than happy with Ugly. Decisions, decisions lol.

Just been a pain lol. Questions upon questions, ordered an ESB Ugly, then thought about getting the v2 once that thread was started showing the development of it. Deciding i stead to stick with Ugly and now rethinking it again :facepalm:lol. Of course if he's already started it then I'll be more than happy with Ugly. Decisions, decisions lol.

Bookface was sick during the Holiday Season so he's still catching up, and thus the Quasimodo V2 ESB development has slowed.

Deciding between Ugly and Quasimodo is simple. Both will look great in conjunction with the armor I provided bookface. (With Quasimodo, the paint finish is far more excellent and needs to be echoed appropriately with the armor. Hence with Ugly, ask for the "Ugly finish" to the armor, and for Quasimodo ask for the "Quasimodo finish" based on whether it's ANH, ESB or ROTJ you're pursuing.) As Scottjua had photographed it, Ugly ESB can look great, and even better as part of an armored bust arrangement. But for those needed the helmet to look more authentic, Quasimodo is absolutely the way to go. However, if you're not studied on all the intricacies and nuances of why Quasimodo is a superior sculpt to Darth Ugly, then you'd probably be happy with Darth Ugly, as I have not encountered anyone disappointed with Ugly as a sculpt. Tastes change and people's eye for props develop and people tend to upgrade.

My suggestion would be to decide sooner rather than later but be aware of the price difference. I don't know where in development you're at. The armor is basically the same sculpt for Ugly and Quasimodo. I hope I don't p*** Bookface off with my recommendation, but Darth Ugly is still in demand by the budget-conscious, so it will find a new home.

Just realize that the Quasimodo V2 ESB, although fully sculpted, still needs to be molded, painted and other things still need to be considered, whereas Darth Ugly has already been around and is more readily available.

Hope that helps.

Just stumbling upon and doing my research in the threads now for all the Vader helmets.. all roads lead to back to the Quasi V2 as the best option. I just need to save up or sell some things first :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back